BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Respect And Awareness Needed When Posting

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad idea, but don't think the software can do that. 99% of the time, a thread will get re-opened at some point after being locked. Surely you know that from past experience? Think it's always safer for users to assume that a thread is usually closed to weed out the crap. And a lot of that crap is something even you've referred to as crap in the recent past, so it's good to know you're on board with the moderator's decision. :)

At almost every forum I've ever been that, when a topic is closed there's usually an accompanying message from one of the mods explaining why. It's just common sense.

And manners I'd suggest.

Any Mod can make the 'last' post a 'Thread cleaning/ maintenance ' fix the prob and then edit his post out..... or is that too simple?

Phil I didnt know that 99% rule. No doubt I've missed threads being locked and reopened but most of the threads I see locked seem to stay locked.

Not a bad idea, but don't think the software can do that. 99% of the time, a thread will get re-opened at some point after being locked. Surely you know that from past experience? Think it's always safer for users to assume that a thread is usually closed to weed out the crap. And a lot of that crap is something even you've referred to as crap in the recent past, so it's good to know you're on board with the moderator's decision. :)

To be fair, Phil, it doesn't need software. All mods have posting privileges. If a mod thinks a thread needs to be closed temporarily to simmer tempers or hide posts which are off topic and petty then they can do so then they should feel able to put that reason on the thread as the final post.

Obviously people shouldn't create unnecessary admin for mods and a certain amount of self-policing should be done as well.

I agree with what you're saying, by the way. Just think it wasn't done on this occasion, but not with bad intentions. Just something missed.

I haven't pored through the past posts to find the offending post but I can assure you that had I even suspected that the closure was only temporary I would not have made that remark. Surely you don't think that the mods should never be questioned if we don't agree with their actions do you?

No problem in questioning the mods, of course. I'm just making a point that it can be done more helpfully than the remark you made. Maybe ask questions before assuming the mod's intentions, even if there wasn't an explanation. Otherwise the situation just escalates and then other people unnecessarily get on the mod's back.

No problem in questioning the mods, of course. I'm just making a point that it can be done more helpfully than the remark you made. Maybe ask questions before assuming the mod's intentions, even if there wasn't an explanation. Otherwise the situation just escalates and then other people unnecessarily Gerry on the mod's back.

Serious question, when someone reports a post why no feed back from admin, ever ?

There used to be at least 4 or 5 moderators. For one reason or another, that number has dwindled down to one. If there were more to help out, then the communication might be better. Tom can't do the moderating for the whole community alone, but the numbers really need upping so that the board is better looked after. That's the simplest answer I can give you. Maybe a recruitment drive is in order.

• Backroom

There used to be at least 4 or 5 moderators. For one reason or another, that number has dwindled down to one. If there were more to help out, then the communication might be better. Tom can't do the moderating for the whole community alone, but the numbers really need upping so that the board is better looked after. That's the simplest answer I can give you. Maybe a recruitment drive is in order.

I've offered to help out at various times throughout my 6/7 years on here but never had a word back from Glenn or Wen.

Recently heard back from Tom when offering my help but he could only pass me on to Glenn... with no response.

I've offered to help out at various times throughout my 6/7 years on here but never had a word back from Glenn or Wen.

Recently heard back from Tom when offering my help but he could only pass me on to Glenn... with no response.

If I was to be mischievous I'd suggest you don't appear to be left wing enough.

Trotsky wasn't left wing enough for me.

Truth is, I'm great an reading messages, rubbish at replying to them.

We are in the middle of something that should fix that though (i.e. far less reliance on me to do stuff).

... and sorry Mike, I just suck.

Seems simple enough to fix, Glenn. Complaints about mods being met with "there aren't enough mods" is a bit hollow if you are turning down offers of free help. I'll second Mike for mod.

vote-mike.png

Same here Mike but although I got a response from Glenn I was not asked to do anything.

• Backroom

We are in the middle of something that should fix that though (i.e. far less reliance on me to do stuff).

You certainly don't suck! Just reply on occasion ;)

I don't know about Voting for Mike, but this guy has my vote (don't forget to clicking the play button, it's the song that made me aware of him - http://radiostatic2013.wix.com/mundojazz#!minge/c9ca - Warning contains rude words)

Does that explain the sudden surge in pinned topics

BTW We're having a bit of a reorganise, both figuratively and litterally.

It's obvious that Ste and I didn't have the time to run it on our own, nor did Wen. So we're implementing something that means it won't all come to a grinding holt when one person gets busy.

I'd say "more news soon", but ideally if everything works, you won't notice a difference, other than stuff gets done in the same year it gets promised.

I don't know about Voting for Mike, but this guy has my vote (don't forget to clicking the play button, it's the song that made me aware of him - http://radiostatic2013.wix.com/mundojazz#!minge/c9ca - Warning contains rude words)

BTW We're having a bit of a reorganise, both figuratively and litterally.

It's obvious that Ste and I didn't have the time to run it on our own, nor did Wen. So we're implementing something that means it won't all come to a grinding holt when one person gets busy.

I'd say "more news soon", but ideally if everything works, you won't notice a difference, other than stuff gets done in the same year it gets promised.

I think I am pregnant with doom

:lol:

Seems we smoked him out at last mike! :tu:

Oh! Don't book any hols in mexico Glenn. ;)

• Moderation Lead

Me too Mike :-(

Archived