SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Interesting. At this point Appleton probably figures he has nothing to lose. I get the feeling certain players will feature very little from now until the end of the season. I certainly hope so.

I really hope that's true Zac.

I'll take the risk on a bad reaction from the players (they can't get much worse, surely) if it means they've had a rocket up them.

It's a shame we didn't bring in Appleton instead of Berg.

• Backroom

Great news

Yesterday may end up being a good thing in a twisted way, wonder if Moore and Westwood are vocal in there

FFS, Murphy goes to the video analysis department to prove the goals weren't his fault??

What a tosser.

It's not about blame for goals you pillock it's about your attitude and complete contempt for the club and it's fans.

Now, I'm pretty sure the video analysis department will struggle to disprove that for you.

Shame he didn't chin Orr.

If he caught him right he'd lay that lanky streak of @#/? right out.

Certainly if I was the gaffer I'd be sorely tempted.

Only one who's wound me up more than orr is Kean himself. And then he comes out with a load of tosh on twitter apologising for his behaviour, as if that wipes the slate clean. He makes me want to spit. He's just ripping the @#/? out of the fans. The club's treated like a benevolent home for wasters.

• Backroom

Shame he didn't chin Orr.

If he caught him right he'd lay that lanky streak of @#/? right out.

Certainly if I was the gaffer I'd be sorely tempted.

Only one who's wound me up more than orr is Kean himself. And then he comes out with a load of tosh on twitter apologising for his behaviour, as if that wipes the slate clean. He makes me want to spit. He's just ripping the @#/? out of the fans. The club's treated like a benevolent home for wasters.

Spot on pal. Made me sick when people on here were welcoming back tbh. I knew this would happen and said at the time it was a huge mistake.

Let's see what the Bolton match brings, eh?

Fingers crossed orr doesn't even make the matchday squad. He's a poisonous little turd, and granted, things are pretty apocalyptic right now, but on teh assumption we will try to get promoted next year, he needs to be excluded from the group. Murphy too.

The way forward can only be to cleanse the club of Kean's influence, and if we can only afford battlers, so be it. At least it guarantees that if we lose games, we go down fighting.

3-0 down to Peterboro inside 30 minutes is just plain unacceptable. But it's what happens when there is a culture of taking money and looking the other way as the losses stack up.

Guest Norbert

If these stories are true, then it sounds like Appleton is a bit of a Souness-you wouldn't want to mess with him. Hopefully the long standing staff (i.e. McPhillips and Bowyer) will not take too much offence if he had a go at them for the state of affairs in the dressing room. Those two have done a pretty good job in bringing young players on.

I think that Appleton has seen enough to deduce that some of the players don't have a long term future at the club. I have heard similar to what has been posted above, his you could tell from his after match presser that he was raging, no doubt that the players got some of that.

Our season is almost certainly over in the league, he might as well start to sort out who is going to remain at the club come next season.

• Backroom

I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Dann was one of the ones who took a bit of stick from Appleton, btw. He's been a bit better recently but for the amount we supposedly paid for him and the wages he's on (which I reckon are pretty hefty, up there with Etuhu and Murphy) we should expect more. Hanley you can excuse because of his age and limited experience, Dann on the other hand should be a leader at the back and all too often he disappears.

If these stories are true, then it sounds like Appleton is a bit of a Souness-you wouldn't want to mess with him. Hopefully the long standing staff (i.e. McPhillips and Bowyer) will not take too much offence if he had a go at them for the state of affairs in the dressing room. Those two have done a pretty good job in bringing young players on.

He wasn't laying into the staff individually, but make no mistake everyone at the club knows theyre going to have to prove their worth.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Dann was one of the ones who took a bit of stick from Appleton, btw. He's been a bit better recently but for the amount we supposedly paid for him and the wages he's on (which I reckon are pretty hefty, up there with Etuhu and Murphy) we should expect more. Hanley you can excuse because of his age and limited experience, Dann on the other hand should be a leader at the back and all too often he disappears.

For all his faults, I haven't heard anything about Dann having a poor attitude. He's just a poor player.

• Backroom

For all his faults, I haven't heard anything about Dann having a poor attitude. He's just a poor player.

I was purely talking about ability Zac, he hides too often and lacks courage. Sometimes it takes somebody giving a person a (verbal) slap upside the head to bring some courage out, so to speak.

I was purely talking about ability Zac, he hides too often and lacks courage. Sometimes it takes somebody giving a person a (verbal) slap upside the head to bring some courage out, so to speak.

Apologies I thought you were inferring to both ability and attitude.

I don't want to turn the thread into Dann bashing. His performances and the amount of goals we've conceded- and poor goals from mistakes or crosses-since he's arrived speak for themselves.

• Backroom

I'm wondering who else may have took the brunt of it, Murphy and Orr are the obvious ones but who else would be in line for a verbal lashing? They were all appalling in the first half without any exceptions but some of them just aren't very good footballers, the likes of Marcus Olsson and Lowe aren't talented but for me do give it their all

• Backroom

I'm wondering who else may have took the brunt of it, Murphy and Orr are the obvious ones but who else would be in line for a verbal lashing? They were all appalling in the first half without any exceptions but some of them just aren't very good footballers, the likes of Marcus Olsson and Lowe aren't talented but for me do give it their all

Jake Kean, Hanley, Marcus Olsson, Lowe, and Rhodes should all have been exempt from any major criticism IMO. These guys give their all, even if some of them have limited talent.

The rest, fair game.

This is in reference to the starting 11 on Saturday, to clarify.

Lowe seems to be favoured by the England U21 staff and even mentioned by name by Pearce as a quality player recently. I've not seen enough of him for England to pass judgement but for us doesn't seem to be anything other than average.

Nothing worse than players who don't put a shift in. Situation reminds me of the early Souness reign where a few were placed in the reserves on big money. Was Carsley one?

We did have a few freeloaders from the Hodgson - Kidd - Parkes era. McAteer, Peacock, Carsley, Blake, Ward and a few others come to mind. Needed a tough manager to weed them out then and it needs a tough manager now. If Appleton means what he says his selection for the Bolton game should be interesting.

Archived