BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Justin Langer is open to the idea of becoming England next head coach but wants to coach all 3 formats but no decision on the head coach role until Strauss and ECB appoint a new England's Director of Football. The 3 front runners for that role is Marcus North, Ed Smith and Rob Key 

Justin Langer thought to be softening to the idea of coaching England | Daily Mail Online

DAVID LLOYD: For goodness sake get Matt Parkinson in the England side! He can spin the ball and bamboozle batters... the late, great Shane Warne really rated him, so let's not worry about his batting and fielding

DAVID LLOYD: For goodness sake get leg-spinner Matt Parkinson in the England side! | Daily Mail Online

Its time England pick their best spinner in the country and that is Matt Parkinson for me. 7

What we can expect from Rob Key if he becomes England’s managing director of cricket

What We Can Expect From Rob Key If He Becomes England's Managing Director Of Cricket (wisden.com)

Lancashire played the first day of county championship cricket at Kent yesterday. Lancashire won the toss and elected to Bat first. after day 1 we are 344/4. Centuries from Captain Vilas(124) and Croft(113 not out). Phil Salt is the other not out batsman currently. 

The Lancashire team is Balderson, Wells, Bohannon, Croft, Vilas(C), Salt(wk), Wood, Lamb, Bailey, Hasan Ali, Parkinson

• Like 1

On 03/04/2022 at 14:19, den said:

I don’t know Gav.

Bumble’s earned the opportunity to say what he wants to say in my opinion. It just sounds to me that the removal of the other long term sky pundits has rattled him. It was a better commentary box with those guys IMO.

Not if those comments are racist and insulting to the Asian community he hasn't.

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Joe Root resigns as England Test Captain

We still need to keep him in the side though, nobody else can get any runs!

There’s not exactly a long list of candidates to replace Root as captain either! 

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We still need to keep him in the side though, nobody else can get any runs!

There’s not exactly a long list of candidates to replace Root as captain either! 

Root will be in the team going forward. 

Stokes appears the only candidate for the summer but we need sort out the next Director of Cricket position, next Test coach and the next test captain. We need to appoint the new Director of Cricket within the next 2 weeks and from reports it appears to be Rob Key who seems to in line for it. If appoint he has massive job to do. 

20 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Not before bloody time. One win in seventeen. 

Its fine saying that sort of comments but the problems of England cricket is bigger than Root as Captain. Lack of quality players about, county championship cricket played at the wrong time, England focus has been too much on white ball cricket

Root should have gone after the Ashes debacle. Although the problems in English cricket are deep rooted (geddit?) he hasn't helped himself with some baffling decisions and weak strategies on the field.

Who next? Stokes doesn't strike me as a great thinker and appointing your best player as skipper doesn't usually work. An all rounder has enough to do never mind captain the side.....evidence the example of Ian Botham's disastrous tenure when the team still lost and his own form dipped.

I'd get the best captain from county cricket, an experienced strategist and one who inspires other players. A winner. Is there another Mike Brearley out there? 

Edited by jim mk2

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its fine saying that sort of comments but the problems of England cricket is bigger than Root as Captain. Lack of quality players about, county championship cricket played at the wrong time, England focus has been too much on white ball cricket

Yeah I’m not saying things will be fixed because of this for all the reasons you mention and more but root as captain was a big problem. A lot like rovers root as captain was a problem overshadowed by the travesty of the ECB in the same way Mowbray is a problem for rovers overshadowed by the Venkys. 

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

Yeah I’m not saying things will be fixed because of this for all the reasons you mention and more but root as captain was a big problem. A lot like rovers root as captain was a problem overshadowed by the travesty of the ECB in the same way Mowbray is a problem for rovers overshadowed by the Venkys. 

Root as a batsman will still produce the runs just need to find a couple more quality batsmen to fit into out batting line up then pick 4 quality bowlers including the best spinner. 

But we need to appoint the right director of cricket who will make the county game and test cricket more of focus than in recent years, Appoint separate test and white ball coaches then appoint Ben Stokes as test cricket captain.  

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Root should have gone after the Ashes debacle. Although the problems in English cricket are deep rooted (geddit?) he hasn't helped himself with some baffling decisions and weak strategies on the field.

Who next? Stokes doesn't strike me as a great thinker and appointing your best player as skipper doesn't usually work. An all rounder has enough to do never mind captain the side.....evidence the example of Ian Botham's disastrous tenure when the team still lost and his own form dipped.

I'd get the best captain from county cricket, an experienced strategist and one who inspires other players. A winner. Is there another Mike Brearley out there? 

Agree. I think stokes would end in disaster.

We constantly underestimate the value of a captain. Unlike in football in cricket it’s the most important decision. I’d also reach out to the county circuit and appoint whoever is acknowledged as the best captain. If, for eg, that’s Will Rhodes from notts who would never ordinarily be selected then so be it. The Mike brearley selection could be the way to go as we currently are. Plus it’s not like the person coming in will replace someone scoring runs.

Thats assuming there even is one the cupboard might be empty. 

Edited by matt83

• Moderation Lead

I think Stokes is on record saying he doesn’t want the captaincy.

Plus, I think given his personal struggles over the last year, it would be unfair to ask it of him too.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think Stokes is on record saying he doesn’t want the captaincy.

Plus, I think given his personal struggles over the last year, it would be unfair to ask it of him too.

Didn't he do that cos of great friendship and respect for Joe Root

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Agree. I think stokes would end in disaster.

We constantly underestimate the value of a captain. Unlike in football in cricket it’s the most important decision. I’d also reach out to the county circuit and appoint whoever is acknowledged as the best captain. If, for eg, that’s Will Rhodes from notts who would never ordinarily be selected then so be it. The Mike brearley selection could be the way to go as we currently are. Plus it’s not like the person coming in will replace someone scoring runs.

Thats assuming there even is one the cupboard might be empty. 

why would Stokes be a disaster? 

any captain has been worth his selection in the team first. A county player wouldn't. 

I think its between Stokes and Board for the next Test Captain for the summer

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't he do that cos of great friendship and respect for Joe Root

I’ve no idea to be honest, just quoting what he said. My money’s on Broad. The only real candidate that springs to mind! 
Would be one hell of a return for him if that did happen!

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would Stokes be a disaster? 

any captain has been worth his selection in the team first. A county player wouldn't. 

I think its between Stokes and Board for the next Test Captain for the summer

I think he’s got too much to concentrate on bowling and batting. Plus he’s not always right mentally.

I disagree about the merits of a captain. I think a good captain would make up for no contribution in terms of runs or wickets as Jim said Mike brearley is the gold standard of that theory. Root is one of the finest batsmen we’ve produced but his captaincy cost us as many runs as he ever scored. 

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve no idea to be honest, just quoting what he said. My money’s on Broad. The only real candidate that springs to mind! 
Would be one hell of a return for him if that did happen!

Well we find out in 6 weeks time

3 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I think he’s got too much to concentrate on bowling and batting. Plus he’s not always right mentally.

I disagree about the merits of a captain. I think a good captain would make up for no contribution in terms of runs or wickets as Jim said Mike brearley is the gold standard of that theory. Root is one of the finest batsmen we’ve produced but his captaincy cost us as many runs as he ever scored. 

Has Stokes said he is currently not right mentally? I think Stokes would give on 50 over cricket and step back from bowling too much if he got the captain job. He did a great job of captaining the 50 over team in 3 games in 2020

The Mike Brearley days was 40 years ago. Like Mike Atherton said this morning those days are gone. 

Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain and Michael Vaughan all backing Ben Stokes to replace Joe Root as England test Captain. Also some interesting comments by Nasser Hussain when people compare Stokes to Botham or Flintoff, And Mike Atherton on people suggesting a Mike Brearley type of appointment. 

Fellow former England captains Michael Atherton and Nasser Hussain agree with Vaughan that Stokes is the ‘obvious’ candidate to take over the side.

‘You’ve got to pick somebody who is worth his place in the side,’ Atherton told Sky Sports. ‘I think the days are long gone where you could have a Mike Brearley-type figure, who wouldn’t necessarily be a first-choice pick.

‘Just because of the scrutiny, you need to be worth your place in the side, so Ben Stokes is the obvious candidate.’

Hussain added: ‘For me the obvious candidate is Ben Stokes. People say, “Oh, Ben Stokes”, do you know what happened to [Andrew] Flintoff and [Sir Ian] Botham?

‘Ben Stokes is not Flintoff and he’s not Botham, don’t judge him by how other people have done.

‘Stokes has done some phenomenal things as a cricketer and has a very smart cricket brain. He showed that when he’s taken over occasionally from Joe Root.’

Michael Vaughan names the 'only option' to replace Joe Root as England captain (msn.com)

Rob Key is set to appoint as the new England director of cricket next week. 

Also looks like Ottis Gibson and Mark Robinson could be potential head coach candidate and Paul Farbrace could be the new national selector

Joe Root: England captain deserved to go out on his own terms before ECB sacked him | Daily Mail Online

Joe Root resigns: Rob Key set to be appointed director of cricket and will lead search for new captain (inews.co.uk)

50 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’m off to watch Bradfield v Kexborough today, you can’t beat a bit of village cricket.

@Tyrone Shoelaces How was the rugby? 

Brilliant. Nothing beats seeing off your local rivals comprehensively after having a man harshly red carded. Remember the 5-0 beating of the dingles ? It was nearly as good as that.

Nice day for cricket. Do they have pro’s in that competition ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1