BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Having seen Rovers teams score five goals over the weekend and not getting anything is really disappointing. We were cruising and two up at half time but came out for the second half full of mistakes, poor decision making and lackadaisical. Villa scored early and then two in quick succession killed us. Our keeper, Michalski was our best player as he made several too drawer saves. In fairness we really pushed on in the last the minutes and the Villa keeper made a couple of really good saves. The only player likely to be considered for Wednesday, Gilsenan had a good first half but faded badly in the second half which typified the team performance.

The U21s game had nothing on it, so don't be disappointed.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It had three points on it and I wanted us to win.

Exactly right.  Players have to learn how to win games - that's part of their development.  Although we have a number of promising young players, I thought yesterday showed that they are still some way off being ready for the first team.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

It had three points on it and I wanted us to win.

Three points towards what ? There is no relegation or promotion involved anymore. Might as well play friendlies, or better still have a tactics/dead-ball only, training session.

Edited by rigger

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Three points towards what ? There is no relegation or promotion involved anymore. Might as well play friendlies, or better still have a tactics/dead-ball only, training session.

Winning games breeds a winning mentality. With your stance we might as well not have an under 21 team. They will develop more playing competitive games rather than your proposal of friendlies and training sessions.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

Did you ever play in a league with no relegation or promotion ?

No.

But it wouldn’t have made any difference. If it was coats down on the local rec I’d still be bursting a gut to win. It’s a matter of personal pride. If you haven’t got that find something to do, like bird watching etc.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Winning games breeds a winning mentality. With your stance we might as well not have an under 21 team. They will develop more playing competitive games rather than your proposal of friendlies and training sessions.

But that is my point, they aren't competative games, because there is no relegation or promotion. If you come bottom so what, that will become the mentality. 

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No.

But it wouldn’t have made any difference. If it was coats down on the local rec I’d still be bursting a gut to win. It’s a matter of personal pride. If you haven’t got that find something to do, like bird watching etc.

So would I, a long time ago. I don't know if todays young professionals have the same attitude. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

But that is my point, they aren't competative games, because there is no relegation or promotion. If you come bottom so what, that will become the mentality. 

Did you see yesterday's game to pass off your 'aren't competitive' comment? Several yellow cards, crunching tackles, good intensity and commitment. This is where players learn more about the game than anything else and looking at the Rovers players disappointment yesterday I can tell you that losing hurt them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Did you see yesterday's game to pass off your 'aren't competitive' comment? Several yellow cards, crunching tackles, good intensity and commitment. This is where players learn more about the game than anything else and looking at the Rovers players disappointment yesterday I can tell you that losing hurt them.

No I didn't go yesterday, and I wont be going to any league games, because that is how I feel about the league set-up this season. In my opinion it is a waste of my time, effort and money.

18 hours ago, rigger said:

Did you ever play in a league with no relegation or promotion ?

Personally I play in a league in Shanghai without promotion or relegation and it is for the most part very competitive.  I and my teammates play every game to win and do our best.  I certainly would be absolutely gutted to finish bottom but we usually finish mid table, still aiming to win the league though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, philipl said:
Staggering stats. 97% of former cat 1 academy players now aged 21 to 26 never made an EPL appearance. 70% weren't handed a pro contract at an EPL or EFL club. And only 1 in 10 went on to make more than 20 league appearances in the top four tiers of English football.

Amazing statistic really. I was standing next to Edmondson’s Dad & Grandad at Harrogate, obviously proud as punch when he got on and then scored. I’m really hoping that he can make it now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, philipl said:
Staggering stats. 97% of former cat 1 academy players now aged 21 to 26 never made an EPL appearance. 70% weren't handed a pro contract at an EPL or EFL club. And only 1 in 10 went on to make more than 20 league appearances in the top four tiers of English football.

Yeh it's a harsh profession. I'm in a similarly unforgiving one - acting. Apparently 90% of us are unemployed at any given time and only 2% of us make a living from the profession. But much like with football, the rewards for truly making it can be huge. Happens to very few though.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh it's a harsh profession. I'm in a similarly unforgiving one - acting. Apparently 90% of us are unemployed at any given time and only 2% of us make a living from the profession. But much like with football, the rewards for truly making it can be huge. Happens to very few though.

I used to be a regular attender at the Edinburgh Festival so I’ve seen the down side of the acting game. Guys wandering around trying to sell their show in the morning, going on stage in the afternoon, then out again trying to sell tomorrows show. That’s after playing in front of a handful of people. I’ve been in shows with 3 people in the audience. I’d rather stick to engineering.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to be a regular attender at the Edinburgh Festival so I’ve seen the down side of the acting game. Guys wandering around trying to sell their show in the morning, going on stage in the afternoon, then out again trying to sell tomorrows show. That’s after playing in front of a handful of people. I’ve been in shows with 3 people in the audience. I’d rather stick to engineering.

I've never done the Fringe myself, for fear of exactly that kind of experience. Plus it generally costs quite a bit. I'm managing to make a very small living at the moment...I'd be a bit screwed if I didn't save up at a day job for 7 years first, but I'm confident I'll build up to enough to modestly live on within the year.

Other jobs are easier in terms of career path, but I've tried that, hated it, and decided I need to pursue what I love. I don't feel too bad for footballers who don't make it because they're doing the same, pursuing a dream that I'm sure they'll have been told is hard to reach. It's a shame but not everyone can make it.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I've never done the Fringe myself, for fear of exactly that kind of experience. Plus it generally costs quite a bit. I'm managing to make a very small living at the moment...I'd be a bit screwed if I didn't save up at a day job for 7 years first, but I'm confident I'll build up to enough to modestly live on within the year.

Other jobs are easier in terms of career path, but I've tried that, hated it, and decided I need to pursue what I love. I don't feel too bad for footballers who don't make it because they're doing the same, pursuing a dream that I'm sure they'll have been told is hard to reach. It's a shame but not everyone can make it.

The lad who was Max in Brookside and before that in Crossroads way back, a big Rovers fan, from Snuffy Harwood if I remember correctly, did ok. Then there is the Dr Who chap 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The Fringe is great, the best holidays I ever had, we’d do 50 shows in a week. You needed a real holiday when you got back though. Not so great for the participants  unless you’re a known performer. It’s got more expensive over the years, out of our reach now.

• Like 1

Rovers under 21's were heavily beaten by the Rags today and they fully deserved to win but the game turned on a controversial decision. With the score at 2-2 a United player jumped in two footed on Duru and was only cautioned when for me it was a clear red card. Within a minute or two the perpetrator was substituted which is always a sign that the player was extremely lucky. The incident seemed to rattle Rovers and United took advantage of this and scored another three goals. As I said they deserved to win but if they had rightly gone down to ten men it could have been completely different.

• Like 3

Another classic from the Rovers web site. The official statement says that todays U21s game is at the Rovers academy,  the same site, on the fixtures page it says the game is at Bamber Bridge. As the match is Blackpools home game, it may be at Bamber bridge ?