BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

There isn't half some daft point scoring on one recent match v Yeovil. A season is successful or otherwise over 46 matches. I rem a number of seminal moments through this season which have stuck in my mind over a simple home draw and which would have been more significant. None of the following can be attributed to the manager......

Injuries to key players throughout the season which have not allowed Bowyer to pick from a full squad.

The points 'lost' by inexperienced goalkeepers whilst Robinson was recovering from injury. He isn't the best but we'd be in the play offs now imo if he'd played from the start of the season.

Approx 5 points lost v Wigan, Charlton and Blackpool by Hanleys stupid elbow.

2 points spewed at Millwall by an incompetent knob of a referee who should appear on a specsavers advert.

Maybe I'm biased but we've been denied penalty after penalty whilst on the flip side only Watford (I think) were denied a glaring one v us.

Definitely attributable to the manager is the fact that we've added good players to the squad throughout the season. Best aquisitions imo have been Cairney, Conway and definitely Gestede. If we'd not had to wait to bin off numerous assorted deadlegs we might have had a proper centre forward in Gestede from the off and that would have seen us over the play off line too.

More attributable to the Manager (but not entirely so) are complete no shows v Doncaster, Ipswich, Bolton, Bournemouth and 1st 45 v Brum and yet frustratingly we won every reverse fixture quite comfortably. Promoted teams have not slipped up so often.

Late goals which have cost points v Forest, Brighton, Sheff Wed etc. We've used subs and we've not used subs, sometimes we might have used the wrong subs (Burnley) and still we've not seen some games out. 'Ring craft'. Much work to be done here in the art of possession play and the discipline required to see games out.

As I say it isn't all about one game over Easter and to make it so is pretty pathetic.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't think people are seeking Bowyer's sacking over one game at Easter. More like that game against Yeovil is being used as a particular example of what many think of Bowyer all season.

I'm on the record as saying he should be allowed to get on with the job next season but if we were to fail to get into the six by 1 or 2 points I'd be furious about that lost opportunity.

Even though there have been many all season, that one sticks in the craw. Bottom team at home FFS.

• Backroom

Of course it doesn't boil down to one game but that was one game when everything went our way and we had a real chance to go a point off the top 6

At half time every single result was going perfect for us apart from Our own

It wasn't all about that but it should have been a season defining game

I honestly don't think people are seeking Bowyer's sacking over one game at Easter. More like that game against Yeovil is being used as a particular example of what many think of Bowyer all season.

I'm on the record as saying he should be allowed to get on with the job next season but if we were to fail to get into the six by 1 or 2 points I'd be furious about that lost opportunity.

Even though there have been many all season, that one sticks in the craw. Bottom team at home FFS.

Thats football though isn't it? rem we beat Man Utd at OT the season we came down.

Of course it doesn't boil down to one game but that was one game when everything went our way and we had a real chance to go a point off the top 6

At half time every single result was going perfect for us apart from Our own

It wasn't all about that but it should have been a season defining game

A comment which could have come from a number of supporters from a number of other clubs that day. We weren't the only ones to blow a golden opportunity Tom.

• Backroom

But we aren't fans of other clubs Gordon so I'm not going to be disappointed for other clubs, also we are the ones that have been a bit away all season it was the one chance to close the gap.

As it happens we are still in with a slight chance.

I'm still of the opinion that unless a golden opportunity presents itself (say Malkay declares an interest) we should give the manager till Christmas - ideally with a new assistant manager with a bit more guile.

I think we should be putting some feelers out either way

I wasn't even defending Bowyer, I was pointing out that the reason why he employed negative tactics was because of the manner in which we conceded the 3rd and last goal against Sheffield Wednesday. And if you read his post interview here: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/11146726.Furious_Blackburn_Rovers_boss_demands_response/?action=complain&cid=12665178

This is what he said. “We were trying to score another goal instead of being professional and seeing the game out."

I gathered from that he was worried that we lose against Yeovil by another stupid sucker-punch goal, and so settled for a point. Now, that does not mean I agree with him nor am I defending him. I am merely pointing out a logical reason why he employed negative tactics against Yeovil in the end.

Was it negative? Yes. Did it cost us 3 points? Maybe, we will never know. And we will end up cursing and wondering what could have been. Was it bad? I guess so, even I would want us to risk everything and go all the way.

However, if I look from Bowyer's perspective, I understand why he strategized the way he did. I am in no way condoning it or agreeing with him. I am merely rationalizing his tactics. That's all.

Geez, some people need to calm down. Just because I provided a different take on things does not mean I'm a Bowyer supporter going all out to defend him or that I think he can do no wrong.

• Backroom

I was just thinking to myself that if the season was a few weeks longer we'd walk into the playoffs - maybe he is improving all in all

Just have to hope that level of improvement continues into next season

I don't get to watch many matches here in the states, so you all have a much different perspective than I do, but considering where we were at this point last year I think Bowyer's done a nice job. He's a young manager of a young team-he's going to make mistakes. But he's done well enough in my opinion to get another chance. When he took over we were in a terrible state. The team is vastly improved, both on the pitch and in terms of our chances for the future.

I was just thinking to myself that if the season was a few weeks longer we'd walk into the playoffs - maybe he is improving all in all

Just have to hope that level of improvement continues into next season

At the moment we have that magical quality for a play-off team. Momentum.

We just have to hope we haven't left it too late.

If we get through today still in touching distance then it's just the small matter of Reading v Burnley, with Burnley already guaranteed to finish second, and with the opportunity to crush Rovers hearts.

This mb is going to be hell in the coming days. I expect lots and lots of bickering.

Bowyer's recent record is both a charm and a curse. Too little too late vs a sign of possible improvement.

His decision making during key games have cost us when he has done so much work to get us so close.

Has Bowyer discovered the magic formula? Can we keep his nearly-men squad together? Can we strengthen even?

I still maintain 'his players' would benefit from a 'proper manager' - and strongly believe we would have been promoted this season with his recruitment and better execution, and fewer excuses on match days.

• Backroom

I'm currently floundering in no mans land Stuart.

I'm still immensely annoyed by the Yeovil game which still looks like being massively costly but the last 2 games show when he sends them out with attacking intent we can walk over teams in this league.

The big thing is keeping this momentum going into the new season but Bolton will tell you that's easier said than done

Since the Bournemouth game on the whole you have to say he's earnt another shot but that one bloody game and naive approachis so tough to take still!

Every team can look at fixtures that went for and against them.

9 points up on last season, with a game to go.

2012/13 - 58 points

2013/14 - 67 points

Bowyers overall record as Rovers manager (including caretaker spells and Cup matches)

Played 60

Won 22

Drawn 22

Lost 16

For 89

Against 83

Also 3 players who were signed by Bowyer, this season, on the scoresheet today.

If Bowyer was sacked earlier in the season, in particular after the three straight defats to Bolton, Burnley and Bournemouth I would not have complained. However he has clearly learnt from his mistakes and now we are eleven unbeaten scoring goals for fun, with a great young team with a great spirit, sacking him and risking losing that spirit would be madness. I would expect this squad to stay for next season, with the fringe players and the players out on loan departing and with a few additions which I also expect we will be one of the favourites to go up.

My only complaint is that we aren't in the playoffs - Think that is a great endorsement of Bowyer for this season all things considered. Hopefully the summer will see a new (realistic) contract for Robbo (or a new keeper), Best/Etuhu/Orr/DJ etc moved on, a 1 year deal for Dunn where he shows how much he loves the club by taking a huge paycut and Keane signed from Man U for a full season. A backup striker would be good but could be signed on loan if/when needed.

An experienced assistant would be good but not sure if genuinely essential.

I wasn't even defending Bowyer, I was pointing out that the reason why he employed negative tactics was because of the manner in which we conceded the 3rd and last goal against Sheffield Wednesday. And if you read his post interview here: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/11146726.Furious_Blackburn_Rovers_boss_demands_response/?action=complain&cid=12665178

This is what he said. “We were trying to score another goal instead of being professional and seeing the game out."

I gathered from that he was worried that we lose against Yeovil by another stupid sucker-punch goal, and so settled for a point. Now, that does not mean I agree with him nor am I defending him. I am merely pointing out a logical reason why he employed negative tactics against Yeovil in the end.

Was it negative? Yes. Did it cost us 3 points? Maybe, we will never know. And we will end up cursing and wondering what could have been. Was it bad? I guess so, even I would want us to risk everything and go all the way.

However, if I look from Bowyer's perspective, I understand why he strategized the way he did. I am in no way condoning it or agreeing with him. I am merely rationalizing his tactics. That's all.

Geez, some people need to calm down. Just because I provided a different take on things does not mean I'm a Bowyer supporter going all out to defend him or that I think he can do no wrong.

Actually you said "If I were Bowyer, I would not want that to repeat itself. I would want to play safe and make sure we get 1 point rather than get sucker-punched in the dying minutes of the game "

No offence intended, and this may come across as childish but if he told us to jump off a cliff would you do it?

.. And on that point, why would we take everything a player says as true, but then question what the manager says?

I personally would rather make my own judgements.

Childish - no

Baffling - yes

Maybe I'm biased but we've been denied penalty after penalty whilst on the flip side only Watford (I think) were denied a glaring one v us.

Agree entirely with the sentiment Gord. There's one blatant one I remember, against Reading at home strangely. Hanley sent a Reading lad flying for the clearest pen of the year, ref saw fit to book the Reading lad. Hilarious at the time. Deep into the second half I think, made the difference between a draw and us losing.

Although I was deeply critical of Bowyer after the Yeovil game, and will continue to play the "experience over youth" tune, I can't help thinking a more realistic compromise under the current incumbent would be to revamp the backroom staff in the summer. He should look at finding a Bad Cop to his Good, someone tactically savvy who can complement Bowyer's lack of tactical awareness. And also a certain Scottish Fitness Guru to whip the players into shape.

The bad cop always has to be the manager. Always.

You were saying?

Agree entirely with the sentiment Gord. There's one blatant one I remember, against Reading at home strangely. Hanley sent a Reading lad flying for the clearest pen of the year, ref saw fit to book the Reading lad. Hilarious at the time. Deep into the second half I think.

And at Reading Kilgallon practically picked the ball up in our area right in front the ref and the linesman had a clear view of it.

Actually you said "If I were Bowyer, I would not want that to repeat itself. I would want to play safe and make sure we get 1 point rather than get sucker-punched in the dying minutes of the game "

Yes, I said if I were Bowyer. Which ties into me looking from his perspective. I had to put myself into Bowyer's shoes to rationalize his thinking.

But I am not Bowyer, and as a fan I disagree with his tactics. If I were Bowyer, I would have done this. As a fan, I would not agree. See the difference?

I am willing to give him until Christmas, if rovers aren't at least in the top 3 or 4 by then with a realistic chance of automatic promotion then he has to go, no more flaming excuses (chaddy) its automatic promotion or bust!!!!

Well one game to go and not mathematically out of a play off place. Our manager has improved as he has gained experience. He has been extremely unlucky with injuries, particularly Robbo, Evans, king and Marshall. Not,sure how anybody could consider changing a manager who has improved us so much. But that's footy fans for you, short memories and demand instant success!

I am willing to give him until Christmas, if rovers aren't at least in the top 3 or 4 by then with a realistic chance of automatic promotion then he has to go, no more flaming excuses (chaddy) its automatic promotion or bust!!!!

And who would you replace him with?

Lots of shouts for McCarthy but his clubs was staying down before ours, Billy Davis has disappeared, Freedman, Howe, McDermott all sunk without trace.

Foolish not to look before you leap, so whose it to be then?

Yes, I said if I were Bowyer. Which ties into me looking from his perspective. I had to put myself into Bowyer's shoes to rationalize his thinking.

But I am not Bowyer, and as a fan I disagree with his tactics. If I were Bowyer, I would have done this. As a fan, I would not agree. See the difference?

I do see the difference, but I don't understand why you would think Bowyer would see defending a point as a rational thing to do in the circumstances. The result at sheff weds would logically make you want to be more attack minded in the next game, as you needed the result more after not winning at sheffield. If you where defending a lead, taking a point as you where already sat in a play-off place, down to 10 men, against a really good side etc I'd see some logic, I honestly don't see anything other than attack being a rational option given the circumstances.

(Its nothing personal)

Archived