BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Michael Atherton believes wholesale changes need to be made to the setup of county cricket in the wake of England 's Ashes humiliation.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12079/12505181/ashes-panel-england-batting-woes-merit-county-game-overhaul-says-michael-atherton

Edited by chaddyrovers

Mike Atherton's comments has been similar to what I was saying on here that the structure of the county championship game is one of major problem and until that is fixed we will continue to have batting problems. 

If people think firing Sliverwood and Root are the main problem then you are wrong. Its start with the structure of the county game, quality of pitches and when the 4 day game are being played

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mike Atherton's comments has been similar to what I was saying on here that the structure of the county championship game is one of major problem and until that is fixed we will continue to have batting problems. 

If people think firing Sliverwood and Root are the main problem then you are wrong. Its start with the structure of the county game, quality of pitches and when the 4 day game are being played

You don't have to have been Einstein to work out the County game needs an overhaul but until the other forms of the game bring counties much more money than one man and his dog watching the County Championship what incentive do the county clubs have to vote to change things.

• Like 1

After his management of the first 3 Tests, this has to be good news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59823055

Is the malaise in English cricket the system or the players?

My take is that the best players can play adapt to Test or one-day cricket and that England's problems are all down to poor coaching at county and national level - in other words, the coaches aren't good enough

I'd clear the lot out, from Silverwood, Farbrace, Trescothick etc down and bring in outsiders from abroad 

On 28/12/2021 at 14:03, chaddyrovers said:

so you would get rid of Thorpe, Trescothck, Collingwood and Foster than aswell as Sliverwood? And replace by Who? Gary Kirsten, Andy Flower?

I have said the problem is the County Championship game and quality of the players, pitches and what the ECB wants to priority is which isn't the 4 day first class game. 

I agree there are far bigger problems than just removing Silverwood as coach/selector and root as captain, although I think both need to removed.

The whole cricket pyramid is rotten to the core. From the ECB to coaches to the way groundsmen prepare pitches. But Silverwood and root cannot escape their failures over the past 12 months. Lost 9 test matches in the calendar year - worst ever. Extras is England’s third highest run scorer of 2021. The selections in this series along have been a shambles. Even going back to the day nighter in Ahmedabad where played 4 seamers and all wickets went to spin. Arguably the most damaging indictment of where they are is having our openers batting on one leg in the mcg nets. It’s just barmy. 

Ashley Giles decided in his infinite wisdom to get rid of head selectors, last of whom was Ed smith (who I didn’t personally like) putting it all on Silverwood/Root. That’s a big call and as it’s clearly failed he cannot survive either. 

No easy solutions. But personally I’d appoint Mike atherton in the Ashley Giles role. He has some good sounding ideas about more condensed cc played at appropriate times of year on proper pitches. Clearly an intelligent bloke who I think would be brilliant as an administrator. Without his paymasters at sky demanding an all out propaganda campaign of McCricket would he prioritise red ball cricket. I suspect he might.

Coach - fairly easy should have been Gary Kirsten or as a more out there appointment Jason Gillespie but never Silverwood.

Captain - is a tricky one currently only 2 players pretty much guaranteed to start Root and Stokes. That being the case it’s stokes who did well vs Pakistan but history isn’t on the side of all rounders doing well. Personally I think they could do worse than asking Morgan to do it in the Mike Brearley role. Even if he doesn’t get runs it’s not like he’ll be replacing someone who is but at least will have a proper captain.

All in all English cricket is in a real mess, not because of this series, but a sustained level of failure. The worst thing is it’s mostly of our (ECBs) own making. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I agree there are far bigger problems than just removing Silverwood as coach/selector and root as captain, although I think both need to removed.

The whole cricket pyramid is rotten to the core. From the ECB to coaches to the way groundsmen prepare pitches. But Silverwood and root cannot escape their failures over the past 12 months. Lost 9 test matches in the calendar year - worst ever. Extras is England’s third highest run scorer of 2021. The selections in this series along have been a shambles. Even going back to the day nighter in Ahmedabad where played 4 seamers and all wickets went to spin. Arguably the most damaging indictment of where they are is having our openers batting on one leg in the mcg nets. It’s just barmy. 

Ashley Giles decided in his infinite wisdom to get rid of head selectors, last of whom was Ed smith (who I didn’t personally like) putting it all on Silverwood/Root. That’s a big call and as it’s clearly failed he cannot survive either. 

No easy solutions. But personally I’d appoint Mike atherton in the Ashley Giles role. He has some good sounding ideas about more condensed cc played at appropriate times of year on proper pitches. Clearly an intelligent bloke who I think would be brilliant as an administrator. Without his paymasters at sky demanding an all out propaganda campaign of McCricket would he prioritise red ball cricket. I suspect he might.

Coach - fairly easy should have been Gary Kirsten or as a more out there appointment Jason Gillespie but never Silverwood.

Captain - is a tricky one currently only 2 players pretty much guaranteed to start Root and Stokes. That being the case it’s stokes who did well vs Pakistan but history isn’t on the side of all rounders doing well. Personally I think they could do worse than asking Morgan to do it in the Mike Brearley role. Even if he doesn’t get runs it’s not like he’ll be replacing someone who is but at least will have a proper captain.

All in all English cricket is in a real mess, not because of this series, but a sustained level of failure. The worst thing is it’s mostly of our (ECBs) own making. 

Some interesting thoughts there. Martin Kettle has an article in a similar vein in today’s “ Guardian “.

On 30/12/2021 at 10:42, matt83 said:

I suspect you’ve been watching Atherton Nasser Keys discussing English cricket on sky?

Anyway, you mention Michael Atherton. He IS a very intelligent man. Here’s a times column he’s written in the Times. It’s very interesting if you’re a cricket fan. Like you say, the ECB should use him in some capacity.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f204e814-6969-11ec-98df-0bb0132add1b?shareToken=d84504dfc1d23d2eb6e3f1ff36b0f0f1#

Edited by den

I agree there is further problems then Root and Sliverwood. I read an article saying that Root wants changes to the county 4 day championship format and more emphases on them from next summer and beyond. Yes I would get rid of Sliverwood. I would keep Root as Test captain. 

The whole cricket pyramid is rotten to the core. From the ECB to coaches to the way groundsmen prepare pitches.

The 4 day county cricket is played at the wrong time of the year and the game isn't produce quality players, pitches or the correct test for these players. We still haven't produce quality spinner since Swann. 

No easy solutions. But personally I’d appoint Mike atherton in the Ashley Giles role. He has some good sounding ideas about more condensed cc played at appropriate times of year on proper pitches. Clearly an intelligent bloke who I think would be brilliant as an administrator.

I agree that Giles need replacing and still don't think he was the right replacement for Strauss and your suggestion of Atherton is very good suggestion and one I would be in favour or even in the role of National selector as Atherton has seen plenty of County cricket and knows the game inside out. 

Giles was wrong for getting rid of National selector role and given Sliverwood all control which is too much of big role for one person. 

I would go for Alec Stewart as test coach and Paul Farbrace or Paul Collingwood as one day/20twenty coach. 

Stewart knows the coaching and county game inside out and I think he would been appoint had he not pull out for Family reasons. 

I would also go down the 2 coaches route now due to the amount of cricket out there. Far too much for one main coach now

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anyone watched the Cricket documentary on Stanford and the Man who bought Cricket on Sky Documentaries channel? 

I have it downloaded.

I recall at the time, English players and commentators falling over themselves to be involved, money money money, but something didn’t seem right. Stanford was in the crowd wrapped around players wives and girlfriends, it was all very bizarre. 

30 minutes ago, Gav said:

I have it downloaded.

I recall at the time, English players and commentators falling over themselves to be involved, money money money, but something didn’t seem right. Stanford was in the crowd wrapped around players wives and girlfriends, it was all very bizarre. 

Just watched the first episode this afternoon. Very interesting