BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Aquaduct

Gav

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thwaites are selling the pub and are placing a covenant in the sale agreement which will prevent it from being allowed to be opened as a public house in the future. Enterprise Inns sold the Ewood Arms with a similar covenant in the agreement.

So sadly its a permanent farewell i'm afraid.

Ruddy 'ell the Aquaduct was almost a landmark in itself.....another one bites the dust.

P.S.

What a great opportunity for the club to finally open that much mooted museum right on one of the towns major roads...if only we had the people at the club with a bit of foresight and enterprise. :rock:

Just drove past the Aquaduct at Ewood and it looks like its being boarded up, another match day pub about to bite the dust?

Just seen it, it looks terrible. What an eyesore with those metal window and door coverings. It looks like some inner city slum. Think the people around the area gypo's excluded will be appalled at how it looks boarded up.

The first negative signs of the Venky effect on the Ewood area.

Thwaites are selling the pub and are placing a covenant in the sale agreement which will prevent it from being allowed to be opened as a public house in the future. Enterprise Inns sold the Ewood Arms with a similar covenant in the agreement.

So sadly its a permanent farewell i'm afraid.

There maybe a way of fighting that if locals are really interested. Contact North west CAMRA they should be able to advise. It can only be done by local folk though.

Sad news. First time when I was in Blackburn. I went to drink Ewood Arms pre match pint (also on Friday). Second time I planned go to same place. Can not go because Ewood Arms was closed. No problem I go to next pub. This was Aquaduct. Aquaduct was very friendly pub. And now also this pub is closed.

Where I drink next time when i come to look at the Rovers match.... maybe I must drink a hotel room one bottle of vodka before match. Finnish breakfast. :)

Here Finland my local (haunt) bars are older than me. Do not have to worry about when my bar is out of business.

Fox and Hounds, Brown Cow Havelock

Sad news. First time when I was in Blackburn. I went to drink Ewood Arms pre match pint (also on Friday). Second time I planned go to same place. Can not go because Ewood Arms was closed. No problem I go to next pub. This was Aquaduct. Aquaduct was very friendly pub. And now also this pub is closed.

Where I drink next time when i come to look at the Rovers match.... maybe I must drink a hotel room one bottle of vodka before match. Finnish breakfast. :)

Here Finland my local (haunt) bars are older than me. Do not have to worry about when my bar is out of business.

Brown Cow, Havelock, Fox and Hounds all good pubs close to the ground and friendly.

The first negative signs of the Venky effect on the Ewood area.

how??? the owners of the pub thawaties wanted to sell and wont let it become a pub again for some reason??? surely they are to blame.

they could simply sell the public house to people who want it and let them run it as a pub or restuarant?

how??? the owners of the pub thawaties wanted to sell and wont let it become a pub again for some reason??? surely they are to blame.

they could simply sell the public house to people who want it and let them run it as a pub or restuarant?

Match day crowds down must have an effect on turn over.

I think Gav has mentioned before what a distinctive building it is.

The dwindling attendances will have meant less in the pub on match days something that was obviously the pubs life line which is now no more. Whats to go next chaddy ?

Match day crowds down must have an effect on turn over.

I think Gav has mentioned before what a distinctive building it is.

Have a look at what the average attendance was during the 80's ... no sign of the Aquaduct or Ewood Arms closing back then.

Regarding the distinctive appearance of the building ... it was built as one of three similar styled pubs ... The Aquaduct, The Harrison's Arms (I think it was Arms but not 100% sure! .... anyway long gone) and The Mill Hill Hotel.

Have a look at what the average attendance was during the 80's ... no sign of the Aquaduct or Ewood Arms closing back then.

Regarding the distinctive appearance of the building ... it was built as one of three similar styled pubs ... The Aquaduct, The Harrison's Arms (I think it was Arms but not 100% sure! .... anyway long gone) and The Mill Hill Hotel.

Probably not as much pressure on in the 80's from supermarket booze sales.

Forgot about the Harrisons. Also forgot about the Horse Load further along Bolton Rd. Used to take about three hours from town to turnstile starting at the Duke of York on Darwen St!

We always went in the pool room after Rovers matches. Last time we went in the Aqueduct the pool room was closed, the service was slow and poor and the beer was terrible.

I just hope Birdie, Terry, Mark and their mates have rescued all the photos and memorabilia before the place becomes derelict.

Where can we view these in future?

We always went in the pool room after Rovers matches. Last time we went in the Aqueduct the pool room was closed, the service was slow and poor and the beer was terrible.

I just hope Birdie and his mates have rescued all the photos and memorabilia before the place becomes derelict.

Where can we view these in future?

Fox and Hounds pub !

Various pubco's are reducing the amount of pubs they have - but are then stopping them becoming free houses.

Archived