• Lee Williamson
    • Chris Taylor
    • Rudy Gestede
    • Jordan Rhodes
    • Chris Brown

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody said who they'd voted for in goal of the season as well as who they thought was player of the season. I merely replied that I'd liked Taylor's goal too. My vote for player of the season would go to Olson. Hope that makes it clear abs

The only player half capable of cutting it in the PL for me. Gestede.

Always havoc and has added plenty of goals to his armoury since he joined us last January. It's been a fantastic 16 months for him and I'll be extremely sad to see him go this summer. What a signing he's been.

Whilst not of the same calibre, obviously, it has to be said that Brown is far likelier to replace Gestede than Rhodes. I guess that means that P Taylor is here to take Rhodes place. If those are the kinds of players who are going to be in the first team next season, I'd far rather that the young lads were given a run. Mahoney is 21 now isn't he? Get him in there against Ipswich and see what he can do.

Whilst not of the same calibre, obviously, it has to be said that Brown is far likelier to replace Gestede than Rhodes. I guess that means that P Taylor is here to take Rhodes place. If those are the kinds of players who are going to be in the first team next season, I'd far rather that the young lads were given a run. Mahoney is 21 now isn't he? Get him in there against Ipswich and see what he can do.

Quite enjoyed Taylor's performance on Tuesday night - looks like an intelligent player (switching the play out wide, looking for a killer pass), and also has some quality on the ball. Not saying he's an ideal replacement for Rhodes or Gestede but why so reluctant to give him a chance? Because of his chequered history?

People keep going on about this Mahoney like he's the next Hoillett/Duff/Dunn - has he shown much in the youth team or reserves? Genuinley don't know because I don't follow the kids/reserves very often.

• Moderation Lead

18 according to Wiki Stuart!-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Mahoney

Sure his Dad can verify if wiki is correct on this occasion if he still posts!!

Quite enjoyed Taylor's performance on Tuesday night - looks like an intelligent player (switching the play out wide, looking for a killer pass), and also has some quality on the ball. Not saying he's an ideal replacement for Rhodes or Gestede but why so reluctant to give him a chance? Because of his chequered history?

People keep going on about this Mahoney like he's the next Hoillett/Duff/Dunn - has he shown much in the youth team or reserves? Genuinley don't know because I don't follow the kids/reserves very often.

I'll give Taylor a chance. He looked lively on Tuesday without ever threatening and was the bright spark in an otherwise very poor first half. Hard to tell from that. He doesn't have a great pedigree and there is talk of off the field issues. Also Bowyer doesn't have a great reputation for man-managing such players. We'll see with him. One thing is for certain it's another downgrade.

I've always said that I prefer high quality mercenaries over low quality home grown (including managers). But if the mercenaries are going to be low quality is much rather give academy players a chance. From the, admittedly, very little I've seen of Mahoney, he looks like he has something about him. But he will only be able to realise his potential when he is given a chance to play with (and against) better quality players. Plus, he's a local lad and a Rovers fan. Isn't that exactly what people are championing about Kinder?

I do really wonder what goes through Bowyer's mind whilst selecting the starting 11. What does Brown have to offer that Rhodes or Gestede cannot achieve? He must be absolutely amazing in training lol

Not sure about Olsson. He's great going forward but the number of goals against coming from the opposing right winger crossing and cutting in makes me question his ability as a defender. Irrespective of their wish to leave the player of the season has got to be one of the 20 goal men. Beyond them pickings are very lean.

Not sure about Olsson. He's great going forward but the number of goals against coming from the opposing right winger crossing and cutting in makes me question his ability as a defender. Irrespective of their wish to leave the player of the season has got to be one of the 20 goal men. Beyond them pickings are very lean.

I agree - like his bloody brother for that.

The question is not, who is the best player at the club. It's who has consistently performed this season and, despite making mistakes, Olsson has almost certainly been that player. Every player has made mistakes. Every player has failed in some way. Olssons attitude and effort as well as his level of performance have been consistent across the season. For me, it's a no brainer.

The question is not, who is the best player at the club. It's who has consistently performed this season and, despite making mistakes, Olsson has almost certainly been that player. Every player has made mistakes. Every player has failed in some way. Olssons attitude and effort as well as his level of performance have been consistent across the season. For me, it's a no brainer.

We all see different things on the same field of play.

We do indeed Al. For my money, if the question is 'who is the most improved player this season' then the answer is Olsson, no debate. If the question is 'who is the best player this season' the likes of Rhodes and Gestede (at least) are well ahead of Olsson.

We do indeed Al. For my money, if the question is 'who is the most improved player this season' then the answer is Olsson, no debate. If the question is 'who is the best player this season' the likes of Rhodes and Gestede (at least) are well ahead of Olsson.

I thought player of the year was supposed to be the best player otherwise it would be "the most improved player" which is not what was asked.

Depends on your definition of best. If you mean the most talented, that's one thing. If you mean the one who has been best overall throughout the season in terms of effort consistency and the all round standard of play that's something else. I'd argue that Gestedes attitude at times has let him down, that Rhodes hasn't reached the heights of previous seasons despite the goals he's scored and for me the best overall performance has been olssons. Of course it's about opinions and yours differs from mine which I accept. It's just that I'm not talking about the most improved player. In my opinion Olsson has been our best performer week in, week out

Archived