BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Froch / Groves

I'll be watching and hope Froch knocks him out. Such a bizzare fight as when announced almost everyone said Froch would win easy, but as the build ups gone on you can help but think groves has a chance with all the talk he's generated.

That said I think it will be nip and tuck for 5 or 6 rounds, then a froch knockout in rounds 7 or 8

Always been a big fan of Froch and if the Cobra of the past 2 years turns up then he'll bust Groves up within 7 rounds. Having said that he's made heavy work of some fights in the past so if he's not on form it could be an awkward night as Groves is a quick in and out try not to get hit kind of guy. Also a cocky little turd who's shown Steve Kean levels of delusion and arrogance recently.

For whats is worth Groves won the verbals in both build up and the press conference. Not sure that means anything once the bell rings, but fair play to Groves he rattled Froch

I just watched the head to head bit of the presser. Froch is clearly up for it but to be honest Groves looked like he was bricking it. Started mouthing as it was finished and he was walking away, classic sign of a gobby git. If he pulls it off i'll doff my cap to him but i hope Froch busts him up.

All logic suggests Froch by stoppage. I have my doubts about Groves' ability to take a punch, and I don't think he has the power to put Froch away. Froch struggles the most with quick, slick fighters - Andre Dirrell was a nightmare for him. Groves has decent footwork but isn't rapid.

Really strange buildup to this. I'd previously always found Groves quite humble and someone who comes across well. Certainly in the buildup to the DeGale fight he showed a lot of class. But I don't think he's winning himself any fans right now.

I think that it's feasible Adam Booth (back when he trained Groves) decided that a narky Froch doesn't perform as well as a calm Froch and put him up to this. Or Groves sees this as potentially his biggest ever payday and wants to make a name for himself to increase the PPV buyrate. Or perhaps he simply believes his own hype?

Just watched the weigh in. For the 1st time I though Groves looked a bit worried and had lost his sense off confidence he's been displaying.

Changing my mind now, I think froch wins this early as they go real toe to toe from the off. Froch in rd 3 or 4

All logic suggests Froch by stoppage. I have my doubts about Groves' ability to take a punch, and I don't think he has the power to put Froch away. Froch struggles the most with quick, slick fighters - Andre Dirrell was a nightmare for him. Groves has decent footwork but isn't rapid.

Really strange buildup to this. I'd previously always found Groves quite humble and someone who comes across well. Certainly in the buildup to the DeGale fight he showed a lot of class. But I don't think he's winning himself any fans right now.

I think that it's feasible Adam Booth (back when he trained Groves) decided that a narky Froch doesn't perform as well as a calm Froch and put him up to this. Or Groves sees this as potentially his biggest ever payday and wants to make a name for himself to increase the PPV buyrate. Or perhaps he simply believes his own hype?

Yeah ive followed Groves career a while and i rate him and used to think he was a likeable guy. I saw signs of it around the Degale fight but he's got a big gob as well so i thought nowt of it. He also said he didn't think much of Kessler after sparring with him. From the go in this fight he's just acted like a cocky git, he clearly has a problem with Froch and he obviously thinks he's better than everyone else despite proving nothing yet. Past couple of days he's looked like a lost kid . Hope he gets schooled.

You look at the struggles top talents like andre ward having selling fights and getting good tv deals and you realise todays boxing is all about wether you can sell tickets. If Groves loses this he goes from likeable top up and coming talent, to cocky little kean who nobody now likes and a defeat on his record. He could really struggle to recover if/when he loses this fight

Hate boxing so don't really care but if push comes to shove I'd like to see Froch win. No reason, know nowt about it, but I've always quite liked the sound of him whenever I've heard him interviewed. Bit of an oldfahioned boxer in that he has a chip on his shoulder and doesn't seem to feel he's been supported by the boxing establishment so wants to stick it to them

You look at the struggles top talents like andre ward having selling fights and getting good tv deals and you realise todays boxing is all about wether you can sell tickets. If Groves loses this he goes from likeable top up and coming talent, to cocky little kean who nobody now likes and a defeat on his record. He could really struggle to recover if/when he loses this fight

Interesting example of Ward there and I agree completely. There's a sports merchandise shop in Vegas that does a lot of autographed gloves. I picked up a signed Ward glove for about $150 - one of the cheapest in the shop. Incredible given he's arguably the second best p4p boxer in the world. But it just speaks volumes about how talent and ability is not necessarily what puts bums on seats in the sport.

Disgusting decision to stop it Groves was in in control, what was equally disgusting was the fact that only two judges had Groves 1 round ahead. If that was a stoppage then the ref should have pulled Froch out twice or more in the first few rounds. On tonight's evidence and last weeks evidence Froch isn't even on the same planet as S.O.G. This could well be the end of Froch just like it was for Lennox Lewis when he was getting comfortably beaten by Vitali until the ref ridiculously stopped it.

Really didnt want groves to win, but that was a pathetic stoppage and ruined a great fight. Crazy thing is groves will prob come out of this better for the farce of a stop than had he actually won. The rematch will be huge and both will earn a huge payday.

That said though groves is a prat, he should have kept boxing and he would have won that fight easily. His ego cost him trying to go toe to toe

I'm gutted for Groves. Can't say I had any preference for either fighter, but Groves showed some real mettle tonight. I know its very difficult for referees because the consequences are so severe of getting it wrong. But I am getting sick of good fights getting ruined by the officials. Groves deserved the chance to carry on. Froch was afforded leniency from the ref when Groves had him shaken because he is Carl Froch the champion.

TKO means technical knock out, thought it was harsh but the wife counted it to nine straight hits from froch.

He did land consecutive very clean powerfull shots. I think groves would definatley have gone down, but you have to give him the count and see how he is then.

TBH the judges score cards where more controlversial than the stoppage. 2 of them had groves ahead by only 1 round which is madness

• Backroom

Not a boxing fan but good call this

Another split second and Groves may have been flat on his face and everyone would be hailing Froch and not talkin about the ref. When your taking a stream of unanswered blows and not defending yourself then it gets stopped. Although should maybe be a standing count first, let the ref look into his eyes. Have to say what a great fighter Groves could be. Very disapointed in Froch interview, he battled like a true champion as he always does but he doesn't speak like one. Hopefully when he calms down he will. No point booing him though, typical cluless fickle plastic Manc fans tho, swap their allegiance mid fight. If i was Froch i'd call it a day now, nothing else to prove and a rematch he prob gets ko'd in 4.

Archived