BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] euro12 thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The day after Italy knocked England out of Euro 2012, Daniele de Rossi wandered out into the square near the train station in Krakow, hand-in-hand with his young daughter.

Nobody bothered him, no one asked for his autograph.

A few days earlier, Theo Walcott had sat down in another square less than a mile away and the Englad star was approached by a steady stream of autograph hunters and well-wishers.

Both are high-profile. But Walcott plays in the Premier League. Its reach is growing and growing.

- Oliver Holt

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The day after Italy knocked England out of Euro 2012, Daniele de Rossi wandered out into the square near the train station in Krakow, hand-in-hand with his young daughter.

Nobody bothered him, no one asked for his autograph.

A few days earlier, Theo Walcott had sat down in another square less than a mile away and the Englad star was approached by a steady stream of autograph hunters and well-wishers.

Both are high-profile. But Walcott plays in the Premier League. Its reach is growing and growing.

- Oliver Holt

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Lots of people in Krakow look like Di Rossi but there are a lot less who look like Theo Walcott.

Spain play Anti-football?

Have you watched England or Chelsea recently?

Spain and Barcelona make football a very dull sport with their constant possession and passing. Hate to say it because it's them but the Germans have it right with a more direct style in which they always try to score goals - and when they score one they are not content to sit back but go in search of two, three or more. Someone should tell the Spanish the game is about scoring goals, not passing the ball back and forth ad infinitum till we all go to sleep.

One of the reasons Ruby League (and yawnion for that matter) supporters refer to association footbal as Wendyball. :lol:

Rugby fans who knock football are tossers. They should stick to egg-chasing.

Egg-chasing? Wow, never heard that one before. So very funny (yawn).

Listen, Wendy, get to platform six, Crewe railway station, put on your grey anorak and grey slacks. Don't forget your pencil and notebook because there's a Class 69 coming in bringing, eye shadow, lipstick, tanning lotion, gloves (soft bar stewards) and pink knickers for next seasons new batch of Premier League players.

Someone should tell the Spanish the game is about scoring goals, not passing the ball back and forth ad infinitum till we all go to sleep.

Hang on, weren't you one of those who said it was all about winning and entertainment doesn't matter?

• Backroom

Spain through

No real qualms with their style myself I find it dull but whatever works for you.

Looking to the final less now though I don't remember watching them in an entertaining game

• Backroom

You can't change the order, they just got the third and fourth mixed up

Can't you? Didn't realise that. Ronaldo shouldn't have been down as 5th regardless tbh, should have been 3rd or 4th.

Pathetic indictment of present day football at the so called higher levels. At the slightest suggestion of any contact players go down like babies, screaming and clutching various body parts until the poor ref is conned into halting the game and brandishing a flurry of yellow cards. I can't bring myself to watch any more of this pantomime stuff. Germany are as bad as any of the Latin nations, and in fact they were at it years before anyone else caught the disease. I'll find something less sick-making to do from now on.

Spain and Barcelona make football a very dull sport with their constant possession and passing. Hate to say it because it's them but the Germans have it right with a more direct style in which they always try to score goals - and when they score one they are not content to sit back but go in search of two, three or more. Someone should tell the Spanish the game is about scoring goals, not passing the ball back and forth ad infinitum till we all go to sleep.

Thanks for that Jim, it's not every day I get called a tosser.

Poor game all told but what could both sides centre backs teach England about how to take a pen??? Still, enjoyed the look on the preening pounces mush at the end......

As for the rugby vs football argument; I love Union, from our local team Aberdeen Grammer to International which I am lucky enough to get to many games. I simply adjust my "head" before watching as both sports have differing issues; the All Blacks and the Aussie constantly infringing at the breakdown etc....

Bottom line, enjoy each sport for the enjoyment it brings and marvel at the individual and collective skill; and if you don't like it either don't pay to watch it or turn it off!

• Backroom

Let's not get drawn into a rugby v football thread in here

Open a thread in ICBINF if you want to debate it

By the way does this tournament have a third place playoff?

Never understood the point in them

Spain through to another final. For all this talk about them being 'boring' and susceptible to pressure (who isn't?) they've just taken another step to playing for their third successive championship, all while conceding a single goal. Remarkable.

Rather sure there is NO 3rd place game in the Euro:

Ronaldo said:

"The penalties? I was going to take the next one," he told SIC.

"I feel sad. Losing a semi-final in the penalty shoot-out is always painful, but it is a lottery: the luckier side wins.

"I think it was a good tournament on our part. We did very well. We are amongst the best four teams in Europe and the only reason we do not reach the final is because we were not lucky.

"We have to be proud of what we did, but we are a bit frustrated because we know we could reach the final.

"I gave my best, so I am satisfied with that I did. We deserved to be in the final, but we were not lucky."

http://www.soccerway...-penalty-taker/

You tell 'em Ronnie, Spain were just lucky, I wonder if he said this in English.

In the end, England's loss is easier to accept, we were dominated, this loss for Portugal is difficult. But congrats Portugal for a good tourney.

This article is worth pondering: http://www.worldsoccer.com/columnists/prilos-masterclass-exposes-dearth-of-english-creativity ...

Archived