BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leon Best

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation it isn't in our interests to have a striker earning a fortune and contributing nothing while we go into a vital game with no striker on the bench. Either he needs to be back in the squad or out of the club and replaced by someone else. A test for GB's management skills.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing which really gets me with Best is what the hell was Shebby doing last summe? I know its stating the bleeding obvious but I bet 99.9% of all rovers fans would have known the bloke isn't worth 30+k p/w and the risk we'd be stuck with the burden if the inevitable happened and we didnt get promoted. He isn't abad striker at this level but I can't believe we sanctioned it at that price. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose.

I doubt manager like Ferguson or mourinho would line up without a striker on the bench if they had the option to (although Jose has loaned out his best forward)

I still think that was an error of judgment yesterday, maybe he felt he had to be seen to be doing something after being put on the spot about it

Best for everyone if he leaves now though

If you think he should have been on the bench Saturday, how can you also think it's best (no pun intended) if he leaves?

Either he's good enough or he isn't, and you also have to calculate the effect of his attitude on the squad.

I can't see any problem in principle with leaving him out for a game or two as punishment for his comments then bringing him back in when his attitude has improved. Whether he's good enough thereafter is very much open to debate I would say, but still it's about time the tail stopped wagging the dog.

One factor to consider is that a team like Boro aren't likely to be able to pay his wages or buy him permanently in January so we're not likely to benefit much financially if he leaves for a team at that level.

Whatever has happened between Best and Bowyer, the situation needs resolving quickly.

Best is still an asset to the team and with the right frame of mind and management he can boost our chances this season.

He's not a target man but then neither is Rhodes, I think we just have to accept that and play to their strengths. Best showed at Derby that he can stick the ball between the posts.

Seems to be a storm in a teacup and should be sorted by Bowyer. That's his job

Seems to be a storm in a teacup and should be sorted by Bowyer. That's his job

His job is to manage the squad. Sometimes management requires a player to be dropped, either because he's not performing, become too big for his britches, or is infecting the rest of the squad. Once dropped, it's the player's responsibility to sort themselves out. I doubt Best has it in him, personally.

His job is to manage the squad. Sometimes management requires a player to be dropped, either because he's not performing, become too big for his britches, or is infecting the rest of the squad. Once dropped, it's the player's responsibility to sort themselves out. I doubt Best has it in him, personally.

Absolutely Smoss and i agree with you about Best. Even when he bagged his goal against Derby he made a very strange remark in the post match interview. Along the lines of Bowyer being a new manager and whatever he decides he's "right behind him". On the surface of it it seemed a vote of confidence but it wasn't even remotely the answer to the question he was asked. It was definately a disguised dig about starting on the bench.

I saw him play in front of about 200 people for Southampton reserves when he was about 18-19 and he got himself sent off after the final whistle for repeatedly arguing with the ref about a decision which went against him. Truth be told the decision was a nothing moment in the match and he was just narked that he'd played so poorly. But he wouldn't let it drop and he got what he deserved in the end. My point being he is so full of his own importance that he pushed it until he let the side down. Even when his team mates tried to pull him away (not least because they had won the match anyway) he was too stubborn to listen. People do grow up, but judging from his outbursts towards Rovers fans when he got sent off last season and now his dig at Bowyer, i suspect he has still got some way to go before he becomes a shining example to our young squad.

He should be a decent signing at this level (albeit on vastly inflated wages well above his ability) but i get the impression he is a baddun. You can only use the injury excuse and its frustration for so long. Chrsit, he's even been known to have a pop at Giovanni Trappatoni! All told, Best seems more and more like the modern day footballer i have grown to despise. Over inflated ego and no substance to allow him to work hard and prove his worth to the paying public. If he was at another club at our level i'd take some satisfaction in knowing that if he blows it at this level then he's likely to spend the rest of his short career scratching about in the lower leagues dreaming of the player he was told he could have been. But because he's at Rovers and because he's on mega money, the thought of him seeing out his contract makes me a little giddy. If he finds some application somewhere then i hope he can turn this around. But make no mistake, this little feud has to be ended by him apologising to Bowyer and in no way, shape or form the other way around.

The thing which really gets me with Best is what the hell was Shebby doing last summe? I know its stating the bleeding obvious but I bet 99.9% of all rovers fans would have known the bloke isn't worth 30+k p/w and the risk we'd be stuck with the burden if the inevitable happened and we didnt get promoted. He isn't abad striker at this level but I can't believe we sanctioned it at that price. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose.

This is such a good point and it relates to oh so many of the decisions made in the Venky era!

In fact, the very first, public, Venky decision-the one to replace Allardyce with Kean-was a bad decision, but deliberately disguised by the initial pretence that Kean was only a temporary fix.

Then last summer's Shebby transfer fest was just a ridiculous circus. Almost any Rovers fan would have known that at the time.... but things do seem to be changing!

If you think he should have been on the bench Saturday, how can you also think it's best (no pun intended) if he leaves?

Either he's good enough or he isn't, and you also have to calculate the effect of his attitude on the squad.

I can't see any problem in principle with leaving him out for a game or two as punishment for his comments then bringing him back in when his attitude has improved. Whether he's good enough thereafter is very much open to debate I would say, but still it's about time the tail stopped wagging the dog.

One factor to consider is that a team like Boro aren't likely to be able to pay his wages or buy him permanently in January so we're not likely to benefit much financially if he leaves for a team at that level.

He's not good enough.

Agree with PV and SteveM above. The players attitude stinks and I don't like him. Who do these people think they are? He should be working hard keeping his head down determined to pay us back for 12 months salary and support whilst injured, not slagging people off before the season even starts. Sick of this type of behaviour at the Rovers.

This is such a good point and it relates to oh so many of the decisions made in the Venky era!

In fact, the very first, public, Venky decision-the one to replace Allardyce with Kean-was a bad decision, but deliberately disguised by the initial pretence that Kean was only a temporary fix.

Then last summer's Shebby transfer fest was just a ridiculous circus. Almost any Rovers fan would have known that at the time.... but things do seem to be changing!

To be fair, i thought Best was a Kean signing, as they had been at Coventry at the same time?

• Backroom

Because I am assuming we will be bringing in another striker if he leaves

• Moderation Lead

Agree with PV and SteveM above. The players attitude stinks and I don't like him. Who do these people think they are? He should be working hard keeping his head down determined to pay us back for 12 months salary and support whilst injured, not slagging people off before the season even starts. Sick of this type of behaviour at the Rovers.

You and me both. Though this type of behaviour isn't exclusive to the Rovers.

Fairly telling imo that Wigan are apparently after a striker have the McCarthy money, burning a hole in their pocket, and don't seem to have the slightest interest in him.

If they thought he was any good they'd presumably be all over it like a rash.

But they are signing a striker......Jordan Rhodes on loan. ;)

A positive for Bowyer this. He didn't back down and the player - seemingly - has come around.

Face offs are never a positive IMO Stuart. We've had far too many players unavailable for reasons other than injuries over the last three seasons.

We've just lost one game where we had no options up front.

• Backroom

The team suffered for not having a striker option the last two games you can't deny that it would have been handy to have a striker to call on at 2-1 down chasing the game, maybe the sudden turnaround is more due to the fact we can't find a striker to bring in on loan

Let's hope he feels he has a point to prove at weekend

I want Best to be a success(he has the ability), its just a question of finding a way to get him and Rhodes in the same starting 11,

maybe we could go 3 at the back(Dann Hanley Killgannon) Kane and spur down the wings, pack out the midfield and Rhodes&Best/King up top.

(I think ive been playing to much FM lately :tu: )

Face offs are never a positive IMO Stuart. We've had far too many players unavailable for reasons other than injuries over the last three seasons.

We've just lost one game where we had no options up front.

It's positive that the face off is over and the player backed down not the manager. It's for the best in the long run.

Archived