BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] euro12 thread

Okay, a lot of people say that expanding the number of countries in the Euro may dilute it but I think this tournament already shows there is a big disparity between the Elites and the rest of the teams.

In 2016, there will be 24 countries competing, this must mean one more round of playoffs as well. I think this may be good.

So, countries we will be more likely to see in the future or at least have a chance to go:

Turkey

Scotland

Bosnia-Herzogovina

Ireland Republic, yes, they went this time finally.

Belgium

Serbia

Montenegro

Romania

Norway

Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Finland

Northern Ireland

Iceland

ByloRussia (? spelling)

Slovenia

And more.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how anyone can say Spain is dull, surely it is up to the opther team to press the pace and force them into a mistake, the quality of play is amazing and their opponents keep playing into their hands. It will be interesting to see if Germany/Italy can get an early goal on them in the final and see how it opens up

It's dull because , unless the oppostion get an early goal and force them to come out and play, they seem to have forgotten the object of the game is to put the ball in the net. Most teams with their percentage of possession would get at least 3 goals a game. They are quite happy to get one and often that's late on when they have bored the opposition into submission. They are technically gifted but in no way exciteing to watch. When we played the dull "wear teams down" style of football it was because we had to work that way. They don't but they still choose to play as though they do. It's the mentality of their game that is dull, not individual players or their skill.

If you're going to use that criteria then there's probably a better argument for Iniesta or Xavi than Messi or Ronaldo?

I think that all the time. I do think you have to do it for your country in the context of best player in the world. The real issue is choosing between Xavi and Iniesta. Although I like Iniesta for his versatility. Not that it makes him better. It's more when you consider the greatest ever.....you have to do it internationally imo......with exceptions such as George Best as he never really had the opportunity to.

Rugby fans who knock football are tossers. They should stick to egg-chasing.

You forgot men hugging each other then falling over.

Del Bosque should never have dropped Pedro after the France game. He may pay the price now.

He has had an average season for Barca, I presume that is the reason.

Disappointing to see it end on penalties. Ronaldo should have taken the 4th, didn't have the courage to change the order though by the looks of it.

He wanted the 5th to potentially get the glory.......the best penalty takers should be in the first 3 as they're the only ones guaranteed to take one.

Spain through to another final. For all this talk about them being 'boring' and susceptible to pressure (who isn't?) they've just taken another step to playing for their third successive championship, all while conceding a single goal. Remarkable.

Indeed. Allied to their undoubted ball skills and a crop of good players they have adapted to the current hopeless application of the rules by referees. Lose the ball and if there is any sort of physical contact they go to ground screaming in mock anguish like stuck pigs and almost automatically are awarded a free kick and of course regain the possession for which they are famed and which they base their football philosophy around.... If their opponenets don't have the ball they can't score.

They aren't the only ones to adopt those methods of course but they are the most adept and subsequently the biggest culprits. It's a tactic thats served them and the club at their breeding ground in Barcelona very well. They have won the lot.

Sorry but I can't admire that sort of crap. It's anti football and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Ronaldo said: "Quote

"The penalties? I was going to take the next one," he told SIC.

"I feel sad. Losing a semi-final in the penalty shoot-out is always painful, but it is a lottery: the luckier side wins.

"I think it was a good tournament on our part. We did very well. We are amongst the best four teams in Europe and the only reason we do not reach the final is because we were not lucky.

"We have to be proud of what we did, but we are a bit frustrated because we know we could reach the final.

"I gave my best, so I am satisfied with that I did. We deserved to be in the final, but we were not lucky."

In fairness one pen hit the woodwork and unluckily rebounded out whilst the next hit the woodwork and luckily rebounded in. A centimeter either way for both and Portugal would have had the luck and Spain would have gone home.

What Ronaldo needs to reflect on most is when clear on goal how to clinically stick a shot low across a keeper and inside the far post rather than blazing high and wide in a stupid hit and hope, glory hunting moment of rashness. If I were his manager I'd sit him down in front of some videos of Lionel Messi to see how it's done.

Football is about winning gord. We have had many a debate re BRFC on this very issue.

The only 'anti football' is losing football- step forward Steve Kean.

Indeed. And also why they have picked up so many new fans and acolytes. Winning is indeed everything...... but only for the supporter!. For the neutral of casual observer it is one big turn off and that is the elephant in the room which the authorities will have to deal with.

Indeed. Allied to their undoubted ball skills and a crop of good players they have adapted to the current hopeless application of the rules by referees. Lose the ball and if there is any sort of physical contact they go to ground screaming in mock anguish like stuck pigs and almost automatically are awarded a free kick and of course regain the possession for which they are famed and which they base their football philosophy around.... If their opponenets don't have the ball they can't score.

They aren't the only ones to adopt those methods of course but they are the most adept and subsequently the biggest culprits. It's a tactic thats served them and the club at their breeding ground in Barcelona very well. They have won the lot.

Sorry but I can't admire that sort of crap. It's anti football and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Nonsense Gordon. Spain and Barca are the best around at chasing and harrying their opponents in to a mistake, it does them a huge disservice, and it's completely wrong, to say they dive to get the ball back.

So spain in another final.

If they had a in form striker they would be a sight. They are missing Villa something terrible.

I expect the Germans to win tonight, Pirlo is good but that german midfield is very strong.

Either way we will be treated to a decent match tonight I think.

Nonsense Gordon. Spain and Barca are the best around at chasing and harrying their opponents in to a mistake, it does them a huge disservice, and it's completely wrong, to say they dive to get the ball back.

I'll concede they work extremely hard to chase the ball down after they have lost it and only after their histrionics have failed but the Portugese out did em last night for 90 mins.

btw Hard workers out of possession include the Italians against us and the Germans.... The four semi finallists in fact. ^_^ T4E you need to think of my words when you watch those barca players. Report back when you have. ;)

In fairness one pen hit the woodwork and unluckily rebounded out whilst the next hit the woodwork and luckily rebounded in. A centimeter either way for both and Portugal would have had the luck and Spain would have gone home.

What Ronaldo needs to reflect on most is when clear on goal how to clinically stick a shot low across a keeper and inside the far post rather than blazing high and wide in a stupid hit and hope, glory hunting moment of rashness. If I were his manager I'd sit him down in front of some videos of Lionel Messi to see how it's done.

I suspect Ronaldo spends any spare evenings he has watching videos of Messi while eating cheeky Mars bars and crying himself to sleep.

In 2016, there will be 24 countries competing, this must mean one more round of playoffs as well. I think this may be good.

So, countries we will be more likely to see in the future or at least have a chance to go:

Turkey

Scotland

Bosnia-Herzogovina

Ireland Republic, yes, they went this time finally.

Belgium

Serbia

Montenegro

Romania

Norway

Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia

Finland

Northern Ireland

Iceland

ByloRussia (? spelling)

Slovenia

And more.

No it isn't good. It means another over-bloated tournament, it means more matches, more leagues, more knackered players, more boredom. Just like the Champions League and the World Cup.

The Euros at present are like old World Cups with fewer teams, more knockout and more exciting matches.

But then Blatter and Platini want to go and spoil it.

I'll be rooting for Germany tonight, I've been impressed by Italy but more so by Germany.

The Germans play direct but very technically good football and then when you throw in the hard-working and determination they really are a joy to watch.

Italy are Germany's bogey side, but with the way the Germans are playing and factoring in that Italy had two days less to prepare I would be surprised if Italy pull off a win. You can’t rule them out with their pedigree and hopefully overall it will be a much better game than last night.

No it isn't good. It means another over-bloated tournament, it means more matches, more leagues, more knackered players, more boredom. Just like the Champions League and the World Cup.

The Euros at present are like old World Cups with fewer teams, more knockout and more exciting matches.

But then Blatter and Platini want to go and spoil it.

Increasing to 24 teams only actually means 1 more round to the final. I think we can stand it.... It will also be great for Scotland/Wales/N Ireland/Bosnia etc etc who never get to go to a major tournament - teams who will be passionate and really up for giving it all.

It really won't joey. Around HALF of those that play the qualifiers will be at the finals. Discount the San Marinos and it is going to be hard not to qualify. Then some teams that come third in their group will get to the knockout stage.

Not exactly the top class competition we have known.

Chin up mate, Rovers are back in action next month....

Then again.

It's OK pal. I fell out of love with the Premier league about 13 years ago, saw the light and started watching Accy Stan instead. It's an absolute pleasure to see 22 hungry lads trying to earn a crust and giving100% on the pitch with no prima donnas in sight. I used to sit on the boards in front of the wall around the edge of the Ewood pitch in the early 50's after popping into Bill Eckersley's shop, then watching him give a master class in international standard full back play. My love affair with Rovers saw me following them all over the country, from the Tommy Briggs era, to winning promotion from div 3 with Gordon Lee's side at Port Vale, standing silent on the Kop as Andy McEvoy or Duggie banged in the winner at Liverpool, the marvellous 1960 cup run, etc, etc., so many glorious memories. My heart bleeds for you guys who have had to suffer so horribly in recent years in comparison with those momentous old times.

And having an extra round will make the overall tournament harder to win, which will make fairy tales like the Danish and Greek wins far less likely.

Just like the champions league then.

I think you can safely add English wins into that fairy tale bracket now.

Really looking forward to tonights game. I'm actually confident of an Italy victory.

The expected line up is

Buffon

Chiellini Bonucci Barzagli Balzeretti

Marchiso Pirlo Nocerino

Diamanti (Yes. Him from West Ham) - I wouldnt pick him.

Balotelli and Cassano

To get myself in the mood - I watched the 1970 World Cup Semi Final.

Partita del Secolo - Match of the Century.

I have the game on DVD.. and the full game must be on Youtube.

Here are shortened highlights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8670844.stm

The ones Ronaldo sent over the bar were free kicks. Not sure Messi does those for Barcelona. There was one instance where Ronaldo was going in on goal, that was a big opportunity and he missed it. By the stories in the paper, 3 men were usually on Ronaldo.

Messi got a hat trick for Argentina, he scored the record amount of goals for Barcelona this season but on the other hand, Real Madrid won the league, Barcelona crashed out of the champions league and Argentina isn't one of the top 2 powers in South America anymore, Uruguay is.

Increasing to 24 teams only actually means 1 more round to the final. I think we can stand it.... It will also be great for Scotland/Wales/N Ireland/Bosnia etc etc who never get to go to a major tournament - teams who will be passionate and really up for giving it all.

Wales, Switzerland, Austria, Macedonia, etc. I missed a few.

But yes, I don't think one round will have much of a negative impact, seeing how this time around, there were two groups of death really, B and C. Also, as it stood, respectful to all, there is a big disparity in talent between the best and the lesser teams already.

To another post, I'm not sure if one more round would hurt the chances of darkhorse teams, Greece, Denmark, etc. to go through.

Spain's football is exquisite. Even on an off-day, like last night, they still control the match from start to finish.

Haters gonna hate.

In a lot of cases, I don't think it is hate, I wouldn't call it "anti-football" either but we all know Drawing football is about passing it amongst ones' selves. Hence, the 1986 World Cup was known for a lot of draws so the rules were changed to make wins more desirable and make it less likely for teams to play for draws at least in regards to the rules in place to the '86 World Cup. It may have been a win was 2 pts, a draw was one.

At the end of the France/England game, France passed it among themselves in extra time, they did not want to risk losing out altogether on the 1 point draw. I think a lot of people see such passing in the same light.

Archived