BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Simon Cox!

callumrovers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure all of his experience playing up front will come in handy when he is playing centre half.

Now who am I to challenge that bald ones plans, but don't we kind of need defenders as well as forwards. Considering we scored a healthy amount of goals last season and let in just about every attack a team had against us isn't it pretty obvious that we need to sort out the defence.

Attack was our strong point last season though, forget defence we scored more goals than anyone else outside the top six in the premiership. Maybe we could get rid of defenders altogether and just field 10 strikers and a goalie.

Get's loads of games for the Rep of Ireland and I can never understand why, probably cause trapattoni is a crazy bat. would prob be more in his comfort zone in the championship as a bit out of his depth in the premiership.

Agree with above, It's defenders and a defensive mid we need and Cox would add very little to our squad, if anything an impact sub.

• Moderation Lead

Get's loads of games for the Rep of Ireland and I can never understand why, probably cause trapattoni is a crazy bat. would prob be more in his comfort zone in the championship as a bit out of his depth in the premiership.

Agree with above, It's defenders and a defensive mid we need and Cox would add very little to our squad, if anything an impact sub.

TBF mate, so did Keef....

THe more we keep getting linked with jobbing average championship forwards the more i think promising flair players like rochina, goodwillie, vuckevic are just going to be sold or ignored again this year without being given a real chance.

Do 1 Kean you lying 2 faced loser.

P.S yes i know calling Goodwillie a flair player is stretching it a bit, but he does like to try take players on and run with the ball.

THe more we keep getting linked with jobbing average championship forwards the more i think promising flair players like rochina, goodwillie, vuckevic are just going to be sold or ignored again this year without being given a real chance.

Do 1 Kean you lying 2 faced loser.

P.S yes i know calling Goodwillie a flair player is stretching it a bit, but he does like to try take players on and run with the ball.

Yeah i know what you mean, but wouldnt Cox be fighting Best for a place, you could argue that rochina goodwillie, vuckevic , gomes, even Dunn (even formica) all play a deeper role behind a striker like Best (where we went wrong is getting too many players who play the deeper role) Also I would play vuckevic in a wider mid role.

So we do need cover for Best and lets face it competition in that role. Whether Cox is good enough is another matter. In fact with the number of games in the championship you might need 3 players fighting for that role.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackburn rovers have had bid turn down for Cox according to reporter @chrislepkowski wba reporter for the Birmingham Mail

Steve Clarke withdraw Cox from today game as talks are still ongoing

https://twitter.com/chrislepkowski

Got a feeling Cox is a Rovers player soon. He is a decent championship striker and that´s where we are.

Cox will be a good solid player for us. A good footballer in this league. These type of signings are where we are at right now.

Nothing against Cox but...

They should be 100% focused on finding a box to box midfielder that we have been missing for years(other than J Jones brief stint), any money spent on attacking squad players(which we have a shed load of allready) is only going to reduce the money in the pot for a solid energetic centre midfielder(and the 2nd priority of backup defenders).

Think those are both priorities, but you've definitely got them the wrong way round, hardly. As you say, we've missed an energetic midfielder for years, and not done horrifically until last season. Last season being when we finally stopped having enough good defenders. We are DESPERATE for new defenders, I'm still astonished anyone can see it any other way. A poor defence is a sure-fire way to have a horrible season. We have one good centre half (who wants out or his paycut abolishing, and likes to get injured or be otherwise unfit to play), one fairly solid but very young centre half, and one of the worst centre halves I've ever seen. We have two left backs- one of them is that good centre half. The other wants out. We have two right backs, one of which isn't really a right back but a midfielder, and who is also very young. Unless we count Henley in all this- also very young and minimally tested. We are extremely threadbare and low on quality/experience across the WHOLE of the back four. Our defence is in utter crisis. It hasn't been this poor for a very long time and it's abundantly clear it's the chief on-pitch reason we went down. A box to box midfielder is necessary but will not gloss that over. A couple of injuries or suspensions and we are barely able to field a back four.

Last season we lost three GOOD centre halves and replaced with one total dobber.

Think those are both priorities, but you've definitely got them the wrong way round, hardly. As you say, we've missed an energetic midfielder for years, and not done horrifically until last season. Last season being when we finally stopped having enough good defenders. We are DESPERATE for new defenders, I'm still astonished anyone can see it any other way. A poor defence is a sure-fire way to have a horrible season. We have one good centre half (who wants out or his paycut abolishing, and likes to get injured or be otherwise unfit to play), one fairly solid but very young centre half, and one of the worst centre halves I've ever seen. We have two left backs- one of them is that good centre half. The other wants out. We have two right backs, one of which isn't really a right back but a midfielder, and who is also very young. Unless we count Henley in all this- also very young and minimally tested. We are extremely threadbare and low on quality/experience across the WHOLE of the back four. Our defence is in utter crisis. It hasn't been this poor for a very long time and it's abundantly clear it's the chief on-pitch reason we went down. A box to box midfielder is necessary but will not gloss that over. A couple of injuries or suspensions and we are barely able to field a back four.

Last season we lost three GOOD centre halves and replaced with one total dobber.

Give(cb)t Hanley(cb)Orr(rb) should do well in this league, we def need a quality left back even if olson stays i dont rate him 1 bit as a defender(even at this level) and Givet struggles to stay fit so we def need a quality backup(ideally we just need 1 good versatile defender that can play anywhere across the back). I still think a solid energetic centre mid should be slightly higher priority, we need sombody to break up play in the middle or it will just be backs to the wall for any defenders we play.

O and Dann can just ###### off, hes crud and he never wanted to be here in the 1st place(judging by his attitude from the day he signed).

Archived