SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Punatic Asylum Prevails

Guest Wen Y Hu

Guest Wen Y Hu
Wednesday, 20 March 2013
The Punatic Asylum Prevails
Kamy
Too many times over the last three years have I found myself writing an article about a crisis at Blackburn Rovers, but unfortunately it seems that this is the norm under the stewardship of Venky’s.
Yesterday, Venky’s shocked the footballing world again by sacking manager Michael Appleton after just 67 days. Appleton lasted ten days more than the previous incumbent Henning Berg. Sources have revealed that the decision to sack Appleton was made between the owners and global advisor Shebby Singh.
Reports in the national media are suggesting that Appleton was told the news via a letter that was handed to him as he arrived to take training at Brockhall. Also sacked were his backroom team of Ashley Westwood, Luke Dowling and Darren Moore.
Over the last six games or so it is fair to say that results and performances have not been good. The games against Millwall in the FA Cup were particularly poor performances with fans complaining about the direct nature of the football Rovers were playing. This, coupled with poor results in the league, had seen Rovers slip to just four points above the relegation zone.
However, Appleton was appointed by Venky’s when most fans and pundits were saying that Rovers needed an experienced manager, yet Venky’s went down the unproven route. Appleton to his credit seemed to very quickly identify the problems with the footballing side of things — namely the unbalanced squad and lack of coaching and scouting structure. Appleton had also talked about having a long-term plan to get the club moving forward.
Ultimately a manager is always judged by results, but surely 67 days is far too short a period to make that judgement. Surely he at the very least deserved until the end of the season to see if he could improve results. There were also mitigating circumstances in that the squad had injuries and new players brought in needed time to bed in. Appleton also had very little time to adjust things on the training ground due to the huge number of games Rovers have had to play over the last six weeks.
Appleton also seemed to have sidelined Shebby Singh and taken control of all footballing matters. It has been reported Appleton and Shebby had never met and that, in my opinion, was the crux of the problem: no manager will stand a chance of taking the club forward while we have a boardroom that is split. Reports in the national media this morning are suggesting that Shebby and managing director Derek Shaw have not talked since January and watch games from different areas in the ground. It seems to me that these boardroom personalities are not working in the best interests of the club.
Venky’s stewardship of Rovers has lurched from one disaster to another, most of this down to them listening to advice from the wrong people. The situation is beyond repair now and really the only way the club will move forward is if they sell up. But at the moment that isn’t looking imminent, although the situation could change over the summer. Therefore, the only option they have is to remove Shebby, Shaw and Agnew and then appoint an experienced football administrator as chair or chief executive and let this person run the club for them.
Will this happen? I very much doubt it. I think that we are stuck in a vicious circle. Shebby now seems back in favour so I expect him to be involved in the selection process for the next manager. He will want someone who he can work with, rather than getting the best person for the job. No doubt if things don’t go well, then Shaw and Agnew will try and gain favour with the owners and we will be back to square one.
It is such a shame that a club that was so professionally run and held up as a model club has been so systematically destroyed over the last three years or so. While this is essentially the doing of Venky’s, the Walker Trust also need to take responsibility as Jack tasked them with protecting his legacy. The disastrous decision to sell to Venky’s has almost destroyed his legacy and their continued silence is deafening.

This post has been promoted to an article

Nice article Kammy. Can we not use eeveryones contacts, knowledge, people etc to get the whole of the media in the UK and in India to embarras Venkys that much that they have to sell? I mean if they all pulled together and a lot of the big papers now are on our side then surely they would have no choice but to and if the media could also target the "fit & proper" test the FA conjoured up then they may help us out too

• Backroom

Disagree with your belief that Appleton needed more time, however an overall accurate and concise article as usual Kamy.

Although I don't think there's any "almost" about it, Venky's have ruined Jack's legacy and the Walker Trust in selling to these cretins helped facilitate that destruction.

Posted in protest thread regarding Good Friday:

There certainly has to be a BIG statement of some sort, bigger than anything that has gone before.

Mass boycott? No-one in the ground? Fans on the pitch?

Everyone has been doing what they feel is right (attending/ not attending) - but surely people realise now that whatever happens on the pitch we are in terminal decline with Venky's at the helm. The problem is not going to ever go away as long as they are here.

The Good Friday game would seem ideal to do something, we all just need to put our heads together and agree on what.

In isolation sacking Appleton is right, results can't be worse with a change and may improve shortterm as usual with a different manager.

That said the series of events that have created this situation is appalling and we are screwed unless a total change in running the club is implemented pre season.

I am sure there is not ONE manager in the world who will succeed at Rovers whilst the current regime presides.

People please focus on the disease within -

Venkys - Shebby - Shaw - Agnew - remainder of inept Board members.

In isolation sacking Appleton is right, results can't be worse with a change and may improve shortterm as usual with a different manager.

That said the series of events that have created this situation is appalling and we are screwed unless a total change in running the club is implemented pre season.

It would only be right if a credible replacement was lined up ready to take over, the only way is for the Raos to be forcibly removed from the club. Legaly or phisically, I don't really care which as long as it happens sooner rather than later

Still nobody has put their head above the parapet??

Sorry but they won't. When you get arrogance on this scale, they are above answering or even commenting.

The local management or puppets appear to be on a joy ride. If they had anything about them they would stand up and be counted but alas they won't. Just pathetic little people.

We are gone!

There is a saying in the business world, I think this particular version of it attributed to the late founder and former CEO of Apple Inc, Steve Jobs: A players hire A+ players, B players hire C players.

The meaning being that truly competent people seek out to surround themselves with people even better than themselves because they recognise that this is the best and straightest path to success. Average or incompetent people seek to surround themslves with people they perceive to be inferior to themselves, because they are afraid of their authority being usurped or feeling inferior to their peers.

In addition to having all that money, Jack Walker was an A player, hence the excellent boardroom and management structure we had under his ownership. Venkys definitely appear to be B players, and Shebby continuing to try and root out any passable D players he can find to become manager of Blackburn Rovers gives away his relative 'player rating' in this analogy...not to allow the rest of the boardroom escape the analogy either!

Archived