BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Yeah, like I said, I'm glad he's said it. He has to get the players to come together and find a bond - you know - the one for all and all for one, win or fail together attitude, so now this has been said he needs to move forward. Continually airing players failings in public wouldn't allow that.

I dont think there's any way you could bond the majority of the current lot together- their egos and attitudes wont allow it.

I cant see Appleton continually airing players failings in the future- unless they seriously merit it.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly if anyone offered us the money we paid for Rhodes I think we should snap their hands off.

I think he'll go onto bigger and better things and I'd love that to be with Rovers, but right now I think we need that money to build elsewhere. No point having some fancy icing for a cake that is rotten underneath.

You don't need to be anywhere near an £8 million striker to score goals in this league. If Leon Best comes back ok then we've already got a replacement anyway.

For all Rhodes goal scoring prowess (which I am grateful far, as without them we would be in an even great mess than we are now) the rest of his games is very average, doesn’t hold the ball up well enough, always looking for the ball over the top or inside the channels ever when the ball is miles away from him and would need a worldy pass to pick him out instead of

coming short and building the move up and is a yard if not two to slow.

In saying that he is worth his weight in gold (goals) but not 8 million in my opinion and I cann't see Premiership club paying that sort of money foe him.

If the players respond to a public bollocking then it's fine I don't have a problem with it. The problem is if the players don't respond, if that is the case then there will only be one winner and that's not the manager.

I would have preferred he had left some of the vitriol in the dressing room instead of making it public. Also one could argue that getting to this tipping point was partly Appleton's fault, he surely must have seen a performance like this coming in recent weeks. If he did why didn't he make changes sooner?

He's tried the softly softly approach as he hasn't changed things and has been reserved in what he's said. Now he's trying something else. It's not a bad thing. He'll have been far more scathing in the dressing room and the changes at half-time reflect this as it's very very rare in football.

Yes you could say he's been wrong in not changing things but if it is as suspected IE players attitudes and personalities then softly softly won't make them realise change is required. It's only when they the players realise that change is needed within themselves that we'll see it. Then it's a case of keeping it going. We got whipped by the bottom club at home with a team full of talent (in their heads), a wake will have occured now we need to wait and see if they want to get out of bed.

If the players don't respond then they have to go as it will never change regardless of who is in charge. Hopefully given the manner of Appletons appointment he has the ear of the owners and they've now seen it first hand as well.

If the players cant handle a bit of fury from the manager, then whoever they are, well they are pussys. They earn x amount of millions a year, if they cant handle the truth, then they are cowards. Now is the time for them to stand up and claim a place, and show those primadonnas how its done.

He's tried the softly softly approach as he hasn't changed things and has been reserved in what he's said. Now he's trying something else. It's not a bad thing. He'll have been far more scathing in the dressing room and the changes at half-time reflect this as it's very very rare in football.

Yes you could say he's been wrong in not changing things but if it is as suspected IE players attitudes and personalities then softly softly won't make them realise change is required. It's only when they the players realise that change is needed within themselves that we'll see it. Then it's a case of keeping it going. We got whipped by the bottom club at home with a team full of talent (in their heads), a wake will have occured now we need to wait and see if they want to get out of bed.

If the players don't respond then they have to go as it will never change regardless of who is in charge. Hopefully given the manner of Appletons appointment he has the ear of the owners and they've now seen it first hand as well.

Don't get me wrong if Roves thrash Bolton on Tuesday night and go on a decent run then it will have clearly worked. I've been calling for players to get a kick up the arse for some time I just think there is a fine line that has to be tread carefully here.

Don't get me wrong if Roves thrash Bolton on Tuesday night and go on a decent run then it will have clearly worked. I've been calling for players to get a kick up the arse for some time I just think there is a fine line that has to be tread carefully here.

I don't disagree but he's hardly said much in the press. Also consider he's new here, knows the fans are @#/? off and wants them onside more, those comments will have helped in that regard. We'll find out if we have any pride on Tuesday and who's responded when the match is over. If it's none then some serious thinking on what to do next is required as some are here for a while.

I don't disagree but he's hardly said much in the press. Also consider he's new here, knows the fans are @#/? off and wants them onside more, those comments will have helped in that regard. We'll find out if we have any pride on Tuesday and who's responded when the match is over. If it's none then some serious thinking on what to do next is required as some are here for a while.

I agree, he hasn't actually named anyone in public

It's not all about fear.

Really ? Read these.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/297621/Paul-Scholes-still-fears-Sir-Alex-Ferguson

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2012/03/21/2981177/old-soccer-brian-clough-elton-john-and-nottingham-forest

The point is, these managers ruled and continue to rule with an iron rod. Perhaps Danny Murphy might pull his tripe out if he had to catch the bus home after a match.

Also one could argue that getting to this tipping point was partly Appleton's fault, he surely must have seen a performance like this coming in recent weeks. If he did why didn't he make changes sooner?

Whether it would have made any difference - but until we signed Jones who would have replaced Murphy (though personally i would have played MGP) - same with Orr as Henley was coming back from injury. To an extent injuries have forced his hand - but to be honest (other than in defence) the performances haven't been that great since MA took over anyway.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Appleton's tactics, especially the way we sit back and invite teams to attack us, but I think that gutless performance on Saturday emphasised that the biggest problem which has been holding us back for sometime now is the overpaid, uninterested players which make up a lot of our squad.

The players can't keep hiding behind the manager. I fully back Appleton to crack the whip and show some authority which we have been lacking for the past 2 years. Even if the players react badly to Appleton's public criticism, results are almost becoming secondary, it seems the play-offs are going to be put off. Eitherway we can't keep mollycoddling them. In fact I think a summer purge would be totally justifiable.

stalin.jpg

I was speaking to a lad not so long back about Appy (I live in Salford btw) and he grew up knowing his family sort to speak, claimed that no-one ever started an argument with him because he and his family had a reputation as a set of right hard Keans. Said he was a proper football lad who loves and breathes the game.

Went on to tell me saying that he's the sort of lad to "not hold back" and will tell you exactly what he thinks.

Personally think Appy and his honesty has been a bout of fresh air and its about time football saw some of his type, too many players think they can get away with being pampered and having agents looking after them and told they are amazing.

Give him time to build a team lads, least we will be fighting for one another!

Welcome to CAMP APPLETON CADETS!

Appleton was so up for Orr coming back from his loan spell too, was singing his praises only a few weeks back - know we had an injury crisis but he was raving about his character, sounded like he was going to make him captain.

• Backroom

Appleton was so up for Orr coming back from his loan spell too, was singing his praises only a few weeks back

A big mistake on his part, a shame he didn't seem to research Orr's history at the club before bringing him back.

One of the few positives of Berg's tenure was the removal of Orr.

Appleton brought Orr back remember... and started picking Murphy again after he was dropped by Bowyer and played Markus Ollson and the ineffective Rhodes/Campbell combo.

It's good to hear him talk about getting rid of those who aren't trying, but he needs to back it up with actions, so far he's done nothing to back up his words.

Hopefully starting on Tuesday.

Appleton brought Orr back remember... and started picking Murphy again after he was dropped by Bowyer and played Markus Ollson and the ineffective Rhodes/Campbell combo.

It's good to hear him talk about getting rid of those who aren't trying, but he needs to back it up with actions, so far he's done nothing to back up his words.

Hopefully starting on Tuesday.

Indeed. Appletons tactics should be of more concern on here than his disciplinary methods.

Appletons already peddling backwards

"I'm just glad that I got the response I got off the players in the
second half, I'm sure at some point the players who came off on Saturday
will get the opportunity to make amends and to make sure that it
doesn't happen again
".

Archived