BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boycott of Fulham Game

Which moderator is willing to admit deleting the posts advocating more forceful protests ?

Define forceful. If you're meaning advocating violence or harrasment in any way shape or form, then they will be deleted immediately.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it does in some way to be fair.

I would never think anyone who lives away from Blackburn is less of a fan but I do think they have no right to tell the people who do go how to support the team.

Like Abbey often says, he would never dream of going on a Denver Broncos site and telling the locals how they should act.

I'm giving my opinion on the absurdity of a 15 minute boycott, because the very idea is a contradiction in terms. Not being a regular fan doesn't make that any less truthful. Trying to twist that against me is a pretty insular outlook.

Sanctimony. You are telling people which choices to make when you don't put yourself in the same position to have to make those choices.

No, I'm saying that a boycott is a boycott. Super_Arran's idea is just a way of fans to have the best of both worlds whilst achieving nothing. Debate that point if you want, but don't make this personal.

Define forceful. If you're meaning advocating violence or harrasment in any way shape or form, then they will be deleted immediately.

Forceful = more meaningful than half-hearted shouts by a few fans. If fans want change the mob will have to rule.

Deleting those posts is pathetic.

• Backroom

I'm giving my opinion on the absurdity of a 15 minute boycott, because the very idea is a contradiction in terms. Not being a regular fan doesn't make that any less truthful. Trying to twist that against me is a pretty insular outlook.

No, I'm saying that a boycott is a boycott. Super_Arran's idea is just a way of fans to have the best of both worlds whilst achieving nothing. Debate that point if you want, but don't make this personal.

I can see both sides but the problem is when mentioning the gumption of people etc it becomes personal

Forceful = more meaningful than half-hearted shouts by a few fans. If fans want change the mob will have to rule.

Deleting those posts is pathetic.

If its anything condoning illegal acts it will be removed, pathetic or not.

Perhaps if you want to call for it, then stop hiding behind a pseudonym and put your real name behind it and face the consequences when the site is contacted by the police / club about encouraging as much. You'll otherwise be too busy being a keyboard warrior to do anything remotely similar to what you are suggesting.

Half-assed actions breed half-assed results.

This will probably appeal to those without the gumption to properly boycott, though.

i think protesting around and during games is pretty halve arsed,

Its not like anybodies putting themselves out because they would be going to the game regardless, having a protest at ewood the day before the game would show much more commitment and their wouldnt be the distraction of a game going on so all focus would be on the protest.

If its anything condoning illegal acts it will be removed, pathetic or not.

Perhaps if you want to call for it, then stop hiding behind a pseudonym and put your real name behind it and face the consequences when the site is contacted by the police / club about encouraging as much. You'll otherwise be too busy being a keyboard warrior to do anything remotely similar to what you are suggesting.

Did it all decades ago in my younger days battling Jim Iley matey.... and it worked.

Meanwhile you and the other lily-livered lot in the FF keep talking.........

i think protesting around and during games is pretty halve arsed,

Its not like anybodies putting themselves out because they would be going to the game regardless, having a protest at ewood the day before the game would show much more commitment and their wouldnt be the distraction of a game going on so all focus would be on the protest.

read the protest thread for weekend

I agree with Tom's comments re the personal stuff - although you can't just expect to tell people they are wrong from an ivory tower without the tower being mentioned.

A "15 minute boycott" protest at the start of the match would get some exposure as the spectacle of the empty 'home' areas would be shown on SSN, MOTD, etc. I agree it's a half-way house but it'd be that or nothing. The problem though is that it might still not get enough of an endorsement from fans.

The other problem is that there are people who still don't know what the protests are hoping to achieve - this is preventing buy-in. We really need the media to start to portray the fans side of it, with more people who ordinary fans can relate to like EwoodDawn, Gumboots, den, Tyrone and others. (No offence Glen).

If there is no buyer on the horizon, no white knight, what will be achieved by alienating Venkys further? I don't want them as owners but I'm struggling to articulate to people what that end game looks like. At least in targetting Kean, there are ready-made alternatives who could come in. With owners it's not quite so easy.

Once we can articulate the reason for the protests and get some local figures to actually join the protests, then we may get more buy in from more fans. For instance, what would it take for Kate Hollern or Jack Straw to join the marches?

protest that was at brockhall was very good considering, but i think ewood park would be better simply because their are a lot more fans living near by that would come down and there would be a lot more rovers fans passing by the could just join in, i know there prob wouldnt be anybody of significance working at ewood but that dont matter as long as theres a few journos there to report on it.

I know I've said this many times before, but for all the protests and boycotts, what are the actual aims ?

I can only come up with 6 possible ones.

1 To make the owners aware of how the fans feel

2 To make other fans realise they're not alone in how they feel

3 To make the world at large aware of our plight

4 To pressure the manager into resigning

5 To pressure the owners into some form of action (through potential worsening PR), either at the club, or my selling.

6 To make a frustrated fans feel that they've at least tried to make a difference.

1,2,3 - The first wave of protests achieved this perfectly, which is great credit to them. There isn't anyone vaguely connected with football or the town that doesn't know what's happening. It's hard to achieve, but it's been done and world normally have resulted in options 4 or 5, but hasn't.

4 - Would have happened long ago if it was going to. He's already survived the most notable Premier League protests even as well as having the worst PL record.

5 - They seem not to care about their brand in the UK (I'd love to see some kind of figures for brand reputation, Venky's in the UK must now be lower than Ratners) and the Indian press don't seem interested.

Which leaves 6.

I'm not saying people should give up trying (especially those trying something new), but ultimately, given all the indications so far, no protest, statements, PR stunts or boycotts are going to make the slightest difference. We're up against a women who stared down PETA, boycotts will make no difference to her.

7 Because of all of the above and to stop now, without any concession from anyone, would make the last 3 months completely pointless, and we may as well stop watching football altogether.

7 Because of all of the above and to stop now, without any concession from anyone, would make the last 3 months completely pointless, and we may as well stop watching football altogether.

Isn't that 6 in disguise ?

Isn't that 6 in disguise ?

I still fully believe a protest which is not happening during the match which is attended by thousands instead of hundreds would have a more diect impact, What makes Venkys tick is anyones guess as nothing they have said to date has come true.

I still hope (prob wishful thinking) that they can come good, as there is not a whole lot of options out there, as our product is less attractive now than it was when they bought it.

However they are not doing a great job of sorting things out, quite the opposite in fact, and protest came after they royally screwed up, and continued to screw up and not rectify mistakes

• Backroom

I know I've said this many times before, but for all the protests and boycotts, what are the actual aims ?

I can only come up with 6 possible ones.

1 To make the owners aware of how the fans feel

2 To make other fans realise they're not alone in how they feel

3 To make the world at large aware of our plight

4 To pressure the manager into resigning

5 To pressure the owners into some form of action (through potential worsening PR), either at the club, or my selling.

6 To make a frustrated fans feel that they've at least tried to make a difference.

1,2,3 - The first wave of protests achieved this perfectly, which is great credit to them. There isn't anyone vaguely connected with football or the town that doesn't know what's happening. It's hard to achieve, but it's been done and world normally have resulted in options 4 or 5, but hasn't.

4 - Would have happened long ago if it was going to. He's already survived the most notable Premier League protests even as well as having the worst PL record.

5 - They seem not to care about their brand in the UK (I'd love to see some kind of figures for brand reputation, Venky's in the UK must now be lower than Ratners) and the Indian press don't seem interested.

Which leaves 6.

I'm not saying people should give up trying (especially those trying something new), but ultimately, given all the indications so far, no protest, statements, PR stunts or boycotts are going to make the slightest difference. We're up against a women who stared down PETA, boycotts will make no difference to her.

There is a list of 33 aims in the latest press release from the action group or at least what is wanted from the owners, I found these 2 points of interest:

14. An action group to be set up elected by the supporters to work with the club on issues which arise. With a least a couple of these members becoming full time liaison officers within the club. The liaison officers will be paid roles by the club.

15. The club to endorse the BRST who will work as an independent body, and liaise with the newly formed action group.

Could the action group and trust not be one entity? I must say personally I see no need for 2 fans to come on the payroll of the club from any group but I don't know the full story behind that one or how its come about.

I hope BRST is up and running soon as there's certainly a call for it right now and would be backed strongly

There is a list of 33 aims in the latest press release from the action group or at least what is wanted from the owners, I found these 2 points of interest:

14. An action group to be set up elected by the supporters to work with the club on issues which arise. With a least a couple of these members becoming full time liaison officers within the club. The liaison officers will be paid roles by the club.

15. The club to endorse the BRST who will work as an independent body, and liaise with the newly formed action group.

Could the action group and trust not be one entity? I must say personally I see no need for 2 fans to come on the payroll of the club from any group but I don't know the full story behind that one or how its come about.

I hope BRST is up and running soon as there's certainly a call for it right now and would be backed strongly

I can answer this :rolleyes:

I am aware of the remit direction of the BRST as I have been working closely with them for a few months and their remit would not allow it to become one entity, which will become clear when Duncun does his presentation,

A professional liason officer who liases with supporters and the club is something lots of clubs have up and down the country and I think I read somewhere earlier tonight from Glenn P that he felt the cub needed a laision officer, after talking to other supporters, I tend to agree

In addition the points on the press release was compiled from emails, meetings, post on here which I asked people to post weeks ago when I opened a thread, asking supporters bar the sacking of Steve Kean "What was their concerns and what would they like to see"

I still fully believe a protest which is not happening during the match which is attended by thousands instead of hundreds would have a more diect impact, What makes Venkys tick is anyones guess as nothing they have said to date has come true.

I still hope (prob wishful thinking) that they can come good, as there is not a whole lot of options out there, as our product is less attractive now than it was when they bought it.

However they are not doing a great job of sorting things out, quite the opposite in fact, and protest came after they royally screwed up, and continued to screw up and not rectify mistakes

That's kinda my point, they are having an impact and in a normal situation, that impact would have have the desired effect. But this is far from a normal situation.

I too agree that I wish they'd have work (or ANYTHING would have worked, or even better, there way no need for them in the first place) but it hasn't, we're still heading for relegation not no obvious signs of improvement. I also agree there aren't a whole lot of other options.

• Backroom

I can answer this :rolleyes:

I am aware of the remit direction of the BRST as I have been working closely with them for a few months and their remit would not allow it to become one entity, which will become clear when Duncun does his presentation,

A professional liason officer who liases with supporters and the club is something lots of clubs have up and down the country and I think I read somewhere earlier tonight from Glenn P that he felt the cub needed a laision officer, after talking to other supporters, I tend to agree

Righto, I look forward to Duncan's bit then as he did good last time and BRST interests me greatly.

The liaison officer makes sense I suppose I just never heard of it before that's all.

Archived