BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Derby County: 25th January 2014, 3pm KO

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a weather warning for snow in north west! Hope it misses Ewood this afternoon. Thermals might go on! Hope Robbo's ok to play. Please please let Evans be fit soon, if I have to watch Williamson once more I might bring myself to shake my head!!

Think I'd try to fit King in as he looked good when he came on against City. Getting more concerned with RB every game as I feel Kane and now Henley are a tad inexperienced for our immediate requirements and maybe try Lowe there for a while.

Anyway, come on Rovers......make my weekend a good one PLEASE!

I would like to see this team:-

----------------Robinson

Lowe---Hanley---Dann---Spurr

---------------Evans

-Taylor-----Cairney---Marshall

-------Gestede---Rhodes

To be honest I think we are getting lazy through being setup too defensively at the moment and it needs to be rectified. We shouldn't need two sitting midfielders, and it is just encouraging for us to be flat footed and play too deep. It abdicates defensive responsibility for the forward midfielders. And we have quality players for this division on the bench - Dunn, King - so we should not be fearful of working hard and bringing on these fresh legs as the game wears on.

Rather than 4231 we can setup 4132 with the expectation of one player sitting in front of the defence and the other five attackers holding a good shape and aggressively closing down. Frankly I feel the likes of Cairney, Rhodes, Marshall are coming into games not expecting to close down except against the likes of City and the top Championship teams. This is not acceptable. We need to defend as a unit and from the front. We need to outwork teams as we used to when Hughes was in charge. We have a young fit team with some really strong runners like Taylor, Spurr, Marshall and Lowe and we should use this to our advantage.

Plus being overly defensive has a really severe knock on effect as Rhodes is very prone to becoming totally isolated. He needs a partner up top. This necessitates a more attacking approach.

• Backroom

I have a feeling Dunn may start with Rudy on the bench just to give us an option to mix it up later - then again we haven't used subs to change the game often recently

Feeling quite confident today. Rhodes and Robinson are back and I fancy Rhodes to score.

Derby are not a top 6 team imo and are punching above their weight. They had a great run when Schteve took over which has propelled them to a lofty position but I expect them to drop down the league.

I would like to see this team:-

----------------Robinson

Lowe---Hanley---Dann---Spurr

---------------Evans

-Taylor-----Cairney---Marshall

-------Gestede---Rhodes

To be honest I think we are getting lazy through being setup too defensively at the moment and it needs to be rectified. We shouldn't need two sitting midfielders, and it is just encouraging for us to be flat footed and play too deep. It abdicates defensive responsibility for the forward midfielders. And we have quality players for this division on the bench - Dunn, King - so we should not be fearful of working hard and bringing on these fresh legs as the game wears on.

Rather than 4231 we can setup 4132 with the expectation of one player sitting in front of the defence and the other five attackers holding a good shape and aggressively closing down. Frankly I feel the likes of Cairney, Rhodes, Marshall are coming into games not expecting to close down except against the likes of City and the top Championship teams. This is not acceptable. We need to defend as a unit and from the front. We need to outwork teams as we used to when Hughes was in charge. We have a young fit team with some really strong runners like Taylor, Spurr, Marshall and Lowe and we should use this to our advantage.

Plus being overly defensive has a really severe knock on effect as Rhodes is very prone to becoming totally isolated. He needs a partner up top. This necessitates a more attacking approach.

Is Evans supposed to be back today?

@OneRovers: ROVERS: Robinson, Henley, Hanley, Kilgallon, Spurr, Marshall, Lowe, Cairney, Taylor, Gestede, Rhodes.

@OneRovers: Subs: Eastwood, Kane, Dunn, Olsson, Williamson, Morris, Mahoney.

Good starting 11 with Rhodes and Robinson back in the side and Cairney in the centre.

Really poor bench which shows why we need 3-4 players in next week.

Dann is not in the squad. In talks with Norwich apparently so don't think he'll play for us again. King injured which is a blow.

@OneRovers: ROVERS: Robinson, Henley, Hanley, Kilgallon, Spurr, Marshall, Lowe, Cairney, Taylor, Gestede, Rhodes.

Hmmm

--------------Robinson

Henley---Hanley---Kilgallion----Spurr

Taylor---Cairney----Lowe---Marshall

-----------Gestede---Rhodes

Could be Cairney outwide and Taylor central but I think it should be the way above.

Decent team, pleased with how it looks.

ps. If Dann is off that;s a huge blow. Who is captain in his absence? Robinson?

Hmmm

--------------Robinson

Henley---Hanley---Kilgallion----Spurr

Taylor---Cairney----Lowe---Marshall

-----------Gestede---Rhodes

Could be Cairney outwide and Taylor central but I think it should be the way above.

Decent team, pleased with how it looks.

ps. If Dann is off that;s a huge blow. Who is captain in his absence? Robinson?

Hanley is captain.

Archived