BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leon Best

My point is, Den, that there are certain posters who love to peddle negative rumours and news because they want to club to fail. Any positive result will be countered by 'yeah, but we'll be out of business by christmas', or 'Bowyer is a novice, is an idiot and he will fail.' People like you Den. You make up a bullsh_t hypothetical situation about Rhodes to suit your own viewpoint and comment on it like it is about to happen, or just has.

To put it simply, there are people who are only happy when we have lost 14 games in a row, made Shebby manager and have been served a winding up order because they live for the negative. The fact that things feel a bit better this season hurts doesn't it?

As for Best being excluded, it was hard, it was risky and possibly didn't help in the last couple of games. However, you say it should have been done in private-How? Best went on the internet to bitch and whine, and paid the price for a few weeks. HE made it public, and needed to be brought down a peg or two. It is good to see a player being put in his place for once.

Holy Moses Norbert.

I didn't say it should have been done in private, unless you can point to that? I simply said, in reply to Stuart yesterday, that Bowyer leaving him out of a squad - in a game we lost by one game, can't be seen as a positive for Bowyer, Best or the club.

Maybe you should read what's being said properly, before you reply. As for making up hypothetical situations about Rhodes, I'm sure Rev did that when he said he would always act in an exemplary manner. You reckon he would?

If you don't like people pointing out that the last three years have been totally horrific, topped by the terrible financial situation the club has found itself in, then either put me on ignore, or go read the official club m/b.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is, Den, that there are certain posters who love to peddle negative rumours and news because they want to club to fail. Any positive result will be countered by 'yeah, but we'll be out of business by christmas', or 'Bowyer is a novice, is an idiot and he will fail.' People like you Den. You make up a bullsh_t hypothetical situation about Rhodes to suit your own viewpoint and comment on it like it is about to happen, or just has.

To put it simply, there are people who are only happy when we have lost 14 games in a row, made Shebby manager and have been served a winding up order because they live for the negative. The fact that things feel a bit better this season hurts doesn't it?

As for Best being excluded, it was hard, it was risky and possibly didn't help in the last couple of games. However, you say it should have been done in private-How? Best went on the internet to bitch and whine, and paid the price for a few weeks. HE made it public, and needed to be brought down a peg or two. It is good to see a player being put in his place for once.

Spot on.

Best made this public, Bowyer disciplined him for it, and the player has backed down. Personally, I think Bowyer can hold his head up high over this one. He's sent a message that no one player is bigger than the club, no matter how inflated their ego. And come on, can anyone honestly say we've missed him? Anyone would think we've been leaving Carlos Tevez out of the squad.

Spot on.Best made this public, Bowyer disciplined him for it, and the player has backed down. Personally, I think Bowyer can hold his head up high over this one. He's sent a message that no one player is bigger than the club, no matter how inflated their ego. And come on, can anyone honestly say we've missed him? Anyone would think we've been leaving Carlos Tevez out of the squad.

Missing the point entirely.

Den, the point is that despite the shockingly poor way the club has been managed over the last few years, we have just witnessed our rookie manager deal with a big ego, on big money and arguably a big influence, with a touch of class. He has marked the boundaries of acceptability and kept it relatively low key. Yet despite this you saw fit to still pick it apart and question his ability. OK, thats your prerogative and you're entitled to your opinion. But on this occassion and in this situation, forgetting everything else, Bowyer has acted like a seasoned pro and he deserves praise for that.

Den, the point is that despite the shockingly poor way the club has been managed over the last few years, we have just witnessed our rookie manager deal with a big ego, on big money and arguably a big influence, with a touch of class. He has marked the boundaries of acceptability and kept it relatively low key. Yet despite this you saw fit to still pick it apart and question his ability. OK, thats your prerogative and you're entitled to your opinion. But on this occassion and in this situation, forgetting everything else, Bowyer has acted like a seasoned pro and he deserves praise for that.

Pick it apart and question his ability, Examples please Patrick? Like Norbert, you won't find any.

So a manager managed and we're all going to go and get keaned in celebration of someone doing the job he's paid to do.

Seeing as he's new to the job and this was his first real test of player unrest, I'd say credit where credit is due. Anyway, I doubt much would've been made of it had certain fans not been intent on undermining him at any opportunity.

I'll try and spell the very simple point out to those struggling.

Did Best need disciplining? Absolutely.

Could Bowyer have disciplined him without having to leave him out of the squad? Who knows?

Is it a "positive" that it ended with him being left out of the squad entirely? No.

Would it have been a "positive" if the problem had been sorted out within the club, resulting in Best being available for the Leicester game? Definitely.

Jesus, that's so simple, yet so far I'm picking Bowyer to pieces, and criticising Rhodes.

So a manager managed and we're all going to go and get keaned in celebration of someone doing the job he's paid to do.

I told my boss he was wrong yesterday and he agreed, can I have a cake to celebrate?

Yes. Just the one though.

The way I see it, this is the first test of Bowyer's man-management skills, and as a club, anyone who has kicked off has been sold - even to the retirement of the team.

In our current position we need a striker so bringing Best back in from the cold is a good move. No-one is getting Meg Ryan about it but for some reason viewing it as a slightly positive sign seems to be a corporal offence.

Maybe now den has seen off Batman, he's going to see if Am'o can keep it in his pants. ;)

Is it a "positive" that it ended with him being left out of the squad entirely? No.

That's a bit naughty and rather disingenuous den.

The situation didn't end with him being left out, it ended with him coming back. That's the positive bit. Think of it a bit like equalising having gone 1-0 down to 'that lot'.

No-one is getting Meg Ryan about it but for some reason viewing it as a slightly positive sign seems to be a corporal offence.

Maybe now den has seen off Batman, he's going to see if Am'o can keep it in his pants. ;)

That's a bit naughty and rather disingenuous den.

The situation didn't end with him being left out, it ended with him coming back. That's the positive bit. Think of it a bit like equalising having gone 1-0 down to 'that lot'.

Meg Ryan?

Btw, Batman getting banned was not to do with me.

As for the "positive" Stuart. Wish I'd never commented now. It was only an aside, but jjumped on by some. There's no criticism of Bowyer, or you in there, just a view that ideally it could have been sorted without it meaning we went to Leicester with no striker on the bench.

That's all.

Pick it apart and question his ability, Examples please Patrick? Like Norbert, you won't find any.

I'm not arguing with you den. You refused to acknowledge that this was well managed. And implied having players on the pitch and playing well were signs of good management instead. Thats fine. But management is about more than that. At the end of the day the implication was that this hadnt been handled well by GB and therefore you questioned his ability as a manager. Thats fine. Your opinion. But its pretty one dimensional and coming from a bloke who posts articulate and interesting stuff, I would suggest you aren't someone who struggles to see the bigger picture and perhaps you were playing Devils advocate somewhat.

Best needs to start to put in some effort on the pitch. It was evident when he played up front with Rhodes this season that his work-rate is poor and his desire to play for seems non-existent.

An example for him would be Kaz's effort last season. Unfortunately, I don't think best has it in him (but i'd love to be proved wrong).

I'm not arguing with you den. You refused to acknowledge that this was well managed. And implied having players on the pitch and playing well were signs of good management instead. Thats fine. But management is about more than that. At the end of the day the implication was that this hadnt been handled well by GB and therefore you questioned his ability as a manager. Thats fine. Your opinion. But its pretty one dimensional and coming from a bloke who posts articulate and interesting stuff, I would suggest you aren't someone who struggles to see the bigger picture and perhaps you were playing Devils advocate somewhat.

I can only say what I said in the post above yours Patrick. If you don't believe me, then there's not much else I can say.

Tell you what, one last try. "Good managers sort out problems off the field, then get them on the field on a Saturday". That's what you are referring to? That's a general statement and IMO, generally (again!) is fair enough. In this particular case, none of us know why it needed to result in Best withdrawing from the squad, so can't make any kind of judgement on that. I didn't.

I'm not sure that I've ever really criticised Bowyer either. I didn't think rovers went through the options for manager as they should have done - and I was doubtful that he would bring in the quality of player needed to get us back to the PL. that wasn't a criticism, it was an opinion, a viewpoint. Don't see anything inconsistent with any of my views Patrick.

What I do know, is that there are a number of fans who were more than happy to slag off Allardyce, yet now jump in arms waving when there's even a suggestion of criticism of Bowyer - even when there is none. Now how wierd is that. A huge lack of consistency there.

Yout point was valid den. Absolutely. But, as you say, thats a general statement. Management of any kind is much broader than that. Results are ultimately what any manager is judged on and rightly so. But in the longer term it might have been a masterstroke. Who knows?

Yeah, maybe. He got it sorted which is the main thing. Better than a complete breakdown in relationships as happened with Kean and Samba for instance, but just a pity it wasn't sorted in time for the Leicester game, where who knows, he might just have given us that little extra in order for us to get one more point - and Leicester two less.

Not that he's remotely looked like doing anything like that yet.

Archived