BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question NNN. I would want to look at the quality of the applications, their track records and future plans. I have seen enough of Gary to not want him as manager although I do believe he has other valuable qualities.

I think he has done enough this year with signings and decent league position to warrant another go. At times we have been poor, but after watching a lot of championship games this season I think that is simply the standard of the league. The only type of person I could see us replacing him with would be someone doing a decent job in the lower championship or upper league one. Strange how a manager can split opinion so much.

If an 11 game streak without a defeat isn't good enough then you're going to be looking for a damn long time to find a 'better' manager.

Bowyer has his flaws, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise, but lets face it, we're in the Championship and hardly likely to attract a significantly better candidate. Whether you believe he is the perfect man for the job or not, can't you see the progress? Can't you also see how firing him after such a finish to the season would send a terrible message to the players and needlessly de-stabilise the club just as it seems to have got its act together?

If the results weren't there, if the goals weren't being scored and if we were no where near promotion then I'd completely understand. However, considering how well we've done over the last month or two I really can't see what more you expect Bowyer to do. I'm not his biggest fan and I had my doubts over the Christmas period but since then the results have improved as have the performances. His signings have done very well and the players are clearly behind him.

What is there to debate?

Just out of interest , when was the last time we had a season were we picked up so many points on the road ,

Pretty sure we have only lost 6 or. 7 away from home this season, I'm sure someone will have the stats .

11 unbeaten and it will go down as a season of what ifs , but I do think Bowyer has done enough this season to be allowed to continue as manager , it's gone to the last game of the season with us still having an outside squeek of the play offs and I'm sure some of us would of bit peoples hands off at that last August if it had been offered

Just out of interest , when was the last time we had a season were we picked up so many points on the road ,

Pretty sure we have only lost 6 or. 7 away from home this season, I'm sure someone will have the stats .

11 unbeaten and it will go down as a season of what ifs , but I do think Bowyer has done enough this season to be allowed to continue as manager , it's gone to the last game of the season with us still having an outside squeek of the play offs and I'm sure some of us would of bit peoples hands off at that last August if it had been offered

Away this season : -

W 7 D 9 L 7 F 36 A 41 PTS 30

Last season

W 4 D 10 L 9 F 28 A 39 PTS 22

Last 8 away games

W 4 D 3 L 1 F 20 A 17

In the last 8 away we have scored 7 more goals than any other team.

Away this season : -

W 7 D 9 L 7 F 36 A 41 PTS 30

Last season

W 4 D 10 L 9 F 28 A 39 PTS 22

Last 8 away games

W 4 D 3 L 1 F 20 A 17

In the last 8 away we have scored 7 more goals than any other team.

The encouraging thing is that a lot of the improvement has come since January when Bowyer has been able to pick more of his own players. It amazes me how little credit Bowyer gets, most clubs fans would be delirious if their team was banging in at least three goals in every away game.

Not since Hughes was here i'd imagine.

I think den's trying to include wages, though he doesn't seem to be factoring in the amount of wages offloaded nor that some of the 19 players brought in have only been with us since Jan/March and are on loan.

Oh, and just to note Spurr and Kilgallon were free.

Explained it all more than once. Those 19 players - and I believe it's actually 21 players, meant the owners have backed Bowyer with a cash outlay of around £16m over two years.

I understand some people want to push the "poor Bowyer, he's had no money" line, but these are the figures that we're looking at. Scoff if you like, but is that not true? Remember as well, that he's only had to sell one player that he probably would have liked to keep.

Sounds like heaven to me, for a championship manager.

Explained it all more than once. Those 19 players - and I believe it's actually 21 players, meant the owners have backed Bowyer with a cash outlay of around £16m over two years.

I understand some people want to push the "poor Bowyer, he's had no money" line, but these are the figures that we're looking at. Scoff if you like, but is that not true? Remember as well, that he's only had to sell one player that he probably would have liked to keep.

Bowyer doesnt sign the players !

Bowyer does this and he doesn't do that! Blah blah blah!

What he HAS done and not a single one of you can argue this factor is get us within 3 points of the play-offs with a game to go.

Now you can preach what a better manager may have done with this squad but at the end of the day, Bowyer built this squad, he gave us hope and Venky's are not the kind of people you can trust to go and get Malky Mackay or someone like that.

If Venky's sack Bowyer, we could take another step even further backwards after they offer the job to the ball boy because he's doing such a magnificent job of keeping the players happy by throwing the ball back to them promptly.

If Bowyer goes, it's very unlikely we'll meet the wage demands of a decent manager.

Instead we'll throw another untried and untested wannabe into the mix and hope he does well.

Kean, Berg, Appleton - Venky's bad choices.

Bowyer - Venky's best choice.

That's 3-1 in favour Venky's making a bad decision.. are you SURE you want Bowyer gone because anyone with at least intelligence enough to type posts on here should be wise enough to know that is not the best option, not one bit!

Can you explain one more time please Den, because I cant see where this £16m figure is coming from?

We're higher than most other clubs in the division too. In fact there are only 7 clubs with a better points tally. Worth noting it isn't Bowyer's fault the likes of Etuhu (£35k pw, 4 year contract), Best, DJ etc are still on the books massively inflating our overall wage bill. Shift out the players Gary did not bring to the club and does not want and you'd have a wage bill far more in line with the rest of the division.

Good luck finding somebody to pay Etuhu, Best or DJ the kind of money we're paying them, though...

They're not costing the club anywhere near what the 19 or 21 players that Bowyer has signed

..........however, bowyer has done OK. No one would say otherwise. It's been very costly, but he's done OK. Well enough?

At the end of the season, I'll try to sum up my thoughts. I won't get into arguments and they will be there to be dissected with no comebacks from me. I think that's probably the best way to go. Leave it there 'til then.

I totally agree. We'd all like a better manager if it were possible and likely. Whilst it is possible it is certainly not likely. They haven't a clue and who would choose. Shaw? He'll do what he's told.

He might do what he is told but it's his magic pen that you have got to watch out for :)

Yes really, you can surely not be claiming the signings of Cairney, Evans, Gestede, Conway, Marshall, Keane (loan), Spurr, Killgallon aren't excellent signings for the level we are at?

Actually JAL don't bother replying after scanning through 5/6 of your posts on this messageboard I can see you seem to have some sort of agenda against all things BRFC, strange for a Rovers fan imo.

And who would you replace him with?

Lots of shouts for McCarthy but his clubs was staying down before ours, Billy Davis has disappeared, Freedman, Howe, McDermott all sunk without trace.

Foolish not to look before you leap, so whose it to be then?

As always, the best candidate from those who apply. We don't know who would apply, we're just fans.

Genuine question PB - Who would you want to replace him?

See above.

The interesting thing is that Bowyer has probably made the Rovers job if it became available a lot more attractive, despite the loons still being here.

Hopefully and a long shot, it might also have peaked the interest of one or two investors if Venky's decide to sell off a % of the club.

The interesting thing is that Bowyer has probably made the Rovers job if it became available a lot more attractive, despite the loons still being here.

Hopefully and a long shot, it might also have peaked the interest of one or two investors if Venky's decide to sell off a % of the club.

in the w bank

Archived