BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And who would you replace him with?

Lots of shouts for McCarthy but his clubs was staying down before ours, Billy Davis has disappeared, Freedman, Howe, McDermott all sunk without trace.

Foolish not to look before you leap, so whose it to be then?

McCarthys budget at Ipswich is much smaller than ours though Theno, you arent comparing like for like (not that Im advocating McCarthy).

And who would you replace him with?

Lots of shouts for McCarthy but his clubs was staying down before ours, Billy Davis has disappeared, Freedman, Howe, McDermott all sunk without trace.

Foolish not to look before you leap, so whose it to be then?

I'd agree with all of this apart from the very harsh part saying that Eddie Howe has sunk without a trace Bournemouth are 9th in the league and this is their first back at this level. I think what he has done there this season is a fantastic achievement.

31 points from the first 23 matches and now since the turn of the year it's 36 from 22. Extrapolated over a season thats 62 and 75

So long as there are no significant player changes it's daft continuing this debate with things so much on the up isn't it?

• Backroom

McCarthys budget at Ipswich is much smaller than ours though Theno, you arent comparing like for like (not that Im advocating McCarthy).

What budget? We've made £3M on transfers this season and judging by the players who have left versus those who have come in have also reduced our wage budget considerably.

This mb is going to be hell in the coming days. I expect lots and lots of bickering.

Nah, it won't. We'll wait til the end of the season then discuss Bowyer in a gentlemanly fashion, respect opposing views - just as we always do. Abbey can be chairman just to make sure we stay on topic and also to keep the subtle humour ticking over.

What budget? We've made £3M on transfers this season and judging by the players who have left versus those who have come in have also reduced our wage budget considerably.

Ignoring the £16m outlay on Bowyers 19 additions of course.

The biggest outlay for clubs is wages. Whilst it may be reduced from last season, its significantly higher than most other clubs in the division.

How on earth is this debate still rumbling on? If you can't see the job Bowyer has done in starting to rebuild the CLUB not just the team, then I'm not sure where your looking. Gary Bowyer obviously has a lot of feeling for this club and that in itself is a rarity for a manager or player these days, he has started to get us back on track with young hungry players who want to play for him, just what we were all calling for in the dark days of SK, HB, MA. Back the manager, Back the players and who knows?

• Backroom

The biggest outlay for clubs is wages. Whilst it may be reduced from last season, its significantly higher than most other clubs in the division.

We're higher than most other clubs in the division too. In fact there are only 7 clubs with a better points tally. Worth noting it isn't Bowyer's fault the likes of Etuhu (£35k pw, 4 year contract), Best, DJ etc are still on the books massively inflating our overall wage bill. Shift out the players Gary did not bring to the club and does not want and you'd have a wage bill far more in line with the rest of the division.

Good luck finding somebody to pay Etuhu, Best or DJ the kind of money we're paying them, though...

I do see the difference, but I don't understand why you would think Bowyer would see defending a point as a rational thing to do in the circumstances. The result at sheff weds would logically make you want to be more attack minded in the next game, as you needed the result more after not winning at sheffield. If you where defending a lead, taking a point as you where already sat in a play-off place, down to 10 men, against a really good side etc I'd see some logic, I honestly don't see anything other than attack being a rational option given the circumstances.

(Its nothing personal)

That's why I quoted Bowyer in my last post: “We were trying to score another goal instead of being professional and seeing the game out."

With regards to this, I was thinking he viewed attempts at scoring as a very high risk. I don't know, but that's how I interpreted his statement.

Thinking exactly the same no nay never! we are now 11 games unbeaten, lost just 2 in last 13 away games! you are right he is building a team and a club again only need to look at todays team only 3 or 4 players were regulars last year, stability is the key dont think some rovers fans are seeing that. this should not even be up for debate!

How on earth is this debate still rumbling on? If you can't see the job Bowyer has done in starting to rebuild the CLUB not just the team, then I'm not sure where your looking. Gary Bowyer obviously has a lot of feeling for this club and that in itself is a rarity for a manager or player these days, he has started to get us back on track with young hungry players who want to play for him, just what we were all calling for in the dark days of SK, HB, MA. Back the manager, Back the players and who knows?

I can only speak for myself, but it's mainly one born of frustration at the points we've wasted due to the manager's unduly conservative mindset and dubious selection policy. We're facing an uncertain future financially, about to be hit by FFP, possible transfer embargoes, reduced parachute payments, and need we forget our batsh*t owners. If Venky's are going to cover the debt for another season, remain in the background, and let the manager get on with the job, whilst assuming Bowyer will be wiser for the experience, then yes, but why are people taking all of that for granted?

I can only speak for myself, but it's mainly one born of frustration at the points we've wasted due to the manager's unduly conservative mindset and dubious selection policy. We're facing an uncertain future financially, about to be hit by FFP, possible transfer embargoes, reduced parachute payments, and need we forget our batsh*t owners. If Venky's are going to cover the debt for another season, remain in the background, and let the manager get on with the job, whilst assuming Bowyer will be wiser for the experience, then yes, but why are people taking all of that for granted?

I know where your are coming from but surely a 12 game unbeaten run is some indication that Bowyer is wiser for the experience? I can't see the FFP thing happening and I don't think the sides it would involve can either, as Derek Shaw has eluded to a couple of times.

31 points from the first 23 matches and now since the turn of the year it's 36 from 22. Extrapolated over a season thats 62 and 75

So long as there are no significant player changes it's daft continuing this debate with things so much on the up isn't it?

Great post. Essentially if we can take our form into next season we will have a great chance in going up. Gestede and Conway have made a huge difference.

Nah, it won't. We'll wait til the end of the season then discuss Bowyer in a gentlemanly fashion, respect opposing views - just as we always do. Abbey can be chairman just to make sure we stay on topic and also to keep the subtle humour ticking over.

Ignoring the £16m outlay on Bowyers 19 additions of course.

16m - um where does that number come from?? 1m for marshall, 1m combined for Evans and Cairney, 100k for Conway, not sure how much killgallion and spurr were? But surely not more than 2 mill. Gestede Was 500k tops?

Net that's 5m at most. And we got 2 or 3 mill back for Dann.

Have I missed something?

• Backroom

16m - um where does that number come from?? 1m for marshall, 1m combined for Evans and Cairney, 100k for Conway, not sure how much killgallion and spurr were? But surely not more than 2 mill. Gestede Was 500k tops?

Net that's 5m at most. And we got 2 or 3 mill back for Dann.

Have I missed something?

I think den's trying to include wages, though he doesn't seem to be factoring in the amount of wages offloaded nor that some of the 19 players brought in have only been with us since Jan/March and are on loan.

Oh, and just to note Spurr and Kilgallon were free.

I know where your are coming from but surely a 12 game unbeaten run is some indication that Bowyer is wiser for the experience? I can't see the FFP thing happening and I don't think the sides it would involve can either, as Derek Shaw has eluded to a couple of times.

The Yeovil game still sticks in the craw. We had everything to play for, only to find out the team decided to settle for a point at the manager's behest. I also have question marks when it comes to Bowyer's playing favourites with some of his youth products. Would Henley still be playing if not for his injury? And is Lowe the kind of player who should be waltzing straight back into the side after a layoff?

And it's alluded, not eluded. Pet peeve.

The Yeovil game still sticks in the craw. We had everything to play for, only to find out the team decided to settle for a point at the manager's behest. I also have question marks when it comes to Bowyer's playing favourites with some of his youth products. Would Henley still be playing if not for his injury? And is Lowe the kind of player who should be waltzing straight back into the side after a layoff?

And it's alluded, not eluded. Pet peeve.

Yeovil were a well drilled side that came for a point and got it as they did at Leicester, Wigan and Reading to name three. The starting line up for the Yeovil game was picked around who was fit and who could last the distance, can't really see how Gary Bowyer could do more than bringing King and Dunn on with half an hour left? As I have said before I'm sure that people don't fully understand how little influence a manager has on the players during the game.

People are quick to remember the games where we dropped points but not the games where we nicked a last minute equaliser. Our season won't come down to a drawn game against Yeovil.

You can argue with Bowyer's methods but look at the results. 11 games unbeaten. When has that last happened? We're scoring regularly and although we've drawn one or two more than we probably should have, I don't think that is enough to justify getting rid of the man. If we go into next season and we hit relegation form then I'm sure he'll be gone before Christmas but at the moment I really don't think there is any need to criticise. He's doing a very good job.

Archived