BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

You seriously comparing the techniques of the likes of Crawley (or Burns or Hameed or Sibley) to greats of the game like Cook, Atherton or Stewart?!

They are absolutely textbook compared to what on earth is going on with that lot…

Alistair Cook himself said Crawley has the technique to be one of Englands greatest ever batsmen, he shows glimpses of quality, but time will tell, he's still young and learning. 

• Like 1

Chaddy given out lbw without offering a shot trying to compare Crawley with Strauss and Cook, two of the best England players of recent years with exemplary techniques and above all the right temperament for Test cricket. Crawley has neither

The love affair with Stewart is mystifying too ... is it because he talks a good game on the radio? Shows how people are easily misled.  Nothing Stewart says strikes me as him having a high cricket intelligence or being an original thinker. I'd employ him to carry the bags but that's about it.

Former Glamorgan batsman Steve James writes an excellent column in The Times and Atherton is The Times chief cricket writer. Always worth reading, James particularly on batting,  but that doesn't make them good candidates.

Come to think it, ex-journalists are the last people you want in charge. Boris Johnson used to be a journalist (sacked twice for lying). Enough said 

Edited by jim mk2

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Alistair Cook himself said Crawley has the technique to be one of Englands greatest ever batsmen, he shows glimpses of quality, but time will tell, he's still young and learning. 

most of the greatest players don't have what people would say in a the best technique like like Smith, Pointing, Tendulkar  Kallis, Kohli Cook, Root, Williamson and Lara. But they had or having very successful test career in terms of runs. 

Cook is correct on Crawley's technique 

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Chaddy given out lbw without offering a shot trying to compare Crawley with Strauss and Cook, two of the best England players of recent years with exemplary techniques and above all the right temperament for Test cricket. Crawley has neither

The love affair with Stewart is mystifying too ... is it because he talks a good game on the radio? Shows how people are easily misled.  Nothing Stewart says strikes me as him having a high cricket intelligence or being an original thinker. I'd employ him to carry the bags but that's about it.

Former Glamorgan batsman Steve James writes an excellent column in The Times and Atherton is The Times chief cricket writer. Always worth reading, James particularly on batting,  but that doesn't make them good candidates.

don't listen to the radio for Stewart but clearly you have heard on there. 

Stewart and Atherton know the county game and what it takes to be successful on Test cricket. They faced some of the best bowlers in test cricket in Glenn McGrath, Courtney Walsh, Curtly Ambrose and Allan Donald. 

Jim, you mention love affair but your answer every time is to ignore/dismiss England coaches and coaches/people with County Championship experience in favour of bringing in overseas coaches/people who know zero about the county game and our players at that level. Same old Jim, the answer is to always employed overseas people

The County championship is a weak competition that is failing to produce Test quality players. That fact flawed batsmen such as Sibley, Hameed, Burns and Crawley score heavily in it is an illustration how poor it is. 

Silverwood is a product of that system, we don't need another one. 

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I'm pretty sure England were deliberately throwing their wickets away from Billings down. Scumbags.

Exactly my thoughts. Couldn't wait to get on the plane home. No thought of defiance for Australia to earn the wicket. Basically played like the last two overs of a t20. Desperate stuff.

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The County championship is a weak competition that is failing to produce Test quality players. That fact flawed batsmen such as Sibley, Hameed, Burns and Crawley score heavily in it is an illustration how poor it is. 

Once these players get central contracts they are hardly playing any county championship cricket.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The county championship is played on poor pitches, poor weather and conditions suits medium pacey swing bowlers. 

Every players has different technique and there is no perfect correct technique. You are micro management it. 

Also why are bring in overseas coaches the right idea and what makes them so much better than own coaches or any understand of county game? 

Also Jim, are they any players England didn't pick for the Ashes you would have done? Also a simple question Tell me your starting 11 for the next test match in the West Indies? 

21 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Once these players get central contracts they are hardly playing any county championship cricket.

Yet central contracts were seen as a good thing that made the England team stronger. Part of the problem maybe that the players don't play enough cricket - even if it's in a weak competition.

Good old Fred Trueman (bless him) always said modern bowlers for instance were bowling less than half the number of overs he did when he was a player. 

26 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Exactly my thoughts. Couldn't wait to get on the plane home. No thought of defiance for Australia to earn the wicket. Basically played like the last two overs of a t20. Desperate stuff.

I was watching on Fox AUS and Michael Vaughan was of the same opinion that they were "throwing the towel in'' and not for the first time in the Series.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also why are bring in overseas coaches the right idea and what makes them so much better than own coaches or any understand of county game? 

I can’t speak for Jim, but for me nationality doesn’t matter as long as they are the best.

Explain to us why it does matter that they’re British - even if they are inferior coaches?

This drubbing is far worse than the previous two drubbing . There was a stat that England runs per wicket on an ashes tour was the lowest since the 1890,s. A complete rethink is required with the stopping of the marginalisation of county championship cricket with more games in the height of the summer .

20 minutes ago, den said:

Who’s going to be brave enough to deny the much needed cash earned by the counties for the crowd attracting short game, in order to prioritise county cricket played in empty grounds in peak season?

Hows that going to happen?

Domestic cricket is now poorly attended in most Test playing countries yet Aus, India and others consistently produce Test quality players, especially in the top order.

They also have the short order game in abundance.

England players seems unable to adapt their game to the longer form of the game.

Derek Pringle said during the last Test tongue in cheek that England need a "patience coach" - which just about sums it up. England's idea of batting is to attack almost every ball instead of being selective in their shots. They seem to want to dominate the bowlers and if they aren't, they go on the attack and get out.

And very few have any idea about where their off stump is - I lost count of the number of times England batsmen got out caught behind to balls they could have left alone.

Then there's the likes of Hameed who go into their shells and concentrate so much on defence they become strokeless and don't score. There has to be a happy medium of sound defence (which many of our lot don't have), knowing when to leave a delivery and knowing when to attack. 

My number one rule when I was playing and which I kept telling myself all the time when I was at the crease was "play the ball under your nose", which meant in effect you were watching the ball all the way on to the bat and playing the ball late.

If you watch many of the England dismissals in this series they were pushing forward at the ball away from their body, which makes you vulnerable to swing and seam and sooner or later results in you getting an edge. These are all basics and easily taught and understood, or in my case learnt from just playing the game. 

You do despair watching England's players. Is Geoff Boycott still around to teach the likes of Crawley and Pope how to bat properly?  Now there's a man who was born for Test cricket

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

England players seems unable to adapt their game to the longer form of the game.

Derek Pringle said during the last Test tongue in cheek that England need a "patience coach" - which just about sums it up. England's idea of batting is to attack almost every ball instead of being selective in their shots. They seem to want to dominate the bowlers and if they aren't, they go on the attack and get out.

And very few have any idea about where their off stump is - I lost count of the number of times England batsmen got out caught behind to balls they could have left alone.

Then there's the likes of Hameed who go into their shells and concentrate so much on defence they become strokeless and don't score. There has to be a happy medium of sound defence (which many of our lot don't have), knowing when to leave a delivery and knowing when to attack. 

My number one rule when I was playing and which I kept telling myself all the time when I was at the crease was "play the ball under your nose", which meant in effect you were watching the ball all the way on to the bat and playing the ball late.

If you watch many of the England dismissals in this series they were pushing forward at the ball away from their body, which makes you vulnerable to swing and seam and sooner or later results in you getting an edge. These are all basics and easily taught and understood, or in my case learnt from just playing the game. 

You do despair watching England's players. Is Geoff Boycott still around to teach the likes of Crawley and Pope how to bat properly?  Now there's a man who was born for Test cricket

Also Jim, are they any players England didn't pick for the Ashes you would have done? Also a simple question Tell me your starting 11 for the next test match in the West Indies? 

4 hours ago, den said:

I can’t speak for Jim, but for me nationality doesn’t matter as long as they are the best.

Explain to us why it does matter that they’re British - even if they are inferior coaches?

Why is the answer every time go overseas for a coach who knows nothing about our county players and game and ignore our coaches who know the county players and game. 

Yes Duncan Fletcher was from Zimbabwe but was coaching at Glamorgan and knew the county game and the players playing in it. Could also pick players with the technique for test game like Michael Vaughan, Marcus Trescothick, etc.  

Also why do England not have the require standard of being test head coach like Alec Stewart or Mark Robinson?

Also do Australia or New Zealand appoint overseas coach? 

3 hours ago, den said:

Who’s going to be brave enough to deny the much needed cash earned by the counties for the crowd attracting short game, in order to prioritise county cricket played in empty grounds in peak season?

Hows that going to happen?

Test Cricket bring in the real cash in the English game and a successful test team means more money for the county game. 

Play twenty20 games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday with 4 day county championship games played starting on Monday and Tuesday. 

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Getting rid immediately of The Hundred would-be a good start.

I never watched it myself. Not really big fan of twnety20 cricket even unless England or Lancashire are playing. 

I do not know enough about the County game players to suggest who can play for England 

here are 3 opening batters of which 2 of them, I would taking on the West Indies in James Bracey, Alex Lees and Rob Yates. With one of them starting the first test as opening partner with Zak Crawley. 

Ben Foakes would be my Wicketkeeper batsman at 7. 

I would take Sadiq Mahmood and Matt Parkinson aswell in my squad for that tour. 

So a touring party for the West Indies test tour

Root(C), Stokes(VC), Crawley, Lees, Yates, Pope, Bairstow, Billings(WK), Foakes(WK), Broad, Robinson, Wood, Mahmood, Woakes, Anderson, Parkinson, Leach

Domestic cricket is now poorly attended in most Test playing countries yet Aus, India and others consistently produce Test quality players, especially in the top order.

They also have the short order game in abundance.

Cos they played on much better all round cricket pitches where you need to play well to score runs, offer bowlers pace and bounce then spin later on day 3, 4 and 5

Edited by chaddyrovers

@jim mk2 @den @matt83 @AllRoverAsia

@chaddyrovers @Tyrone Shoelaces  @47er

Gents, who would you bring into the England setup to change our red ball fortunes?

I'll be honest, I haven't got a clue, I think the games broken right now in this country, we could be a long time in the Ashes wilderness unless something changes and quick.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why is the answer every time go overseas for a coach who knows nothing about our county players and game and ignore our coaches who know the county players and game. 

Yes Duncan Fletcher was from Zimbabwe but was coaching at Glamorgan and knew the county game and the players playing in it. Could also pick players with the technique for test game like Michael Vaughan, Marcus Trescothick, etc.  

Also why do England not have the require standard of being test head coach like Alec Stewart or Mark Robinson?

Also do Australia or New Zealand appoint overseas coach? 

Test Cricket bring in the real cash in the English game and a successful test team means more money for the county game. 

Play twenty20 games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday with 4 day county championship games played starting on Monday and Tuesday. 

I never watched it myself. Not really big fan of twnety20 cricket even unless England or Lancashire are playing. 

here are 3 opening batters of which 2 of them, I would taking on the West Indies in James Bracey, Alex Lees and Rob Yates. With one of them starting the first test as opening partner with Zak Crawley. 

Ben Foakes would be my Wicketkeeper batsman at 7. 

I would take Sadiq Mahmood and Matt Parkinson aswell in my squad for that tour. 

So a touring party for the West Indies test tour

Root(C), Stokes(VC), Crawley, Lees, Yates, Pope, Bairstow, Bairstow, Billings(WK), Foakes(WK), Broad, Robinson, Wood, Mahmood, Woakes, Anderson, Parkinson, Leach

Cos they played on much better all round cricket pitches where you need to play well to score runs, offer bowlers pace and bounce then spin later on day 3, 4 and 5

Two Bairstow’s in there Chaddy. I could say he’s so good they named him twice but unfortunately he isn’t.

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gents, who would you bring into the England setup to change our red ball fortunes?

I'll be honest, I haven't got a clue, I think the games broken right now in this country, we could be a long time in the Ashes wilderness unless something changes and quick.

It’s hard to know where to start. I agree with you that the game is broken in the UK. We haven’t the batsmen to play test cricket and we don’t produce spin bowlers any more.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gav said:

are we talking coaching setup Gav or players into the test squad/starting line up? 

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We haven’t the batsmen to play test cricket and we don’t produce spin bowlers any more.

cos the county 4 day game is played on poor wickets that suits medium pacey swing bowlers and over in a couple of days. plus when these games take place that spinners don't play much part in the game

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I would be interested in getting Atherton and Vaughan involved. What is Strauss up to in cricket? I appreciate he has other domestic and important commitments but was a great admin guy who knows the game. Sir Alastair must be a PoI.

I have nowt against overseas coaches or admin people either.

Play County cricket in the real summer and not late autumn/early winter by getting rid of the Hundred, keep T20 to satisfy thrill seekers.

OH! and get Sir Geoffrey to give the current lot a talking too prior to the March WI vacation.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1