BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Aquaduct

Gav

It's amazing how quickly the pub trade is dieing.

Blackburn was a great night out just 10 years ago, now it's a ghost town at night.

The postal used to have queues five deep fri/sat night. Now it's straight to the bar.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how quickly the pub trade is dieing.

Blackburn was a great night out just 10 years ago, now it's a ghost town at night.

The postal used to have queues five deep fri/sat night. Now it's straight to the bar.

Sadly this is down to the big breweries. Charge huge rents, restrict what beers a pub can sell. It is rare for me to go into a pub owned by a large brewery. freehouses only for me.

Although the big breweries are responsible for a lot of the decline of the pub trade. It is also customers who would rather buy alcohol is supermarkets, than go to a pub. But folk will go to a pub if the beer is good - which is down to the landlord.

In one of the clubs I work for our beer sales are up nearly 50%. Sad what is happening to the pubs in Blackburn. But if folk really do care about pubs in Blackburn. It is worth getting involved with the local CAMRA group. Who have experience of trying to keep pubs open.

Memories of the Aqueduct-

Remember being in there after Citeh got promotion. A group of the MASSIVE came flying in after putting one of the windows through. I watched in amazement when a group of girls(Rovers fans) launched everything at hand towards the MASSIVE. The big Citeh lot panicked and ran away. Not condoning the glass throwing but it was good to see bullies getting some back.

The smashed window was one of the old frosted Lion Ales windows , always hated classless Citeh after that day.

Thwaites are diversifting out to the Countryside and promising small Hotels.

Following on with other suggestions -could it become the Museum....since Rob Coar has been sitting on this idea for 20 years. With a Cafe/Pub open on key days and evenings? Other Clubs would buy it as a 'stepping stone' to the ground -BRFCS/Trust/BRAG/Benefactor? Same as Uncle Jacks on the other side. This is the problem with absentee Owners.

Thwaites are diversifting out to the Countryside and promising small Hotels.Following on with other suggestions -could it become the Museum....since Rob Coar has been sitting on this idea for 20 years. With a Cafe/Pub open on key days and evenings? Other Clubs would buy it as a 'stepping stone' to the ground -BRFCS/Trust/BRAG/Benefactor? Same as Uncle Jacks on the other side. This is the problem with absentee Owners.

I think Stanley have done that with the Crown on Whalley Rd.

In my opinion thwaites have a lot to answer for the decline in pubs in our area.

I know 2 landlords personally who used to have respective thwaites' pubs in this area. Both did extremely well. Therefore thwaites increased their rent. They became victims of their own success and were effectively forced out as they couldn't make any money.

One of them now has a freehouse just further up the road. The original pub is now a derelict eyesore and thwaites have put a covenant on saying it cannot be bought as a pub.

The other has left the pub trade all together after 15 years of success with his particular pub. I understand said pub is now on the decline.

Which leads me onto the aqueduct. I haven't been in for a few years because it wasn't a particularly nice pub. The beer wasn't particularly good quality and there were better watering holes around. However a rovers fan could easily have made a go of that as a freehouse. It could have been renovated inside and be something if a shrine to rovers. Yet thwaites put a covenant on it preventing it being used as a pub in the future.

I think Stanley have done that with the Crown on Whalley Rd.

Stanley leased the Crown from the pub chain that owned it originally, and it was a loss maker. I remember a documentary about Stanley on the TV and the then owner Eric Whalley having a rant about how much money it was costing them. I am not sure under what circumstances they run it now.

In my opinion thwaites have a lot to answer for the decline in pubs in our area.

I know 2 landlords personally who used to have respective thwaites' pubs in this area. Both did extremely well. Therefore thwaites increased their rent. They became victims of their own success and were effectively forced out as they couldn't make any money.

One of them now has a freehouse just further up the road. The original pub is now a derelict eyesore and thwaites have put a covenant on saying it cannot be bought as a pub.

The other has left the pub trade all together after 15 years of success with his particular pub. I understand said pub is now on the decline.

Which leads me onto the aqueduct. I haven't been in for a few years because it wasn't a particularly nice pub. The beer wasn't particularly good quality and there were better watering holes around. However a rovers fan could easily have made a go of that as a freehouse. It could have been renovated inside and be something if a shrine to rovers. Yet thwaites put a covenant on it preventing it being used as a pub in the future.

It is how Thwaites have operated for at least the last 40 years, successful Landlords have been priced out of the pubs they have made popular. A short sighted policy that is now costing them. The Aqueduct has been in decline for years and probably only made ends meet with what it took on matchdays. Like you say it wasn't a nice pub and the beer was not great. We gave up going in this season as they stopped having Guinness on.

Sad news. First time when I was in Blackburn. I went to drink Ewood Arms pre match pint (also on Friday). Second time I planned go to same place. Can not go because Ewood Arms was closed. No problem I go to next pub. This was Aquaduct. Aquaduct was very friendly pub. And now also this pub is closed.

Where I drink next time when i come to look at the Rovers match.... maybe I must drink a hotel room one bottle of vodka before match. Finnish breakfast. :)

Here Finland my local (haunt) bars are older than me. Do not have to worry about when my bar is out of business.

Bring some Minttu over - everyone is a winner then!

Makes you wonder if Thwaites are getting their own back for Rovers dropping their beer.

Their own back on whom? Pubs closing affects Rovers, as a business, not one bit.

Pubs like The Station are thriving, as is my local The Withy Arms in Brig.

Maybe if the Aquaduct and Navvy took a leaf out of their book they would be the same

Have a look at what the average attendance was during the 80's ... no sign of the Aquaduct or Ewood Arms closing back then.

Regarding the distinctive appearance of the building ... it was built as one of three similar styled pubs ... The Aquaduct, The Harrison's Arms (I think it was Arms but not 100% sure! .... anyway long gone) and The Mill Hill Hotel.

Was the Albion in the 80's .will always be the Albion to me. Sad times ahead .

RE Jock post #29Memories of the Aqueduct-

The smashed window was one of the old frosted Lion Ales windows ,

I don't remember it being a Matthew Brown Pub.

Wasnt there a Lion Brewery that Matthew Brown took over?

Was the Aqueduct next to the train station in Blackburn?

If so (and my memory hasn't completely gone) I was actually there at one time and had a few drinks with my cousin. The beer was decent though the place needed a bit of cleaning.

Was the Aqueduct next to the train station in Blackburn?

If so (and my memory hasn't completely gone) I was actually there at one time and had a few drinks with my cousin. The beer was decent though the place needed a bit of cleaning.

You thinking of the adelphi (which is still there) or the boulevard I think it was called (which has long gone)?

Sadly this is down to the big breweries. Charge huge rents, restrict what beers a pub can sell. It is rare for me to go into a pub owned by a large brewery. freehouses only for me.

Although the big breweries are responsible for a lot of the decline of the pub trade. It is also customers who would rather buy alcohol is supermarkets, than go to a pub. But folk will go to a pub if the beer is good - which is down to the landlord.

In one of the clubs I work for our beer sales are up nearly 50%. Sad what is happening to the pubs in Blackburn. But if folk really do care about pubs in Blackburn. It is worth getting involved with the local CAMRA group. Who have experience of trying to keep pubs open.

You can get four pint cans of Stella for a fiver in Marks and Sparks of all places !. Where I live all the pubs have stopped selling Stella for some reason but in Manchester pubs you'll be talking around the £4-50 mark for one pint I suppose. That's a no brainer for most of the week for me I'm afraid.

• Moderation Lead

You can get four pint cans of Stella for a fiver in Marks and Sparks of all places !. Where I live all the pubs have stopped selling Stella for some reason but in Manchester pubs you'll be talking around the £4-50 mark for one pint I suppose. That's a no brainer for most of the week for me I'm afraid.

I remember just about 5 years ago when you could get 8 cans for £5...... Halcyon days those!!

Archived