BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] On a more positive note

Reading his interview shows the contrast of players we have - from this kid who is delighted to be here, right through to mercenaries like Leon Best who couldn't care less about the club.

I am really pleased that the club are targeting young players who will be excited to wear the shirt.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/rovers-sign-stanley-starlet-1232883.aspx

So we had him in our academy released him and are now signing him for a supposed potential 500k.

I wish the kid well, once he sorts out his eye lashes, but if being honest I'd rather the money had gone to the first team for someone who can contribute right now.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/rovers-sign-stanley-starlet-1232883.aspx

So we had him in our academy released him and are now signing him for a supposed potential 500k.

I wish the kid well, once he sorts out his eye lashes, but if being honest I'd rather the money had gone to the first team for someone who can contribute right now.

Bowyer righting the wrongs of the past?

I'd like him to right the wrongs in the first team before we start spending for the future.

I am a little baffled why we had to negotiate as under the eppp transfer amounts are fixed dependent on how long he's been there.

Maybe we couldn't afford the EPPP rate?

Very worrying though if true! :unsure:

Yes, I know. Hence the worry.

I have heard we don't have a pot to kean in regards money. We turned down one loan as we couldn't afford his 10K a week (could or could not be true). When you consider how long it took to get a striker in, well it just makes me more suspicious that that is true and we have zero cash. So we sign a kid? For a potential 500K (if true). There will be an initial fee and that money could have been used to get in a better standard of loan player as Gestede is kean.

Anyway if we were talking that kind of cash I'd have looked at Rochdales Jamie Allen and Callum Camps and Morecombes AJ mcgowan.

I'd like him to right the wrongs in the first team before we start spending for the future given our finances.

I am a little baffled why we had to negotiate as under the eppp transfer amounts are fixed dependent on how long he's been there.

And if we sat on our hands and this kid foes on to be a star we'd be moaning about not snapping him up.

And if we sat on our hands and this kid foes on to be a star we'd be moaning about not snapping him up.

shouldn't have released him in the first place then.

in what other industry would a company recieve praise for giving something away for free and then buying it back for 500k?

I hope he becomes the next ryan giggs and then we can sell him for 100m. as at our current rates of building up debt that won't be enough to clear it by the time he's ready for our first team. we need premier league now not in 3 years so for me if any money is available for transfers no matter how small 1st team must come first. we have the potential to be where pompey are now in 3 years if we don't go up. it is not a reflection or critique of the lad or even kinder, they are not the ones who ok funds, but for me shows how badly run we are these days.

I wouldn't worry too much there Maji.

Regards the cost, could be we negotiated our own fee rather than rely on the new rules for it because we would need to pay a fairly significant fee up front? Whereas with this one, we are probably paying peanuts up front whilst the rest will come IF he proves a worthwhile acquisition.

Yes, we let him go as a kid, and whilst I don't know what age at, if he already went to Burnley and got released from there he was probably very young. Very hard to judge kids properly at that age. Wouldn't be surprised if he was released just because he seemed too tiny or frail. Or he might have simply not developed his skill sufficiently at that time. And on the plus side, the Dingles made the same cockup! It's a bit frustrating we are having to pay for someone we already had, yes, but it happens a fair bit...imagine how gutted Newcastle must have felt about Shearer!!

Concerning resources to the first team, I agree to an extent. We do need results and now. But for the peanut price we likely paid (up front) I'm doubtful we could have got anybody who would have really put anything into our already bloated squad. Or at least feel we couldn't...if we thought we could get someone to make a difference now I expect we would have already got them. Though it's essential we go up now, we should also consider the future with minor investments like this. If we don't go up, and Venkys are willing to let us avoid administration by paying in, we will have a transfer embargo. Probably every season, for several seasons. That's when we will need our youth players to come through. For the presumably tiny up front cost, I don't think we've anything to complain about really.

fair enough bluebruce. I look at it like this even 20 to 30k could improve our 1st team as that would hire a staff member for a year.

I cant help but think from your reply you know something. you mention small and frail so id like to mention bone girth and wait for your reply.

Found this comment from an Accy fan on the LT:

Well, well, well.
Earlier in the season when he was coming off the bench the lad gave Accrington something we've been sorely missing in recent seasons - width and intent.
He showed adventure and intent and a real desire to run his man, although at the time his selection was probably more down to our injury situation than his undoubted ability as showed with the Rochdale game.
It's one thing to come on when players a tiring and just to play your natural game without fear, but quite another to follow tactical instruction in front of a loud and hostile derby crowd.
After that game he has fallen off the radar somewhat in terms of the first team match day squad as more experienced players have come in and back from injury. Undoubtedly the lad had a bundle of ability but is a move now really the right thing for him?
Remember John Bostock?
Surely its better for him to stay with Accrington for at least another season or two (after all its not impossible that Rovers will be in the same division as Stanley by then) but if he is going to go then it has to be for a six figure fee or else what incentive is there for lower league teams to promote young local talent?

• Backroom

He's on and sounding lively

@OneRovers: 75' Mahoney cuts in from the right to shoot left-footed, Fryer in the @boro goal gets down to save at his near post. 0-2

@OneRovers: 76' Mahoney races towards the are and is tripped, it looks inside but the linesman gives it as a free-kick outside the box. 0-2

shouldn't have released him in the first place then.

in what other industry would a company recieve praise for giving something away for free and then buying it back for 500k?

I hope he becomes the next ryan giggs and then we can sell him for 100m. as at our current rates of building up debt that won't be enough to clear it by the time he's ready for our first team. we need premier league now not in 3 years so for me if any money is available for transfers no matter how small 1st team must come first. we have the potential to be where pompey are now in 3 years if we don't go up. it is not a reflection or critique of the lad or even kinder, they are not the ones who ok funds, but for me shows how badly run we are these days.

Spot on. Another story showing what a shambles we have become.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Lovely to see him get a couple of minutes

Looked slight but fearless

Only 5mins but frankly didn't look out of place in that time. Nice little jink past the full back for a low cross.

Hopefully he'll keep improving and break into the side.

Any home grown talent (even if it is a second chance) is always great. I hope the kid gets a chance in the second half of the season. He looks like he has an attacking intent and that's good news. Nice to see his dream realised tonight. And especially against such a good side.

• Backroom

On a positive note.... was thinking watching the game tonight just how British our team is now which is nice to see.

Its feasible we could field a match team of:

Robbo, Spurr, Hanley, Dann, Henley, Cairney, Lowe, Evans, Dunn, Taylor, Rhodes.

Subs: Cambell, Marshall, Killgallon, Kean, Williamson.

And if I'm not mistaken, every one of those players is British (Williamson with dual citizen I think), and I don't think it's far off our strongest.

Also young connor getting a run out tonight. Great stuff. One big tick in the plus box for the club in my book.

Any home grown talent (even if it is a second chance) is always great. I hope the kid gets a chance in the second half of the season. He looks like he has an attacking intent and that's good news. Nice to see his dream realised tonight. And especially against such a good side.

I can only really see Bowyer playing that card when we are chasing a game, due to Bowyer's preference for a defensive unit. That's an awful lot of pressure to put on a 16/17 year old.

Archived