BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire Telegraph - Final Nail in the Coffin?

I have heard that 17 subs are being made redundant at the Lancashire Telegraph. The paper is now going to be produced in Newport. That is the final nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned. How the heck can people with absolutely no knowledge of the local area and local people produce our local paper. Same happened in the North East and it has been a total farce.

Guest Norbert

Newport? As in Wales, or the Isle of Wight? That would be like us starting a newspaper based on news in Antwerp.

Sad news, but this is the way of newspapers. It has been going on for years with the closure of the nationals in Manchester and the merging of printing operations of regional papers.

I have not bought a paper of any sort in 18 months. I get my Daily Telegraph online and look at the LT online about twice a month.

Sadly printed newspapers are dead. My brother used to be Editor of the LEP when they sold up to 70K+ per night; they are now lucky to sell 5K.

• Backroom

It has gone downhill with regards to sport

Do they ever tell us anything we don't already know and when your journos appear to have a real problem with your own userbase you have an issue!

In the internet age, it needs to be less about telling us the obvious and more about interpreting it.

There is certainly less "journalism" any more, a lot of sub editors just rehashing press releases.

I don't know about anyone else but I find stories on the Telegraph (and related papers) websites just unreadable. Not particularly because of the content, but just how much crap there is on the website. Talking adverts, pop ups, 80% of a page full of adverts, 4 paragraphs of an article.

In just a few weeks first there was Thwaites and now the LT is disappearing from the Borough

The standard of reporting plus levels of grammar / spelling / punctuation has gone down greatly over the years. It frequently reads like it's been written by sixth form pupils. I expect much of this can be apportioned to poor standards of editing with the real blame down to over 40 years of comprehensive education.

The massive change in the demography of Blackburn hasn't helped either has it? 50% asian population now by definition must mean 50% less traditional LT readers living in the area, and I'd be surprised if much of the asian population have cultivated the Telegraph 'habit' to the same extent.

Having said all that I'm afraid I haven't helped. I'm like PB and rely on the TV and the real elephant on the romm t'internet for news. I haven't bought a tellywag for quite some years now.

It has gone downhill with regards to sport

Do they ever tell us anything we don't already know and when your journos appear to have a real problem with your own userbase you have an issue!

I just had a quick read online.

With classic stories such as a baby nearly choking on a piece of plastic allegedly found in a bag of quavers, a bloke and his pet terrapin missing, the halal meat at subway uproar, and a house roof falling in it's no surprise that the paper is going to the dogs.

I don't know about anyone else but I find stories on the Telegraph (and related papers) websites just unreadable. Not particularly because of the content, but just how much crap there is on the website. Talking adverts, pop ups, 80% of a page full of adverts, 4 paragraphs of an article.

I quite agree. What I cannot for the life of me understand is why they take, or for that matter people buy, all this advertising?

The adverts detract from the site quality thus driving people away and from the advertisers view do people really click through and buy stuff? I can't believe they do so the advertising cost and revenue to the LT must be minute.

All wasted.

• 1 year later...

The World's becoming a bigger place...what's that word again?

What's happened to the LT is similar to what's happened at Rovers on a much smaller/different scale. Its become increasingly worse since Peter White died. Wheelock certainly isn't going to bring back that level of journalism though he's not the absolute worst they have had. As for the general news that was never the main readership draw anyway.

Employee security hasn't been much better recently either...and that's probably the case with other Newsquest owned publications.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/more-newsquest-cuts-lancashire-telegraph-staff-reeling-over-axing-editors-eight-decades-experience

There was a problem with this page so it was reloaded.

Bloody hell..... Just realised I replied to a post from two years ago.

Vinjay, stop resurrecting old threads.

Archived