• Lee Williamson
    • Chris Taylor
    • Rudy Gestede
    • Jordan Rhodes
    • Chris Brown

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't I vote for dunny? I deleted my vote for browny as I'm annoyed with him so voted for willo as a protest vote

After Gestede's comments to the papers yesterday, if he wins PotY he's getting booed by me.

Olsson gets my vote, and I'd sooner see Rhodes get the award over Rudy now.

Yeah let's all boo at Rudy. He looks like simon off corries dad anyway bengalse prick

Why can't I vote for dunny? I deleted my vote for browny as I'm annoyed with him so voted for willo as a protest vote

Yeah let's all boo at Rudy. He looks like simon off corries dad anyway bengalse prick

What's a bengalse ?

dingle numpty

I'll give Taylor a chance. He looked lively on Tuesday without ever threatening and was the bright spark in an otherwise very poor first half. Hard to tell from that. He doesn't have a great pedigree and there is talk of off the field issues. Also Bowyer doesn't have a great reputation for man-managing such players. We'll see with him. One thing is for certain it's another downgrade.

I've always said that I prefer high quality mercenaries over low quality home grown (including managers). But if the mercenaries are going to be low quality is much rather give academy players a chance. From the, admittedly, very little I've seen of Mahoney, he looks like he has something about him. But he will only be able to realise his potential when he is given a chance to play with (and against) better quality players. Plus, he's a local lad and a Rovers fan. Isn't that exactly what people are championing about Kinder?

To be honest Stuart, I've watched Mahoney all season and I struggling to see what the fuss is about. Too often blows hot and cold and disappears in games. I agree that he needs to play against better opposition and would like to see him sent out on loan to get that experience.

When the new Duff stepped up under Hughes he struggled somewhat and people were straight on his back. Mahonney isn't even up to even his level yet from what I've seen. Good player on his day and potential, but looks every bit raw lad. Time for another good loan spell somewhere as for me he's gone backwards this season playing in the U21's. Looked to have come on leaps and bounds when he first came back off loan.

To be honest Stuart, I've watched Mahoney all season and I struggling to see what the fuss is about. Too often blows hot and cold and disappears in games. I agree that he needs to play against better opposition and would like to see him sent out on loan to get that experience.

If we haven't got a pot to pee in then we need to start promoting from within rather than paying money - that we don't have - for the likes of Varney and P Taylor. (Accepting that despite his lack of ability, Brown is a very different kind of player).

Pretty damning, but no surprise really, that Bowyer's previous role hasn't produced any strikers of note.

Aside from that I'd be delighted to see a local boy and Rovers fan at least be given the chance to show what he can do with a team of better players around and against him.

If we haven't got a pot to pee in then we need to start promoting from within rather than paying money - that we don't have - for the likes of Varney and P Taylor. (Accepting that despite his lack of ability, Brown is a very different kind of player).

Pretty damning, but no surprise really, that Bowyer's previous role hasn't produced any strikers of note.

Aside from that I'd be delighted to see a local boy and Rovers fan at least be given the chance to show what he can do with a team of better players around and against him.

A lovely thought Stuart but if they aren't ready then promoting youth above their station is a sure fire way to get relegated - In fact, amongst the garbage that Kean bought, he also relied a lot on the kids - Lowe, Hanley, Henley. He was always whittering on about Robbie Cotton too. No surprise that we went down with barely a whimper.

We can't rely on a kid who's never played at Championship level just because he's a local. Also didn't I hear a very good point made by someone that if a player has 5 senior caps for his club then they are considered senior players, thus could prove an obstacle in justifying how many senior players you have within your squad with the FFP regulations.....

A more thorough understanding of this would be useful.

A lovely thought Stuart but if they aren't ready then promoting youth above their station is a sure fire way to get relegated - In fact, amongst the garbage that Kean bought, he also relied a lot on the kids - Lowe, Hanley, Henley. He was always whittering on about Robbie Cotton too. No surprise that we went down with barely a whimper.

We can't rely on a kid who's never played at Championship level just because he's a local. Also didn't I hear a very good point made by someone that if a player has 5 senior caps for his club then they are considered senior players, thus could prove an obstacle in justifying how many senior players you have within your squad with the FFP regulations.....

A more thorough understanding of this would be useful.

Rely on? Getting a bit ahead of yourself, Jimmy. I said give the lad an opportunity.

Using Kean to back up any sort of argument is flawed before we even start!

When the new Duff stepped up under Hughes he struggled somewhat and people were straight on his back

Sorry, lost me tom. Who was the new duff? Only player I can think of who got that level of billing was Hoilett but didn't he come later under Allardyce? And he was very good and everyone liked him. Until he ran down his contract like a complete b*stard and left that is.

Probably the only good players since Duff and Dunn - and by good I mean better than we have now in our squad in the Championship - were Hoilett and Jones.

You could argue Gallagher, Garner and Derbyshire would constitute an improvement (though we signed Derbyshire so late its a stretch to call him an academy player), but really Marshall or Cairney are similar inconsistent sorts of talents. We have plenty of those.

For us to pull out a enough quality youngsters from the academy over the summer to get us into the prem when we have only produced two real players in 15 years of academy is really wishful thinking.

The key is going to be finding quality cheap castoffs - as we did with Gestede, Conway, Spurr etc - and finding a way to get the best out of what we have, particularly our flair players. And sorting out the abysmal defence.

If we rely on the academy we are screwed. Youth cup final or no.

• Backroom

Maybe he's thinking Treacey (shudder) or Sergio Peter - who in one of very few chances in pre season chipped - and missed a penalty

I always thought Peter had some decent attributes about him, just couldn't get his head down. Did he eventually have gambling problems?

I remember him coming on as a second half sub away at Everton and he was the only shining light in that game. Whipped in some great crosses. Can't remember the score but I'm pretty sure we lost, may have been by a Beattie header if memory serves.

• Backroom

I always thought Peter had some decent attributes about him, just couldn't get his head down. Did he eventually have gambling problems?

I remember him coming on as a second half sub away at Everton and he was the only shining light in that game. Whipped in some great crosses. Can't remember the score but I'm pretty sure we lost, may have been by a Beattie header if memory serves.

I remember him having a ruddy good debut vs QPR in the FA Cup. Best debut since Emerton vs Wolves.

Only topped by Jones vs Chelsea.

• Backroom

Think Gestede's antics in January cost him as well. Olsson a deserved winner, though I doubt any of us would have predicted it at the start of the season!

There's no doubt that Olsson is the most improved but that montage of "here's why he won it" was a damning indictment of the rest of the team. Two assists and a throw-in were part of the highlight reel.

My memory was the barometer I had been using but on the basis of that, both Marshall and Conway would have had better DVDs!

Archived