BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crystal Palace Preview

colin

I slapped a few question to a Crystal Palace supporters site as follows. These are the answers I got:

"So, greetings from BRFCS.com, an independent Blackburn Rovers' supporters' site. I know that as football supporters we are meant to be having a fight or something, but this is the new paradigm shift.It's now about a couple of weeks until Saturday 3rd November when Blackburn Rovers will be visiting Selhurst Park. "

Replies by four people

(1) How did you become a Palace supporter?

Decorator was a family friend and supported Palace, I was nagging my rugby loving Dad to take me to a game, got tickets from decorator went on a cold October night in 1999 to watch Palace lose 2-0 at Selhurst to West Brom, never looked back since.

When I was a little boy and just getting into football, my dad sat me down and said "son, you are NOT supporting Man United, you're going to support your local team. You can have Palace or Wimbledon". Apparently I preferred Palace's kit.

It runs in the family. My grandfather used to watch Palace at the Nest which we moved out of in 1924

Supporting Palace has transferred from generation to generation from my Grandad. He had a choice of following Millwall or Palace and luckily he opted for the classier club.

(2) What is your best memory of being a Palace supporter?

The promotion season, spanking the teams above us and watching a great team with an unplayable Andy Johnson in it scoring goals for fun.

A game against Gillingham in the promotion season 04/05. They were awarded a dubious pen at 0-0 in the second half, missed it, then the ref ordered it to be retaken, and they missed it again. We then went straight down the other end and, following a corner, the ball dropped to Danny Butterfield who absolutely spanked it into the top corner on the volley. There are other moments which compare but for sheer, unbridled, let's-go-batsh*t-mentalness that one stands out.

Many, but beating Liverpool 4-3 at Villa Park 1990, and winning the Play off at Wembley v Sheff Utd 1997, stand out.

For me it was Hillsborough a few years back when we stayed up on the last day of the season. It was such a tense day and you could feel it inside the ground. 30,000 Yorkshire men doing the bouncy was something 6,000 of us could keep quiet. The bad days far outweigh the good, but that's what makes these good days so special.

(3) What do you know about Blackburn Rovers? Probably the same as your average Rovers' fan knows about Palace, maybe the square root of sod all, but give it a go

That for the last two years you've gone through hell, met a lovely Rovers fan on a night out a few months back and he explained the whole saga in incredibly articulate depth, but since I was drunk I remember barely any of it. Know you have a seething rivalry with Burnley and that Morten Gamst Pedersen can absolutely bang it.

Blackburn have become a bit of a joke in the last couple of years. The Steve Kean thing is utterly, utterly bizarre - you stuck with him the whole way through last season, when you were godawful, one miserable home defeat after another. Then when you were relegated he got millions to spend, took you to the top of the league, then he loses one game and he's gone? What's that all about? The problem obviously comes from your owners, who are either totally inept or just having a massive laugh. Either way I feel very sorry for the fans.

Iconic blue & white square shirts. First memory would be about 1968 and Ronnie Clayton and Bryan Douglas were playing, but we beat you. I know you were in the FA Cup Final in 1960 and Dave Whelan was in your team. Burnley are your great local rivals. Lately it's been pretty sordid with the Venky's and Kean, but paying £8m for Jordan Rhodes puts you on a different level from most Champ clubs.

One of my top mates is a Bolton fan so he always has digs about Blackburn. I see them as a fairly respected side in the North West with a mix of glory days and some awful ones. The recent Steve Kean saga is a big thing brought to the spot light and the Venkys. However I have a dislike for the global advisor in charge. He seems arrogant and ruthless. It could lead you to further trouble if he isn't careful with his actions.

(4) What's your favourite story from supporting Palace. The funnier & more stupid the better.

A general one, every time away fans come down they always get off the train at Crystal Palace train station, a long long walk from Selhurst. Sitting there and chuckling instead of not telling them to stay on is one of the better aspects of supporting Palace.

Meeting my girlfriend on an away day at Southampton a few years ago. I went to stay with a mate who was at uni there, pulled her on the Friday night, then got up on Saturday and strolled down to the ground where we promptly won 4-1 thanks to a Jamie Scowcroft hat-trick. It's fair to say I've had worse weekends.

1975, just learned to drive, went to Walsall away one Tuesday night, terrible game and we were losing 1-0 so we left about 2 mins early. Got onto M6 and car broke down. Waited 3 hours for the AA. I'd run out of petrol but the needle had got stuck on a quarter full. No car radio and pre mobile phones etc. Car battery was flat so had to be bump started about 3 times, drove back to London tail-gating lorries to use their lights, got home at about 5 a.m., up for work at 7:30, opened paper to find Palace had equalised in the last minute. Vowed never to leave a game early again. Also vowed to refill petrol tank occasionally.

It won't be a great laugh to you, well maybe. But back in school we had this one kid who supported Millwall. Never said a word, always got on with his work and seemed very shy and timid. Then come Saturday Palace V Millwall surrounded by 20 overweight lager louts I see him directly opposite me giving it all sorts of threats. I noticed him and glared at him until he could recognize who I was. When he did, his face was a picture I can't even describe.

(5) As you are probably aware we have just parted company with Steve "Coco" Kean. We hated him and his reputation sank faster than Jimmy Saville's & Garry Glitter's combined. Who is the most reviled Palace manager that you have known?

Since I've supported Palace - Trevor Francis. Useless tactically and had the backbone of a paralysed invertebrate. Never enjoyed watching Palace when he was in charge.

Toss up between Iain Dowie and Steve Bruce, who ironically were (arguably) the two most successful of my time. Both left in acrimonious circumstances and aren't very welcome these days.

Alan Mullery but hotly pursued by Steve Bruce. Plus for taking part in bankrupting us twice, I give you Terry Venables.

As I said before I'm not a very old supporter so I can't go years down the line. I wouldn't say nothing in the Steve Kean light mind. Peter Taylor was a legend as a player here, but the money he spent for the players we got and the football we played was absolute dire.

BTW Thanks for 6th October & your 4-3 job on Burnley,it was much appreciated by all of us at Ewood Park, isn't Schadenfreude wonderful?

All the best for 3rd November, but I hope you have a miserable day. Good luck for the rest of the season though.

There you go. I think them there Palace fans deserve a round of applause for that. I thought they were absolutely wonderful.

Cheers

Everyone

Colin

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant preview as ever, Colin. Loved the story of the lad whose father refused to let him support Man Utd!

Still not properly forgiven Palace [or referee George Courtney - "playing 12 again!"] for the second leg of the 1988/89 Divison 2 play-offs! :angry2: [i know, I was there; and wept all the way home.] Mind you, if we'd gone up then, would we have remained at the top table or would Uncle Jack have had to dig deeper into his pockets then?

Putting my grudges to one side and focussing on next week, Bolton's efficiency might help us here. I didn't realise until today that Lennie Lawrence has been Freedman's Assistant @ Palace and negotiations about his move to the Reebok is apparently, according to tonight's M/cr Evening News, one of the formalities holding up the deal.

If they're without a managerial team a week on Saturday, it could be the best time to play them. Mind, it would help if our owners pulled their fingers out. If Palace haven't replaced Freedman, I can see us winning by 1 more than I think we'll win by if they have!

Brilliant preview as ever, Colin. Loved the story of the lad whose father refused to let him support Man Utd!

Still not properly forgiven Palace [or referee George Courtney - "playing 12 again!"] for the second leg of the 1988/89 Divison 2 play-offs! :angry2: [i know, I was there; and wept all the way home.] Mind you, if we'd gone up then, would we have remained at the top table or would Uncle Jack have had to dig deeper into his pockets then?

Putting my grudges to one side and focussing on next week, Bolton's efficiency might help us here. I didn't realise until today that Lennie Lawrence has been Freedman's Assistant @ Palace and negotiations about his move to the Reebok is apparently, according to tonight's M/cr Evening News, one of the formalities holding up the deal.

If they're without a managerial team a week on Saturday, it could be the best time to play them. Mind, it would help if our owners pulled their fingers out. If Palace haven't replaced Freedman, I can see us winning by 1 more than I think we'll win by if they have!

Oh, er, "beggar" it! :(

I've just heard an interview with Lennie Lawrence on "Sports Report" on Radio 5. He's still at Palace and may be moving to Bolton. If he doesn't, I fear we'll be out-managed. Unless, of course, Shebby pulls an absolutely unexpected masterstroke in the new manager saga.

I'm going on the train from Manchester to Euston for this. Can any of our Southern brethren let me know the best route from Euston to Selhurst Park please?

Euston to london Bridge (Underground), London Bridge to Selhurst (Train). Alternatively Euston to London Victoria (Underground), then onto Selhurst. Whichever you find easiest.

Thanks Jimmy.

Arbo| Agree about going via london bridge but much Better to get off at Norwood junction - 10 minute walk to selhurst from there and there is a decent pub on the right hand side some fast food joints on the main road

I wouldn't take a point if it was offered now (I wouldn't take a point for any game as draws just don't seem as valuable in this league given anyone can beat anyone to a greater extent than the Prem), but I'd be relatively happy if that's what we got and there weren't any factors like being 6-0 up at half time and throwing it away.

Archived