BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] NOTW hacking scandals...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So NoTW hacked the police who were looking at NoTW hacking.

And they did it in such a way they knew they had been hacked.

And the Police did not investigate their own hacking???

It is at points like these, one begins to lose faith in decency and responsibility.

It will be interesting to watch the performance of the two Murdochs and Brooks when they appear before the Parliamentary select committee. MPs from all parties have been waiting for years to bring Murdoch to heel although they could be disappointed if the NI mob refuse to co-operate with the committee and stay silent like the Maxwell brothers famously did a few decades ago. This affair is going to rumble on for some time and is likely to have serious repercussions for News Corp (and hopefully its appalling offshoot Fox TV), the Met police which has questions to answer over corruption at the highest level, and with luck David Cameron, who has been reduced to a babbling wreck in the PMQs by Ed over his appalling lack of judgment in hiring Andy Coulson despite warnings not to do so.

Hinton seems to have left with dignity. If there's anything in the 9/11 hacking allegations, though, Rupert's in serious do-do.

I can't say I agree at all with phone hacking but it's obvious they've done it to gain an edge on other papers. A lot of companies do borderline things to gain edges although this one is well off the moral compass. Rupert (whether he knew about it or not) is certainly paying for it now.

Hinton was in charge of the flawed investigation into hacking at the Now, so I am not surprised he has gone. He's a loss to Rupert though, he's been working for him for over 50 years.

On the 9/11 issue only one media source claims it so far and that's The Mirror, that's what has prompted the US investigation. I wonder why other media sources aren't claiming it or providing any proof? On this issue I would be surprised if it's true, it's more likely the Mirror wants to give Murdoch a kicking. We will have to wait and see what the US authorities uncover or if the Mirror will have to do what the Guardian did (Brown's claims) and apologise to News Corp.

I think it's just a matter of time before other papers not owned by News Corp will get dragged into this and it turns out the practice was more widespread than first thought. The Mirror especially should be careful, there are accusations starting to fly around now that there was hacking under Morgan's watch as editor.

The fall out from the hacking scandal looks like rumbling in many different directions.

I believe the head of the Met Police position is likely to become untenable but the question is just how badly damaged the Met will be by all this. The words systemic failure of policing have not yet been uttered but must be coming soon.

Rupert Murdoch is in the twilight of his rein. The reality is that his strategic and financial performance in recent years has been pretty poor so the hacking scandal is simply triggering the sort of analysis any normal CEO would be subject to but Rupert has been untouchable on. The A and B class shares in NI is a scandal of corporate governance. It is likely that there will be a shift of spotlight onto Murdoch which will kill James' chances of succession and push Rupert out in the next six months. Don't rule out Elizabeth Murdoch as a successor though.

I am not sure about 9/11 hacking. Rupert's American achilles heel is far more likely to have been the small NoTW office in Los Angeles. The modus operanda of ignoring the law and hacking on an industrial scale is such that I find it impossible to believe those guys' weren't hacking and blagging their way around Hollywood. Why else would they be there?

Ed Miliband has come of age as Labour leader through this and is looking a figure of real authority.

Cameron has been seriously dimminished and is shrinking by the day.

Parliament has re-asserted itself and the Culture Select Committee members have the opportunity to become stars on Tuesday. Looking at its membership though, a few of them will flunk it through their inability to ask sharp incisive questions.

Well, I'm shocked, David Cameron's got strong links to News International, what a stunna. You'd never find a New Labour politician up to those sort of tricks, eh? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-murdoch-had-a-hotline-to-the-pm-in-the-runup-to-iraq-war-457825.html . Ooops.

Can't remember the last time I bought a red-top, and I can't remember the last time I bought a 'paper on a Sunday. The NOTW was vile, let's face it, you're not going to be reading that rag so as to partake in informed discourse at the next dinner party you attend. Personally I wouldn't have wiped my ass on the bloody thing.

Why did people buy the poxy thing, do they have an insatiable appetite for lynch-mob mentality news stories, which celeb was banging which celeb, who's divorcing who, who bloody cares.

The press in this country needs a good shake up.

I read an article that summed the whole situation up perfectly. This isn't so much about phone hacking. It's about years of pent up frustration at the influence the Murdoch empire has had on British lives over the last 30 years.

Where about's did you find the article?

With luck Murdoch will get kicked out of the UK for good.

If we can't even get rid of Abu Hamza whats the chances of doing so with Rupert Murdoch?

By all accounts I think they've done it for years anyway. ^_^

I know all media agencies aren't going to be kosher but I will never trust News Corp. ever again to present correct and balanced news obtained in a fair and legal way.

Wisest move is to distrust em all! My instincts would say that News Corp committed a cardinal sin... they got caught.

btw just for guidance which word is most suited to that sentence... distrust or mistrust? :huh:

Archived