BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] euro12 thread

Wales, Switzerland, Austria, Macedonia, etc. I missed a few.

But yes, I don't think one round will have much of a negative impact, seeing how this time around, there were two groups of death really, B and C. Also, as it stood, respectful to all, there is a big disparity in talent between the best and the lesser teams already.

To another post, I'm not sure if one more round would hurt the chances of darkhorse teams, Greece, Denmark, etc. to go through.

I agree. 16 teams is perfect; adding eight more poor teams will only make the tournament worse.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But yes, I don't think one round will have much of a negative impact, seeing how this time around, there were two groups of death really, B and C. Also, as it stood, respectful to all, there is a big disparity in talent between the best and the lesser teams already.

This "one more round" is likely to be another "league" involving 3 matches extending the tournamant by another week, making it over-long and tired players even more tired.

The Euros format is perfect with 16 teams; expanding it to 24 teams like the World Cup is a bad idea.

Which makes it highly likely it will go ahead.

what makes the euros better than the world cup is its the best teams the continent has to offer, so there are no saudi arabias, jamaicas, scotlands etc, every game is difficult, bar brazil, argentina, uruguay, no team from outside europe would be able to compete

what makes the euros better than the world cup is its the best teams the continent has to offer, so there are no saudi arabias, jamaicas, scotlands etc, every game is difficult, bar brazil, argentina, uruguay, no team from outside europe would be able to compete

The World Cup would not be the world cup obviously without the other tournaments and Cameroon, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, Australia, USA, Ghana, agree or not, there have been plenty of other decent sides in the World Cup. I think what brings the World Cup down more than anything is the inconsistent refereeing and dramatics.

Of the above, take Australia, went out in 2006 after that penalty given to Italy at the death of the game and in the end, I think was a proper penalty though not in the spirit of the game. In 2002, you could say Germany blocked a goal from the US per a hand ball and of course, Ghana's game vs. Uruguay last time around. I don't think these teams are that much weaker than Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay. In fact in recent years, Argentina is not routinely defeating Mexico, USA or Chile.

One could easily make a case that the Euro should be downsized again to 8 or 4 teams the way it was for years I believe.

After all, the last two Euros has had teams like Ireland, Sweden, Romania, Latvia, one could say these other teams have not been top quality along with the hosts for the last 2 tournaments, Austria, Switzerland, Poland and Ukraine.

When there are co-hosts, this indeed is a problem, you don't have 16 positions being competed for but only 14.

One could easily make a case that the Euro should be downsized again to 8 or 4 teams the way it was for years I believe.

European championships 1976 in Yugoslavia had only 4 teams - Czechs, Netherlands, West Germany and Yugoslavia - playing in effect 2 semi-finals, a final and third-place play-off after a qualfying tournament over the previous 12 months involving eight qualifying groups and knockout two-legged quarter-finals with the winners going to the finals.

It was the best international tournament I have seen, Europe's best 4 teams going at each with all guns blazing in a brilliant display of attacking football.

Then they spoilt it by expanding it to 8 teams.

Gutted because half my family is German and as such I'm supporting them, however, I backed Italy to win the tournament at 16/1 and Balotelli to be leading scorer at 30-odd/1 before a ball was kicked so every cloud 'n' all that. :tu:

• Backroom

Italy are taking the chances today that they blew against England. Simple as that. Balotelli had the exact same chance against England and totally wasted it.

Germany are totally on their arse, here. Shellshocked and out of confidence.

Ireland weren't that impressive. I imagine most recent Euros had at least one weaker side. You could probably have given a better example of a weaker side than Scotland. But you seem to have a strong anti-Scottish sentiment that Dalglish and Souness did not diminish. I suppose Steve Kean is a w####r. We've never actually got out of the group stages in the World Cup though, although we have the record for most times going out on goal difference. It's 4 or 5 I think. The non-European sides who qualify are good teams because they have qualified at the expense of others. Apart from when Australia used to qualify after beating Samoa and Fiji.

Quite a few sides trouble the good European sides. South America have other good teams like Chile and whoever is good at the time like Paraguay, Colombia etc. Africa has some good sides eg Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon etc. Teams like USA and Australia aren't bad sides. It's football after all and upsets happen all the time. There's too many factors eg the referee, linesman, luck comes into play, the keeper for example can have a great game. There are negatives in having more teams but for me they all pale in comparison to the millions and millions of natives who are ecstatic that their team have qualified.

What a finish by Balotelli there. Liked the first goal as well.

Shows what a good team England were to hold Italy for 120 minutes.

No, its shows how England camped 11 men behind the ball for 90 mins. England can not be described as a good team in any way shape or form.

Arent you the person who described Spain as anti football, but praise England for playing like THAT?

yes and it worked because italy didnt score, when italy used to do that it was described as an art when england do it its described as cheating

England were criticised for defending and showing little attacking ambition but who said they cheated ? You're right though - Italy have always been lauded for their defence yet England were lambasted for defending like heroes.

Good to see the Germans struggling but supporting Italy is hard - bit like a Burnley - Preston match in which you want neither side to win.

Do you remember Hart missing a save or failing to make one as I cant

I just remember Balotelli being clean through a fair few times with a simple ball over the top leaving Lescott and the lumbering Terry in no mans land, fortunately Balotelli didn't take any of his numerous chances against us.

Hart or any other goalkeeper for that matter wouldn't have got close to either of Balotelli's goals tonight.

• Backroom

Hey guys

QPR beating Arsenal and Liverpool shows just how good a job Steve Kean did to beat them

Logic eh?

Italy battered us and we were lucky they missed easy chances and the post came to our rescue twice

Italy played well in the first half but I think that was a large part due to the tactical setup and team selection Low put out. Podolski has been a complete non entity in the tournament, no way he should have started. I think it was also a mistake to play Kroos, Low completely changed the central midfield and it just didn't work at all. Gomez up front was probably a mistake as well, Klose has better movement and would have linked up the play better which was clear in the second half.

Germany will still be a force (perhaps more so) in 2 years time.

Archived