BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] possible transfer targets summer 2013

Come on Maj. Thats not the case all the time. Plenty of sides perform well who field sides with less quality on paper than other sides they come up against. A decent manager can galvanise a side to play above themselves. If that wasn't the case then any schmoe could be a football manager. What Rovers need isn't an overhaul of the squad. What they need is a manager who can extract 100% from every player at his disposal, a set of owners who can set out a plan of action and make the correct decisions in aiming towards it and a fan base who can see some positives on the horizon and don't feel beaten into submission before a ball has been kicked on a Saturday afternoon. When some or all of those components are in place Rovers have a chance.

There is no point in assembling a squad of players who are the best in the division when the rest of the club and its followers are on their knees.I'm afraid at this stage of proceedings we need to learn to walk before we can run. The club needs to get a feel good factor back and that will take a bit of time. Bowyer, imo, seems to be working along the right lines. Lets get some players in who will sweat blood for the shirt. Lets have some correlation between the players who go out on the park and the fans who pay to watch them. With the club the way it is, that seems like the only way we'll see any improvement in how the fans feel about all things Rovers at this moment in time. And lets not forget what we already have at our disposal. Rhodes is a class act. The Dann and Hanley partnership has shown signs of promise. Olsson is a Swedish international. Leon Best should have enough about him to score some goals at this level. Josh King has bags of pace and is deemed good enough to play for Norway. And i'm always being told how good Rochina is (albeit minus a footballing brain). This squad has pockets of talent. What it lacks is leadership and cohesion. We need to get an identity and ethos which everyone at the club can believe in. Until we get rid of the divisions within the squad and the boardroom we will always fail. It wouldn't matter if we fielded the best side in the league week in week out.

But can they do that for a whole season? My reply was merely to point out to others that there is more than one way to skin a cat. For some it would appear it's either sign aging prem players or freebies from the lower leagues. They then cite Cardiff etc as an example of how this can be done and yet they have spent millions. The world is not black N white.

My thoughts and feelings on the way forward for Rovers are easily put together from my posts. You will find they are not that different from your's so I'm a little bemused why you've responded as you have. I would however say this, we don't have time to get a feel good factor back or build bridges with the fans. It all needs to be concurrently done as we're pissing 2M a month down the drain with debts of 40M+ and promotion is a must next season. If not none of it will matter as we'll be keaned and spending the rest of our lifes watching dog n duck football in the lower leagues ala Pompey. Even a loon from pune will evetually figure out that pissing into the wind isn't a good thing to do. We must get things right on the pitch, sack the muppets running the show and the feel good factor will follow as will results, hopefully. I pray Bowyer gets it right as he would appear to have rovers at heart, but in the same vein that's the only real thing distinquishing him from Kean, Appleton or Berg. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts and feelings on the way forward for Rovers are easily put together from my posts. You will find they are not that different from your's so I'm a little bemused why you've responded as you have.

My post wasn't intended to be abrasive or offensive towards you Maj. But i am sure you will appreciate that its a bit difficult to keep track of how each and every poster feels about things. I actually didn't mean to quote that particular post of yours. It was really supposed to be in response to an earlier one in which you alluded to Rovers needing to buy a number of better quality players.

Anyway, i can't see how we can turn this side around quickly. The fans need lifting and (maybe its just me here) but i feel that watching a side in blue and white halves who give 110% for the cause and know how much it matters is a really solid start. If Bowyer can deliver this and the place manages to rise from the foggy depression it finds itself in then it will have a knock on effect and the better players in the side might just start to show their talents. However, i agree entirely that big decisions need to come from the top.

chris mccann formally of burnley looks an option, tracked by prem clubs a couple of season`s back, proven at this level, still quite young at 25, no fee and probably reasonable wages.

has there ever been a player play for rovers immediatly after playing for burnley before, ever..?

Fair enough, I'm rather shocked however that you don't keep a track of my every word. ;)

I feel we do need better quality and would cite the following positions CB, LB, RB, CM, I don't rate Dann, he's too quiet, doesn't commit when he needs too and can't head for toffee. I would never make him captain he's not a vocal leader and we need this at present. People talk of a lack of industry and desire, well that's part of the captains role, it's not Dann. He's just not my sort of CB, I want someone who attacks the ball and stops it getting to the CF, this is not Dann. I'd play Givet alongside Hanley. LB, we haven't had one since Warnock and whilst I like the look of Henley, he's injury prone so a RB as well. Everyone talks about having solid players in the middle, I'd rather one terrier and a creator. For me one key role that we miss and have for years is a man who can pass the ball, a man with vision. It's alright having these pacy wingers but who gets the ball to them in dangerous positions? Williamson, no it's not his game, Etuhu, I'd rather play Keith, Murphy, burnt his bridges, Jones, just show him onto his left. We just don't have a ball player in the squad and we will need one. And yes they all need to be motivated and driven, but since everyone on the planet can do this with the right stimulus, we'll need Bowyer to step-up and make the grade from day one.

Everyone sees things differently but that's how I see things moving forward, we are decent attacking wise and rubbish defensively. Better quality in those area's doesn't mean spending millions it just means better players and every rover knows that can be done cheaply. The other aspect is the money issue and I'd be touting quiet a lot of our players, Olsson for starters along with the majority of those no-one wants and the loanees from last season except Rochina.

chris mccann formally of burnley looks an option, tracked by prem clubs a couple of season`s back, proven at this level, still quite young at 25, no fee and probably reasonable wages.

has there ever been a player play for rovers immediatly after playing for burnley before, ever..?

I seem to remember reading that he was on his way to Hull. Good job JAL isn't a Tigers fan.

I do believe a lot of the questions that are being asked in regards to the squad have already been solved. I keep hearing about needing a new left back, but properly motivated Martin O would be perfect, should that fail I don't agree with Henley is injury prone just felt he was brought back too early and hence got injured again. Henley ideally would be a perfect left back for me. CB I think Scotty Dann has done a tremendous job this year, and I wouldn't touch the Dann/Hanley Partnership. Todd Kane must return to the squad and I am confident we can get him.

In midfield Lee Williamson is more than capable as a DM, and hopefully Etuhu will wake up, and show us what we missed. I think given a proper pre-season (Not like last year) then the squad will be far better. Creative midfield I think we need one more with Jones coming in as well. (Luke Murphy maybe?)

Attack I am more than happy with Rhodes, Best, King, Rochina around.

Bowyer made fantastic signing, in "Bowyer I trust!". I am more than happy to give him time, I don't believe in the doomsday saying that if we don't go up this year we are dead and buried. Owners comes and go, debts come and go, clubs always find a way to survive thanks to the fans. One way or another this club will always be here, and I will always support it regardless of the division it is in.

Fair enough, I'm rather shocked however that you don't keep a track of my every word. ;)

........................... The other aspect is the money issue and I'd be touting quiet a lot of our players, Olsson for starters along with the majority of those no-one wants and the loanees from last season except Rochina.

I agree that our midfield needs addressing. But i hate it when people have this image of a ball playing midfielder. Someone who is forgiven for neglecting every other aspect of the game but can pass a ball majestically. There are some out there who can get about the place and use the ball well when they get it. This division is a tough place for those players who want to prance about like a show pony. What i wouldn't give for a David Thompson type right now. Can Judge do this? Jury's out for moment (no pun intended). As for full backs, if Olsson can sort his head out then he has the ability to do a job. If he can't i'd sell him without losing any sleep.

I'm right with you regarding Dann. He is a 'second ball' defender and not a very good one at that. However, there were signs that he and Hanley were developing an understanding of sorts. Hanley fancies himself as another Colin Hendry type. If he can learn when the first ball is there to be won and when its best to hold his position then he can do the donkey work for Dann. Every good center half pairing needs a ball winner and a sweeper (so to speak). I don't rate either too highly to be honest, but i think there have been signs that the partnership has something. Much like Dann and Roger Johnson had at Brum. Work in progress, but a decent back line is hard to cobble together and i'd like to see us stick with these two as they will only get better with time.

I feel we do need better quality and would cite the following positions CB, LB, RB, CM, I don't rate Dann, he's too quiet, doesn't commit when he needs too and can't head for toffee. I would never make him captain he's not a vocal leader and we need this at present. People talk of a lack of industry and desire, well that's part of the captains role, it's not Dann. He's just not my sort of CB, I want someone who attacks the ball and stops it getting to the CF, this is not Dann. I'd play Givet alongside Hanley. LB, we haven't had one since Warnock and whilst I like the look of Henley, he's injury prone so a RB as well. Everyone talks about having solid players in the middle, I'd rather one terrier and a creator. For me one key role that we miss and have for years is a man who can pass the ball, a man with vision. It's alright having these pacy wingers but who gets the ball to them in dangerous positions? Williamson, no it's not his game, Etuhu, I'd rather play Keith, Murphy, burnt his bridges, Jones, just show him onto his left. We just don't have a ball player in the squad and we will need one. And yes they all need to be motivated and driven, but since everyone on the planet can do this with the right stimulus, we'll need Bowyer to step-up and make the grade from day one.

Everyone sees things differently but that's how I see things moving forward, we are decent attacking wise and rubbish defensively. Better quality in those area's doesn't mean spending millions it just means better players and every rover knows that can be done cheaply. The other aspect is the money issue and I'd be touting quiet a lot of our players, Olsson for starters along with the majority of those no-one wants and the loanees from last season except Rochina.

I believe you are completely incorrect about Dann.

And the troll keeps trolling .

Jack Bruton

Walter Joyce

Adam Blackshaw

And the troll keeps trolling .

i take it you wouldn`t approve of such a move then? then again there ain`t much you would have approved of shy of beckham and ronaldinho having joined US is there? so many conditions to your support of OUR club isn`t there?

Beckhams retired . Please stop using us .. Your a Liverpool fan so your opinion is worthless .i must have a lot of conditions , 42 years of having a season ticket .Dont you have another forum to post on where no one likes you either.

I agree that our midfield needs addressing. But i hate it when people have this image of a ball playing midfielder. Someone who is forgiven for neglecting every other aspect of the game but can pass a ball majestically. There are some out there who can get about the place and use the ball well when they get it. This division is a tough place for those players who want to prance about like a show pony. What i wouldn't give for a David Thompson type right now. Can Judge do this? Jury's out for moment (no pun intended). As for full backs, if Olsson can sort his head out then he has the ability to do a job. If he can't i'd sell him without losing any sleep.

I'm right with you regarding Dann. He is a 'second ball' defender and not a very good one at that. However, there were signs that he and Hanley were developing an understanding of sorts. Hanley fancies himself as another Colin Hendry type. If he can learn when the first ball is there to be won and when its best to hold his position then he can do the donkey work for Dann. Every good center half pairing needs a ball winner and a sweeper (so to speak). I don't rate either too highly to be honest, but i think there have been signs that the partnership has something. Much like Dann and Roger Johnson had at Brum. Work in progress, but a decent back line is hard to cobble together and i'd like to see us stick with these two as they will only get better with time.

For me anymidfielder needs to be able to tackle just like passing though there are levels of ability in that area. We need someone with a bit of bite and vision a lesser Tugay for me if you like. We'll see on Judge, he could be enough, he could not, but not every league one player of the season will make the step-up. I can't see Olsson staying he needs to think about his career and he's better than the championship. Anyway he'd be left wing for me as his postioning defensively is poor and I'd like a more solid back 4 for this league. We could also get a fee for him a cover a couple of months 2M pound losses. If we do have any readies to spend a quality CM would be 1st priority as he'll be the link-man and feed the wingers/forwards and we'll need a threat both centrally and out wide to go up.

I believe you are completely incorrect about Dann.

Fair enough, I thought he was pants a brum as well and still cannot believe we paid 7.5M for him, robbed. I'd flog him to the first bidder as we can get the same quality for a fraction of the price.

I seem to remember reading that he was on his way to Hull. Good job JAL isn't a Tigers fan.

burnley fans putting it on their page he`s had talks at brockhall today..

No idea if there is any truth in the rumours. For what it is worth a couple of seasons back I was a big fan but he then had a fairly serious knee injury and didn't ever seem to quite come back from that fully. He's certainly lacked something this last 18 months or so - whether a change of scenery will be enough I'm not sure.

For me anymidfielder needs to be able to tackle just like passing though there are levels of ability in that area. We need someone with a bit of bite and vision a lesser Tugay for me if you like. We'll see on Judge, he could be enough, he could not, but not every league one player of the season will make the step-up. I can't see Olsson staying he needs to think about his career and he's better than the championship. Anyway he'd be left wing for me as his postioning defensively is poor and I'd like a more solid back 4 for this league. We could also get a fee for him a cover a couple of months 2M pound losses. If we do have any readies to spend a quality CM would be 1st priority as he'll be the link-man and feed the wingers/forwards and we'll need a threat both centrally and out wide to go up.

Fair enough, I thought he was pants a brum as well and still cannot believe we paid 7.5M for him, robbed. I'd flog him to the first bidder as we can get the same quality for a fraction of the price.

Didn't Scott Dann form a fairly formidable central defensive partnership with Roger Johnson at Birmingham under Alex McLeish?

Didn't Scott Dann form a fairly formidable central defensive partnership at Birmingham under Alex McLeish?

He did, but Darren Peacock, Christian Dailly and Lorenzo Amoruso managed to have a single successful season in their career as well.

It was so long ago now that it means nothing. Possibly cemented by the fact that Roger Johnson has been proven to be gash as well. If he was on reasonable wages I'd say keep him as a squad player, but as he'll be on pretty big wages we should sell him at the first opportunity (if it arises). He'd be very easy to replace.

Archived