BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] On the Wagon

I'm going to try narrowing it down to once a month bar the odd couple of cans. I think the hardest times are when other people are drinking around you, usually at weekends or when the footy is on.

You wont live longer...... it'll just seem like it.

Attempting to go the full year without (though not bothered if I don't manage - it's not strict). Doing it for financial reasons and to get rid of the last of my gut. Last drink was New Years Eve night/New Years Day early hours. Haven't had any cravings at all, though I'm not giving up because I feel I can't control my drinking. Had a few bottles of low calorie non-alcoholic small bottled beers at the pub but one suffices and then a diet coke seems a refreshing follow up. Beats the 3 or so casual's I used to drink all too often for no gain.

Attempting to go the full year without (though not bothered if I don't manage - it's not strict). Doing it for financial reasons and to get rid of the last of my gut. Last drink was New Years Eve night/New Years Day early hours. Haven't had any cravings at all, though I'm not giving up because I feel I can't control my drinking. Had a few bottles of low calorie non-alcoholic small bottled beers at the pub but one suffices and then a diet coke seems a refreshing follow up. Beats the 3 or so casual's I used to drink all too often for no gain.

I did from New Year till 26th Jan, when I had a old uni friend down for the weekend. Ive done it before, and feel it helps my health (and finances), I find its a good detox from all the celebrating at xmas. Ive tried the non-alcoholic lagers, but most I just dont like and many are full of sugar too. I prefer just sticking to the diet cokes or equivalents to be honest. Good luck on your 12 months target though.

I did from New Year till 26th Jan, when I had a old uni friend down for the weekend. Ive done it before, and feel it helps my health (and finances), I find its a good detox from all the celebrating at xmas. Ive tried the non-alcoholic lagers, but most I just dont like and many are full of sugar too. I prefer just sticking to the diet cokes or equivalents to be honest. Good luck on your 12 months target though.

Thanks.

Yes, the non-alcoholic beers aren't too great but it's nice to get a similar if disappointing taste once in a while. Makes the diet coke taste as refreshing as normal coke if I have one straight after too!

I've never been a drinker at all. I didn't drink in school, barely touched in university and even to this day I'll only rarely have a Magners and that would be it. First and foremost, I think the taste of alchol is shocking. The bitterness of beer with that terrible after taste is not pleasant. The same goes for wine.

The money you save from it is also an added bonus. Friends of mine would go out and would think nothing of dropping £150+ in a night. While I could afford it, I couldn't morally justify spending that sort of money on a couple of hours out in Belfast or very few other places for that matter.

I'm going to try narrowing it down to once a month bar the odd couple of cans. I think the hardest times are when other people are drinking around you, usually at weekends or when the footy is on.

Very hard for me as I work behind a bar and help out at beer festivals. Get introduced to new beers etc etc from a few brewers I know. But as I drink ale, I don't get hangovers. Good glass of water the following morning, I am fine.

• Backroom

Someone is wrong. It's hardly a good drink to drink but it's better than coke on the sugar front, given that it's sugar free.

Even better is coke zero. Essentially the same as diet coke but fewer sweeteners as well as less sugar :)

Very hard for me as I work behind a bar and help out at beer festivals. Get introduced to new beers etc etc from a few brewers I know. But as I drink ale, I don't get hangovers. Good glass of water the following morning, I am fine.

Not heard that ale doesn't give you hangovers before. I've only ever drunk about 3 pints of it at a time so wouldn't know.

I'm pretty sure nobody has slagged off alcohol or claimed that people who don't drink alcohol are better people than those who do. Some of stated they are better without alcohol. What is the problem with that?

I'll be drinking again in the future and I do like alcohol.

Stop looking for things that aren't here and contribute something of worth to the thread.

Impressive stuff. My birthday isn't until the end of April. Wonder if I'll be heading towards tipping point come then and if it'll make me crack. I'd have rather my birthday been the second week of Jan when my motivation was higher than it might be come April. Or towards the end of the year so I'm undoing a load of hard work by succumbing and the guilt trip might keep me going.

We'll see.

Archived