BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Premiership Years

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I'd love to hear people's opinion on this.

I think the reason we didn't strengthen was because Jack felt we already had a good enough squad. He was a very loyal man and likely extended that loyalty to the team that won the title.

It's a shame, because our decision to basically stick with the same players ultimately backfired on us - particularly as without Kenny the players seemed only half as motivated.

I'd love to hear people's opinion on this.

Kenny Dalglish of all people would have known that we had to strengthen. It was always the Liverpool way, no matter what they had won the season before, to freshen up the squad by bringing in a couple of new faces. One of the few mistakes Jack made was not supporting this ideal. I don't know whether the quote "What do we need Zinadine Zidane for when we've got Tim Sherwood?" is true or urban myth, but we could have challenged for that title for a few years if we'd brought players of that calibre to the club.

When you think of the millions we threw down the toilet in the late 90s, yet we didn't strengthen in '95.

Our time wouldn't have lasted forever- the likes of Abramovich and Man Utd becoming a mega sized club would have put paid to that- but we could have had a good 5 years of challenging for and winning trophies.

Nevermind ay! :brfc:

Memories are too many too mention for me, I have seen the best, the very good, the average, the mediocre and the very worst. However, during these current times there is nothing positive to say in the same sentence as Blackburn Rovers FC. The institution that I knew as BRFC is no more, its a poor resemblence of the once proud football club it used to be.

My story would be very very simple.........

A long time ago a club was formed, a club that in its very early years ruled the football world and was known all over the world because of its unique Blue and White quarteer/halves hirt. It boasted players who bled their all for the club, played for their country or origin and who took pride simply being allowed to represent the name of Blackburn Rovers FC. The one thing about that club was that it wasnt the massive household name like your Man United and Liverpool but it was a club honed on its motto ARTE ET LABORE. Through the years the club were the only team to have won the FA CUP 3 times on the bounce, it won the league and won many FA Cups.Hoever as time went on, the two world wars and the general down turn of the industrial ages Blackburn Rovers couldnt manage to stay in the top leagues of football and it suffered relegation and languished deep in the old 3rd Division. However, the same old ethics remained at the club, it employed players who WANTED to play, players who were not afraid to put in a shift, players who had pride and players who simply wanted to take the club higher. Money was tight and it was often rumoured the club couldnt pay the electric bills BUT the men at the helm ALWAYS looked after the clubs interests first and foremost, the club treated its small but LOYAL support with true dignity and respect and it was because of these type of virtues that the club had a mutiual respect from its fans.

Through the 70's the club had some good players, players who went to much bigger clubs for then big transfer fees allowing the club to continue to operate. That was the way of the world back then but the club always survived and then found a way back into Division 2 gaining promotion and winning the then 3rd Division title. I know as I was there and will never forget the team being lead out and saluting its supporters with genuine appreciation of the achievements of this little town club.

As we entered the 80's the club had some quality successes and failures. We became a regular in the play offs, we had players like Keeley, Fazackerly, McKenzie,Garner and Brotherston and so on. The list of names is endless as they entertained us with the skills and efforts. Memories likes the FA Cup run when we knocked out the likes of Coventry in the most ugliest kit ever seen, Archibald netting twice versus Villa, Ardiles netting agaisnt Swindon, Garner scoring 4 versus Derby, breaking the club goal scoring record on that infamous day of the Bradford fire versus City and so on. Theere were numerous efforts in the play off semi finals, we had a marvellous day at Wembley winning the Full Members Cup having battered Chelsea and Ipswich along the way and seeing a young Colin Hendry smash that winner versus Charlton will remain ingrained forever. 30000 fans taking over Wembley.

We then had the dream of a local business man come to the ears of the Rovers fans. One day there were newspaper headlines that Rovers had tried to sign Gary Lineker for £2million. The worlds press laughed out loud, just who the hell do Blackburn think they are wanting to buy GARY BLOODY LINEKER ? It was serious though, Jack Walker has sounded out buying the club behind the lines and suddenly Rovers had dreams, dreams of big time football, big named players. The stars didnt take too long to arrive. We had a manager called Don Mackay. he had done very well with the assets available to him but just couldnt get us over the line into the promised land and ultimately he paid the price and at that point the NEW BLACKBURN ROVERS arrived. The media went into overdrive as KENNY DALGLISH, the famous Celtic, Liverpool and Scottish number 7, the man who had managed Liverpool was sudenely linked to the managers job. Again media fever took over as Rover struggled in the then Division 1. The home game versus Plymouth didnt exactly whet the lips for most fans but then there he was KING KENNY sat with JACK WALKER having been unvield as the new Rovers manager. The club lifted off. The game was remembered as a spanking for Argyle again as Rovers cruised home being cheered on by the smiling J Walker. Game on and Jacks dream was alive and kicking. The hopes of all Rovers fans were raised with the arrival of Kenny and the man with the money, our own UNCLE JACK, one of us, a real football supporter and a man of the town.

Quickley and quite outlandishly money was being sent to all corners of the football arena ad players came in to take this club into the echelons of top tier football, knowing just how big a prize was to be had with the forthcoming birth of the Premier League. Rovers played some beautiful footall, beating all that appeared before them however, one player more than most epitomised BRFC arrived the elgend that was DAVID SPEEDIE. This little snarling Scot had a fearsome reputation of being a winner, a Chelsea wideboy. His fighting spirit on the pitch was a sight to behold. His indominatable spirit was simply an asset you couldnt buy. Even as Rovers hit the proverbial brick wall as the end of season nerves arrived it was SPEEDIE alonwe who dragged Rovers kicking to the play offs once more. This time the dream appeared to die within 15 minutes as a team called Derby went 2-0 at Ewood before Rovers could even get going. Enter another God in Mike Newell. Befor we knew it Rovers had a 4-2 lead and Ewood was bouncing. The midweek second leg was a game that will live long in my memory with Derby looking to progress on away goals a hneader by Kevin Moran sent us all heading to Wembley with a final against a much favoured Leicester and a final meeting with our old foe, an ogre of a referee called George COURTNEY. Anyone who went to Wenblwey that day will recall the heat, the excitement and the good feelings as Rovers and Leicester turned Wembley into a blue and yellow fest. A single goal from Mike Newell sent us to heaven, a penalty or not won by Speedie, noone cared as kenny led his boys dancing around Wembley whilst the whole little town of Blackburn went absolutely mad. The sheer look of Jack Walker and King Kenny told the football world Blackburn Rovers had arrived.

It was at this point the world took notice of this little town club from the North West. Everyone laughed and mocked but big money talked and we saw record signings in Shearer coming to Ewood for over £3m. He was joined by others as Rovers enjoyed a high scoring draw at Palace. that day was worth remembering as I had got married just 24 hours earlier. The following week our first home game in the big league and a game versus Arsenal, one of the biggest clubs around. Ewood, and we all stood in awe, as that man SHEARER scored a goal that gave us 3 points. The story went on. little old Rovers ended up finishing 4th in the league, it got better the following year when we finished 2nd and then the ultimate, 1995 saw rovers become CHAMPIONS of England. the twon rejoiced, the club was the best beasue the league table said we were, we were at that point bugger than man united, Liverpool and everyone else. Our dreams, given to us by a man called JACK, had all come true. His dream had come true and his club were number 1. The word CHAMPIONS was painted on a chimney near the ground, it went worldwide.

The next few years saw mixed fortunes then tragedy, the cub found itself back in the second tier of football. Even more of a tragedy the man known as UNCLE JACK suddenly passed away through illness. One man came along, another Liverpool and Scottish legend in Graeme Souness and he took the club by the scruff of its neck and turned fortunes around. A marvellous night at Preston saw the club retain its rightful place and we took our place back in the big time. One thing remained unchanged at this time, the dreams and hopes of it supporters and the men behind the scenes, the fans would always come first.

As we set out our stall in the big league, the unthinkable happened, Rovers went al the way to a cup final agaisnt one of the really big cup final teams in Tottenham. We didnt stand a chance the whole football world backed spurs only to see Souness and the mighty BLUE and WHITE army take Cariff over and return North with the trophy. The memories of a 9 hour trip back home remain as fresh as ever.

The next few years saw Rovers regularly in cup semi finals, playing all over in Europe and having moderate success in the league, the dreams were still there, the hopes and expectation of the fans remained and the club was always in the heart and minds of its own fans. The club, hated by the press but adored by its fans. The club, reknowned throughout football as a real family club, a club that everyone should be modelled on as a shining example. A club with proud tradition, fighting spirit and a will to upset the applecart, a club that took on the biggest and best without fear and a stadium for each and everyone associated with BRFC to be utterly proud of.

Then in 2010/11 an Indian family came along and destroyed it all within 18 months.

That was my mate, a short story about a club that used to be called Blackburn Rovers FC.

Well, if we just focus on the time since we came back up we still have a wealth of amazing talent. Some of the players we have had 2002-2012 have been excellent:-

A best of team could look something like

--------------------Brad

Berg-----Samba----Nelsen---Warnock

Bentley---Tugay---Savage---Duff

---------McCarthy---Bellamy

Subs:- Cole, Jensen, Yorke, Santa Cruz, Hoilett, Dunn, Robinson

Brad, Tugay, Duff and Bellamy are arguably better players than we saw in the Championship winning side, the awesome Shearer aside.

Well, if we just focus on the time since we came back up we still have a wealth of amazing talent. Some of the players we have had 2002-2012 have been excellent:-

A best of team could look something like

--------------------Brad

Berg-----Samba----Nelsen---Warnock

Bentley---Tugay---Savage---Duff

---------McCarthy---Bellamy

Subs:- Cole, Jensen, Yorke, Santa Cruz, Hoilett, Dunn, Robinson

Brad, Tugay, Duff and Bellamy are arguably better players than we saw in the Championship winning side, the awesome Shearer aside.

I'd have Matty Jansen in before Benny MacDonalds any day of the week. Dwight Yorke ? Waster. Savage ? Not for me. I'd have either of the Jones boys in there first. Too many forwards in your subs, who goes to centre half in event of an injury ?

I remember Scotty carrying me and Jordan up some stairs in Krakow.

The memories....our first away win in Europe. Singing happy birthday to Robbie savage after the game. Thinking back it was such a fantastic time to follow blackburn. The 15 hour coach journey from Warsaw to vilnius for the intertoto cup is another great memory and also the welcome which we received on our arrival into Ankara for the genclerbelegi game. So many great memories!

Archived