BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Carsley was one. There were several.

Not having a go, but being favoured by Stuart Pearce means very little.

I completely agree I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything in U21 games that would suggest he could turn into a good un when all I've seen is a hard worker at best.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a very amusing YouTube clip of Harry Redknap at an open mike thing at west ham where the fans are tearing strips off him for playing lampard. Every fan who speaks slates lampard who is sat with Harry.

Now don't for one second think I'm saying we have the next England midfielder at the club but it does make you wonder.

Never understood the antipathy towards Carsley. Quite rated him myself. Came, played well, all of a sudden out of favour and getting the Wilcox treatment.

Interesting that he went on to have a good career with Everton. He would be an ever-present for Rovers now, not that that is saying much.

There's a very amusing YouTube clip of Harry Redknap at an open mike thing at west ham where the fans are tearing strips off him for playing lampard. Every fan who speaks slates lampard who is sat with Harry.

Now don't for one second think I'm saying we have the next England midfielder at the club but it does make you wonder.

This was sort of my point. Does he flourish elsewhere away from Ewood.

Never understood the antipathy towards Carsley. Quite rated him myself. Came, played well, all of a sudden out of favour and getting the Wilcox treatment.

Interesting that he went on to have a good career with Everton. He would be an ever-present for Rovers now, not that that is saying much.

Agree with all that. Carsley was a decent mifdfielder imo who for some unknown reason became victim of the blackburn boo boys, but when he left he became an integral part of Everton's midfield.

• Backroom

“I do feel a little bit let down by them but they let themselves down, they should be disappointed in themselves but that is the issue. Are they disappointed? Are they genuinely gutted that they came in at half time 3-0 down? Does it matter to them that much?

“There are certainly players in that dressing room who are hurting but I’m not convinced it is all of them.

“It is almost as though the football club needs an exorcism. In terms of a real clean slate, get to the bare bones of what we need to do, get to basics, the fundamental aspects of how we get this football club back in a place where everyone can be delighted to come and watch the team.

“You don’t win games on paper. If you don’t respect the division you are going to struggle. You can’t live off your past, you can’t live off what you might have done before, you have to live in the present.”

You can tell this is aimed pretty much squarely at Murphy, Etuhu, Dann, and possibly Orr and Bentley as well.

“You cant complain about the fans’ reaction, I would have been the same. I was the same at half time.

“I was just astonished the way we went about it. Maybe I have found out today the hard way about why the club has had three or four managers this season.”

Big Appy, a man of the people B)

In all seriousness, it is nice to know he was as furious as we were. You can only imagine the post-match comments had this been Steve Kean.

We did have a few freeloaders from the Hodgson - Kidd - Parkes era. McAteer, Peacock, Carsley, Blake, Ward and a few others come to mind. Needed a tough manager to weed them out then and it needs a tough manager now. If Appleton means what he says his selection for the Bolton game should be interesting.

McAteer gets redeemed for me for his performance at Burnley in 2001. Unfortunately I cannot see many of our lot from Saturday putting in a stand-out MOTM performance on the 17th.

Jones isn't a world beater, but he put 100% effort in when he came on, got stuck in, wanted the ball, that's what you need in this league.

I wasn't impressed with Stewart though, headless chicken.

• Backroom

Appleton may not be the answer but that's about the best post match interview after a loss I've ever come across

He's said just about exactly what the fans are thinking and I have faith he will back it up with action

Nice to hear a Rovers manager being honest. Not pulling his punches. Lets hope he can make his words active. Next team sheet could be interesting.

This is the time when the owners need to back him up properly and not dither about.The impact of this sort of stuff from MA will be completely lost if he doesn't know what his budget is etc etc.He needs to have his plan endorsed today because to weed some of these tossers out of our squad requires money and their replacements require even more.

They have to back it now in full or pull out of the Club or we will just wither away to nothing.This is your time Venkys and if you don't do it then we all know the Clubs demise is complete.

Appleton is seriously p1ssed off with that performance on saturday just like us fans. These players have undermined Appleton in the last few matches by not putting in a proper shift. They may have gotten away with that under our previous managers but not under this one.

I'd be pleased to see 80% of our squad go. Pathetic bunch. There's one thing losing a match because the other team is better than you but losing a match because you can't be bothered to give 100% is completely unaccepyable.

Fully behind Appleton. Like to see some of the youth players given a go. Raheem Hanley, Forrester, Fernandez etc

Guest Norbert

It would be interesting to see if Appleton has enough backing of the board to take on the egos of the players and ship out those who've underperformed. It sounds like he's got the backing of Shagnew at least, but would the Punetics go along with getting rid of say Robinson, Murphy and other bigger names? And will they allow him to bring in many players?

It would be interesting to see if Appleton has enough backing of the board to take on the egos of the players and ship out those who've underperformed. It sounds like he's got the backing of Shagnew at least, but would the Punetics go along with getting rid of say Robinson, Murphy and other bigger names? And will they allow him to bring in many players?

If they don't then I can't see Appleton sticking around.

I wasn't impressed with Stewart though, headless chicken. “Obviously Cameron is a young lad with a slight frame. He has good feet, good balance, he has a change of gear, a change of pace, and when he gets on the ball in certain areas he can hurt teams."

I don't think we've seen enough of him to judge yet but whilst Appletons words may be well meant I don't think he has a top gear.

• Backroom

For what it's worth, I was quick to point out after the Leicester game how Kean-esque Appleton's comments were, so in the interest of fairness I have to say it's very refreshing to read Appleton's latest comments. It's exactly the type of criticism Kean never dished out, even when the team deserved it.

Kean's post-match presser after P'boro would have gone something like "we were unlucky in the first half, but in the second half we showed our true quality and if you ignore the first half we won the match comfortably. We'll take those positives into the next match and work hard on the training ground. The atmosphere in the changing room is amazing and the fans need to get behind the lads. There is no way we won't get in the playoffs this season."

So nice to finally have a manager who tells the truth.

Appleton is seriously p1ssed off with that performance on saturday just like us fans. These players have undermined Appleton in the last few matches by not putting in a proper shift. They may have gotten away with that under our previous managers but not under this one.

I'd be pleased to see 80% of our squad go. Pathetic bunch. There's one thing losing a match because the other team is better than you but losing a match because you can't be bothered to give 100% is completely unaccepyable.

Fully behind Appleton. Like to see some of the youth players given a go. Raheem Hanley, Forrester, Fernandez etc

The sad thing is Appleton could drop certain players, but they would still be paid regardless. Players playing politics. One match willing to put in a decent shift in, the next, because their egos haven't been appeased, they don't. This is the attitude of players today.

Orr and Murphy are very experienced players, although the one is a has been and the other well, useless, but from listening to him, it sounds like he put alot of trust in some of the players. The players seems to have ignored his rallying call for a good final push, and this seems to have @#/? him off. Imo, Appleton will transform this club, and i just have a good feeling about him. However, the main card in this pack is Venkys. If we dont get a lucky break, then either Appleton will be sacked, or he will walk away because of a lack of backing from the owners

He's promising "blood, sweat and tears" over the next few months. Just what's needed.

Players need to show their commitment. If not, it's time to look for a new home.

I really admire Appleton's hard line approach and it's exactly what's been needed for a long, long time at Ewood.

Having delivered some strong statements, he now needs to show he's serious by trying a few of the young lads between now and the end of the season. I follow Hugo Fernandez on Twitter and he's absolutely desperate to show what he can do. He thinks he's ready and certainly has the drive to show what he can do.

I hope the line up against Bolton will be interesting...

I think the club as a whole needs to be patient with Appleton and give him time to sort this out. I know words are cheap and it's actions that count, but I do believe he'll fix it if given time. He's approaching it with a passion and dedication that we would be very lucky to find again, so we must stick with him.

The fact that he's already talking down a potential trip to Wembley, which would be a big thing on his CV, shows that he's in this for the good of the club and not for himself.

Archived