BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anthony Modeste

Doesnt look up to much so far and probably no chance we will see him play again for rovers unless the Yak gets an injury.

Not sure if he has been gettin a run in the reserves or any other behind closed doors matches?

Worth havin in the squad for next season?

Doesnt look up to much so far and probably no chance we will see him play again for rovers unless the Yak gets an injury.

Not sure if he has been gettin a run in the reserves or any other behind closed doors matches?

Worth havin in the squad for next season?

I think he's only on loan from Bordeaux till the end of the season, so keeping him is not an option. In any event, he hasn't impressed at all has he ? Maybe if he was given an extended run and a chance to settle he could be alright, but now is not the time to do that in our current relegation fight. What I did see of him he made some poor choices and missed some sitters.

I suspect that getting him in was a stab in the dark in the vain hope that he would produce some instant magic, and provide some sort of useful backstop if Yak got suspended or injured..... Given that Goodwillie has turned out to be more of a doorstop than a backstop.

I want to know who is scouting players like Modeste.

Surely in January, we were looking at players who would be up for a relegation battle? Especially a loan signing.

Does seem like (another) gamble that hasn't paid off. I can only assume he's on the bench in case Yak gets injured. But where does that leave Wayne Goodwillie?

From what we've seen in his limited number of appearances, he's not a natural finisher.

You can't afford to carry players like that in the Prem. He'll be gone when his loan expires and we won't miss him.

• Backroom

If he'd scored one of his multiple chances against Newcastle he'd probably have got a run in a team. Unfortunately the words banjo and barn door come to mind... the last thing we need on the pitch is a striker who can't score goals, especially considering we have statistically the worst defence in the league.

Looks like a decent player who can bring others in to the game. A useful player for the bench to bring on with his pace and power. He is not a natural finisher though, so I can understand his absence.

You'd think we'd never signed players before who didn't come straight into the first team and win hatfulls of man of the match awards. It's signings like Yak that have been the exception since Hughes left.

A backup with some promise signed on loan makes perfect sense to me; it's signing dollopers like Goodwillie and Linganzi on multi-year deals that don't.

You'd think we'd never signed players before who didn't come straight into the first team and win hatfulls of man of the match awards. It's signings like Yak that have been the exception since Hughes left.

A backup with some promise signed on loan makes perfect sense to me; it's signing dollopers like Goodwillie and Linganzi on multi-year deals that don't.

Although to be fair it is wise to try and sign young talent, as we've learned in the past. Backup loans are indeed very useful, but signings with potential make more sense. The problem is, you can't get every transfer right. I can see why Allardyce and Goodwillie made those signings.

But the problem there is that loan signings are only ever going to cost money, so it's unsustainable to sign players in that way. When Modeste leaves, if we replace him with another loanee then that's going to cost...where does the money come from? At least when a non-loanee leaves you usually get some money to buy a replacement.

We have to take chances on players like Goodwillie and Linganzi to sustain Premier League football on a tight budget. It's a gamble and not an exact science - in a parallel world we might have been calling Samba and N'Zonzi dollopers. As it is, they turned out well and increased in value at least tenfold.

It only one or two bargain signings to pay for a bagful of failed 'dollopers' and still leave you some profit, so it's a risk we have to continue to take. That's why Hughes was perfect for us - he had a real eye for finding these players. Allardyce less so, but still not bad. Kean doesn't seem to have it at all.

But the problem there is that loan signings are only ever going to cost money, so it's unsustainable to sign players in that way. When Modeste leaves, if we replace him with another loanee then that's going to cost...where does the money come from? At least when a non-loanee leaves you usually get some money to buy a replacement.

We have to take chances on players like Goodwillie and Linganzi to sustain Premier League football on a tight budget. It's a gamble and not an exact science - in a parallel world we might have been calling Samba and N'Zonzi dollopers. As it is, they turned out well and increased in value at least tenfold.

It only one or two bargain signings to pay for a bagful of failed 'dollopers' and still leave you some profit, so it's a risk we have to continue to take. That's why Hughes was perfect for us - he had a real eye for finding these players. Allardyce less so, but still not bad. Kean doesn't seem to have it at all.

Since Hughes though we have needed to sell someone for 10x what we paid for them because we are only getting 1 in 10 signings right. Until we have a manager who gets 1 in 3 right I'll take the temporary loaners

Since Hughes though we have needed to sell someone for 10x what we paid for them because we are only getting 1 in 10 signings right. Until we have a manager who gets 1 in 3 right I'll take the temporary loaners

But surely any short term loan has to make an impact on the first XI or what's the point? Modeste is a loan signing, seemingly as back up for Yakubu because Goodwillie isn't up to it. Not ideal.

But surely any short term loan has to make an impact on the first XI or what's the point? Modeste is a loan signing, seemingly as back up for Yakubu because Goodwillie isn't up to it. Not ideal.

He's back up, which we need because Goodwillie is useless! How much impact do you want when he isn't being called on?

Do you think our first XI is strong enough? I don't.

Therefore if a 6-month loan signing was all we could do, I think we should have brought in a player who would be called upon, and good enough to be called upon. Our midfield is dire.

And who's fault is it that we need a back up for the back up?

Given we have very little transfer funds, we simply can't afford transfer mistakes of the magnitude Kean has managed.

Says it all about the foresight and strategic thinking to making signings. Add him to Bruno Ribeiro, and Simon Vukcevic (who I rate).

Bobby G I have to say it is very unfair to compare a player who gave the England right back the round around to someone who does the best impression of Jason Barn Door Roberts :D & that is being kind to the lad

I want to know who is scouting players like Modeste.Surely in January, we were looking at players who would be up for a relegation battle? Especially a loan signing.Does seem like (another) gamble that hasn't paid off. I can only assume he's on the bench in case Yak gets injured. But where does that leave Wayne Goodwillie?

Stuart you sum up all our thoughts exactly we really should have gone hell for leather and signed Andy Johnson a lot more experienced than Modeste in this league would not have cost much around 3M and would have been ideal but as we all know Venkys are doing everything on the cheap just makes me sick the damage these clowns have done to our proud football club in just over a year.

I thought Jol refused to sell Andy unless a ridiculous fee was offered?

Modeste hasn't really had that many games to do anything and I don't think any striker we could've brought in would have been able to displace Yakubu from the starting lineup anyway. Modeste was obviously brought in as backup and probably falls in the Di Santo/Mame Diouf category.

Goodwillie is a strange signing because surely he needs to play in a 4-4-2 to do a decent job, which we rarely do and he would have to get in front of Hoilett and Rochina for a starting spot as well.

Archived