BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Battersby Interview

Kamy100

Oh yes wondered what the title of the thread was.

I think it pretty much sums up where we all are with this mess.He has a good grasp of everything from what i can see.Just a shame neither them or anybody else can get anywhere with these morons.

Whats your take B&WA ???

Whilst Ian's intentions are good I cannot see a way forward for the club other than administration and shedding ourselves of the indian tumours. How we then fund the club with it's world class facilites is beyond me.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pity the +1 / -1 system isn't still in use, I'm sure you'd get plenty of +1. Looking back we were obviously not talking to the right people when talking to Venkys ;) and it wasn't just some of the fans who didn't want us to go, an ex-Director allegedly did all he could to prevent us from going as well although for altogether different reasons I imagine.

Still, it is all history and unfortunately history cannot be rewritten...the free holiday jibe gets a bit tiresome after a while though (and that's not just aimed at you, just the usual suspects who like to lob it at us every now and again).

I think it's sad that:

1.some people clearly have an issue with the 9 that went to Pune, I would suggest born out of jealousy. Who wouldn't have been up for an all expenses paid trip to India?

2. I'm certain that all that went put their point of view forward when given the opportunity and have subsequently been vindicated in their concerns. They certainly still hold the club dear to their hearts and it's deplorable that certain individuals still think otherwise.

I know the Ian's were treated with similar contempt but as Ian Battersby touched on in the interview, is it not now the time to regroup and refocus as fans?

The clock really must be ticking!

I think it's sad that:

1.some people clearly have an issue with the 9 that went to Pune, I would suggest born out of jealousy. Who wouldn't have been up for an all expenses paid trip to India?

2. I'm certain that all that went put their point of view forward when given the opportunity and have subsequently been vindicated in their concerns. They certainly still hold the club dear to their hearts and it's deplorable that certain individuals still think otherwise.

I know the Ian's were treated with similar contempt but as Ian Battersby touched on in the interview, is it not now the time to regroup and refocus as fans?

The clock really must be ticking

Agreed...good post

Was it common sense that southampton would be relegated after sacking atkins.

Did 'people who know football' think they'd be relegated after hiring the unknown johnny foreigner in Pochettino.

Where they doomed for anyone who had half a brain?

Or did the mystic megs know they would flourish and kick on to better things?

Not sure what point you are making here.

Kean could have been the right man and sacking Sam might have been a good idea, and anyone who thought differently at the time just made a lucky guess?

From what I remember the Pune 9 came back saying they had been reassured by the visit and that they were sure Venky's would prove to be good owners. I hope they all have wonderful memories of the trip and their part in the club's downfall.

Not sure what point you are making here.

Kean could have been the right man and sacking Sam might have been a good idea, and anyone who thought differently at the time just made a lucky guess?

Not at all, Im saying Sam wasnt the only man who could have kept us up. Sacking him didnt need to be a bad thing, however what followed made it a bad thing.

My point is I didnt think sacking Sam was a mistake. Hiring Kean was the mistake along with everything else that followed

Not at all, Im saying Sam wasnt the only man who could have kept us up. Sacking him didnt need to be a bad thing, however what followed made it a bad thing.

My point is I didnt think sacking Sam was a mistake. Hiring Kean was the mistake along with everything else that followed

Nobody ever said that Sam was the only manager who could have kept Rovers up. The point is that he was doing fine so what was the point of sacking him and taking the risk of employing a new manager. If it was his style they did not like it would have been more prudent to wait a while instead of jumping in with both feet.

I think it's sad that:

The clock really must be ticking!

I certainly wasn't jealous, and neither were many, many others, so I think your first point is untrue.

On your second point, I'm sure you are right (for the majority).

However, what did them no favours on the mb (when you consider that's where we are now debating the matter) was the way it was kept a secret until it was (unfortunately) leaked out via other sources. This made the meeting seem clandestine - even though Glenn did say "we were just about to tell you", it put him and the other 8 in a difficult position.

I also seem to recall that one of the nine was supposed to make a pointed statement but bottled out as he didn't want to seem disrespectful to their hosts. At that moment, Venkys hospitality did exactly what it was designed to do. Shut the fans up.

The Pune 9 are also synonymous with the FF and their failure to put out a strong statement about events at the time also stood out.

The justification seemed (seems) to be that 'a seat at the table is better than none' but given the lack of actual progress in terms of communications between Venkys and the fans, without being 'filtered' by Kean, Agnew, Singh, Shaw then, if keeping their remit to hot pies (I'm being facetious but you take my point) and not to cross that line, then they were the wrong people to go to Pune.

IMHO, and I guess it's not really rocket science, they were originally chosen for Venkys benefit and not the fans.

(I'm just off to get an LP to stick down my trousers, brb).

• Backroom

From what I remember the Pune 9 came back saying they had been reassured by the visit and that they were sure Venky's would prove to be good owners. I hope they all have wonderful memories of the trip and their part in the club's downfall.

Don't worry Jim I sleep soundly knowing I tried to help in that way and then when it was clear it was a dead end I changed tact and (albeit belatedly) walked beside people trying to get the owners out of the club.

Nobody ever said that Sam was the only manager who could have kept Rovers up. The point is that he was doing fine so what was the point of sacking him and taking the risk of employing a new manager. If it was his style they did not like it would have been more prudent to wait a while instead of jumping in with both feet.

Quite possibly, but most new owners sack the manager and bring their 'own guy' in. Its fairly common, so it wasnt much of a suprise when it happened.

Dont know enough rovers fans to get a proper feel on how many though about Sam, but as I said in previous posts I got the impression from the small section of fans I talked rovers with that they werent upset by Sams sacking.

His style of play had a good few struggling. So he went and the opportunity was there to go another way and possibly onto bigger and better things.

But what followed was a JA inspired nightmare

There's an old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and it was never more true than when applied to the people running our club when Venky's took over. The hoary old chestnut of Steve Kean was the mistake, not the the sacking of Sam Allardyce, should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

such comments reflect more on you than any of the fans who went to India with the best of intentions, to tell the owners were they had problems and how they could rectify those problems - we get a bit of p!ss taking "enjoy your holiday" which is fair enough, but to say we played our part in the downfall of the club is bang out of order and totally incorrect.

such comments reflect more on you than any of the fans who went to India with the best of intentions, to tell the owners were they had problems and how they could rectify those problems - we get a bit of p!ss taking "enjoy your holiday" which is fair enough, but to say we played our part in the downfall of the club is bang out of order and totally incorrect.

You defending the trip says much about you. I wouldn't go so far as to call you a patsy of the owners, but many people would.

Jim that's not the point I made as you well know, hind sight's a wonderful thing is it not?

Whilst sceptical, in the Autumn of 2010, I was still cautiously optimistic that the future under Venkys could be positive. Was I alone when it appeared they wished to listen to eminent and influential supporter's views on the club and saw that as an enormous positive? At the time I was reassured, naively perhaps (no, definitely)

The fact that all of that fell on deaf ears and for whatever reason the owners decided to take advice as offered by others as gospel, really buggers belief. It's no fault whatsoever of those that went to Pune.

They did their best for the Club they love, as do BRAG! Rovers Trust, the 2 Ian's et al. It's inevitable that opinions differ but surely now's the time to bin all that and get down to Ewood in numbers.

Whilst we all contemplate our collective navels, I fear without doing so, we'll have nothing to debate other than the potential of LU in the future, and even then.....

As far as the Pune9 go it seems they were conned like everyone else. If they looked some of the Venkys and their reps in the eye and believed what they said then it just shows what good bullkeaners these business people are. Some remained sceptical, some were flattered and had the wool pulled over their eyes. They played no part in the clubs downfall and to suggest so is mad.

• Backroom

I wouldn't worry Andy that phrase has been banded around with no real meaning the last couple of years.

If you believe all you read:

The forum played a part in the clubs downfall

Those protesting (bovine tremblers was it?) played a part in the clubs downfall.

Those still attending played a part in the clubs downfall.

However, what did them no favours on the mb (when you consider that's where we are now debating the matter) was the way it was kept a secret until it was (unfortunately) leaked out via other sources. This made the meeting seem clandestine - even though Glenn did say "we were just about to tell you", it put him and the other 8 in a difficult position.

We were asked to keep it under our hats as we weren't 100% going until about a week before as an ex-Director allegedly was doing his upmost to prevent us from going - I'm not asking, or expecting sympathy, however to try and get a week off work at short notice (in my case leave my business) isn't the easiest thing to do, never mind getting grief off the misses, leaving the kids, sorting out visas and vaccinations, etc for a week to travel half way round the world - without all the internal politics going on at the club.

Not a very well put together response from me (busy trying to sort out a payroll client), but there were reasons why it wasn't shouted about from the rooftop well in advance. What I will say is that something SHOULD have been put out in the public domain after we came back - and of the things I could have affected about the trip, that was the biggest mistake IMO.

You defending the trip says much about you. I wouldn't go so far as to call you a patsy of the owners, but many people would.

At the time I thought it was the right thing - if somebody has a go, of course I'm going to defend myself. If somebody wants to call me a patsy that's their choice - unless I know them personally, its water off a ducks back.

Why was the ex-director against it?

The reason given was that allegedly the ex-Director felt it wasn't a good idea for Venkys to hear what the fans really thought, and despite what some people would have you believe on here, we weren't going out there to touch our toes, more to tell them were they were going wrong, how they could resolve the problems and tell them what the fans really thought of Kean.

• Backroom

Again someone was 'allegedly' seen scribbling out notes that a newspaper reporter made after I gave an interview at the Pune stadium about the feeling towards our manager. All that made it to press was some pigeon English made up quotes attributed to Glenn.

We were asked to keep it under our hats as we weren't 100% going until about a week before as an ex-Director allegedly was doing his upmost to prevent us from going - I'm not asking, or expecting sympathy, however to try and get a week off work at short notice (in my case leave my business) isn't the easiest thing to do, never mind getting grief off the misses, leaving the kids, sorting out visas and vaccinations, etc for a week to travel half way round the world - without all the internal politics going on at the club.

Not a very well put together response from me (busy trying to sort out a payroll client), but there were reasons why it wasn't shouted about from the rooftop well in advance. What I will say is that something SHOULD have been put out in the public domain after we came back - and of the things I could have affected about the trip, that was the biggest mistake IMO.

At the time I thought it was the right thing - if somebody has a go, of course I'm going to defend myself. If somebody wants to call me a patsy that's their choice - unless I know them personally, its water off a ducks back.

Fernhurst, don't feel a need to justify yourself or the others, it should be patently obvious to all that you went to Pune to voice your concerns and aspirations for the club to the new owners as fans, despite whatever the selection process was.

It wasn't and isn't your fault that what was said wasn't headed.

Who would have done things differently?

Nah, we're not going to India, you get your arses over to Blackburn and us fans will talk to you from 'the moral high ground'.

Get real, it was never going to happen, nor should it. Misguided arrogance to the extreme IMO.

Anyway, back on thread, I'm confident the Ian's would be able to come up with a sustainable financial solution for a mid table Championship club with gates of 15,000, who had aspirations of regaining Premier League status but without a legacy of lunatics and charletons.

Work in progress I guess!

There's an old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and it was never more true than when applied to the people running our club when Venky's took over. The hoary old chestnut of Steve Kean was the mistake, not the the sacking of Sam Allardyce, should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

The removal of Allardyce precipitated our demise but what would the owners have done when he sodded off to Qatar or West Ham? Your man crush would have slung his hook sooner or later, that was obvious.

The Pune 9 came under a lot of stick before they went to Pune and even more when they returned. All of it totally unjust imo.

Ian Battersby also received abuse and allegations when he went over - friend & in the pocket of JA - was one pathetic allegation at the time.

I believed at the time that it was right for the Pune 9 as well as Ian Battersby to go over there. I still believe they were right to do so.

After their motive and intentions were completely just. But the abuse they received at the time and which continues today is totally wrong.

The fact that the visits produced no results, was not down to any of them. Venkys and those who were advising venkys at the time were, imo to blame.

Be interesting to know if the same invite came today to go to Pune, who would go.

The Pune 9 came under a lot of stick before they went to Pune and even more when they returned. All of it totally unjust imo.

Ian Battersby also received abuse and allegations when he went over - friend & in the pocket of JA - was one pathetic allegation at the time.

I believed at the time that it was right for the Pune 9 as well as Ian Battersby to go over there. I still believe they were right to do so.

After their motive and intentions were completely just. But the abuse they received at the time and which continues today is totally wrong.

The fact that the visits produced no results, was not down to any of them. Venkys and those who were advising venkys at the time were, imo to blame.

Be interesting to know if the same invite came today to go to Pune, who would go.

If your a fan and you care about rovers you couldn't not go, even now.

No matter how remote the chance your trip achieves anything, you still have to try

Archived