BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Extra ! Extra ! Read All About It !

• Backroom

The irony is that left-wing people have a nasty habit of telling people what they can or can't say or even think. An extreme right-wing trait of the left.

My view is that right/left spectrum is outdated and it's more of a circle. The 'pinnacle' of the circle is where the extremes meet, which are communism and fascism. Is there really much difference between North Korean dictatorship and Nazis dictatorship? Not much at all, but they're supposedly opposites.

Two cheeks of the same arse, as my dad likes to say.

Which makes me wonder why moderate left and moderate right views are received so differently. I generally find that most people are a mix of left and right.

However most left-leaning people I've met tend to have an attitude of 'look at how much I care about people, but right wingers don't, what knob!'.....which actually makes them the knobs.

You'd also be very surprised how many 'liberal' teachers are left-leaning re: education but right-leaning in many other aspects.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Anyway, nice to see Cameron completely change his mind on the issue within 24 hours.

Sad to see he's had to be shamed into doing it though.

I do wonder if this whole ISIS crap will lead to a war. If it does, I sure as hell don't want Cameron to be PM!

Disagree entirely. My major bug-bear in politics is that the overly vocal left dominate to a disproportionate extent. In recent years every time there are general or local elections, the media and the left are taken aback by the strength of support for the right. They're taken aback because there's a silent majority in England whose views are considered unfashionable and unacceptable by the bullying left, and who generally stay quiet because of it. The left constantly misread the mood of the nation, but rarely seem to care except just after being spanked in an election. And even then it's more bitter denial than realisation.

I don't know how you can post this and mean what you say. Do you read newspapers? This country's press is overwhelmingly right wing, The coverage of the election by the Daily Telegraph, the Sun, the Mail and the Express was nothing short of disgraceful in its personal attacks on Ed Miliband. Even the supposedly independent Independent backed the Tories. The Times, as with all Murdoch publications, backed the Tories, as did the FT. Only the Mirror and the Guardian backed Labour. Most of the BBC's political correspondents have had Conservative party affliliations while the BBC's news agenda during the election consistently took its cue from the Mail. So where is this "vocal left" you are on about except as a figment of your own warped right wing imagination?

I don't know how you can post this and mean what you say. Do you read newspapers? This country's press is overwhelmingly right wing, The coverage of the election by the Daily Telegraph, the Sun, the Mail and the Express was nothing short of disgraceful in its personal attacks on Ed Miliband. Even the supposedly independent Independent backed the Tories. The Times, as with all Murdoch publications, backed the Tories, as did the FT. Only the Mirror and the Guardian backed Labour. Most of the BBC's political correspondents have had Conservative party affliliations while the BBC's news agenda during the election consistently took its cue from the Mail. So where is this "vocal left" you are on about except as a figment of your own warped right wing imagination?

Still smarting aren't you ?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/04/david-cameron-limit-uk-syrian-refugee-intake-discourage-dangerous-journeys

Cameron.had a chance today that we are a caring nation with high principles and morals to help those less fortunate than ourselves. He blew it.

No he didn't, almost showed a little backbone.

ngdo8w.jpg

Still smarting aren't you ?

No he didn't, almost showed a little backbone.

ngdo8w.jpg

Yesterday you where angry that they where coming to the Uk, today you are upset Germany are welcoming them?

As for Cameron, his opinion sways with the wind. He'll say whatever he thinks you want to hear.

Besides which, there are 1.9m syrian refugees in Turkey, 1.2m in Lebanon, 600k in Jordan and nearly 250,000 in Iraq.

• Backroom

Two points:

Why do you think the right wing papers are overwhelmingly more popular in Britain than left wing papers? People tend to read what they want to read about, as such maybe right wing papers reflect the mood of the nation.

There are plenty of left wing papers to compete, but they don't: Independent (and The I), Guardian, Observer, Mirror as well as Buzzfeed and Huffington Post online.

I see the obnoxious comments from ABBEY and Al were deleted by a mod. I'd rather they were there for all to see but there you go.

Why on earth would, or at least should, I still be reading it? Talking tripe, talking out my backside, oh yes please ultrablue continue, i'm all ears! I know it's standard practice amongst liberals to get angry and then get insulting whenever someone puts forward made up "facts" to theirs. But for the record that fascist approach will only ever work on the weak willed.

Here's what you should have said Toad. You can choose your own point of view, but you can't invent your own numbers. Also unless you are American, you are using the word liberal wrongly.

Why do you think the right wing papers are overwhelmingly more popular in Britain than left wing papers?

Because old people buy newspapers.

The debate over how to help these Syrian refugees should not be a left-right issue Mike. It is a humanitarian issue. These are not economic migrants. They are part of the biggest fleeing of a war-torn nation since World War 2. Cameron and his government were slow to realise this despite the fact the news has been warning about it for years now.

After the governments change of heart I see the UK will be taking refugees directly from camps in Jordan and Turkey, not from amongst those already in Europe. This seems to be a decision everyone can get behind. The government gets to cut out all the messy border crossings in the refugees application, avoiding us having to reconsider the Dublin Regulation as the Germans have.

The only problem I can see is the vague figure Cameron gave which was in the "thousands" rather than tens of thousands. The UK could and should be doing more.

The only problem I can see is the vague figure Cameron gave which was in the "thousands" rather than tens of thousands. The UK could and should be doing more.

The UK has committed to 5 thousand from what I've seen, thats on top of the 5,000 We have taken to this point.

We are committing more in terms of being one of the biggest financial supporters of the humanitarian effort in Turkey.

Could we do more?, yes. Should we do more?, in my opinion yes.

Yesterday you where angry that they where coming to the Uk, today you are upset Germany are welcoming them?

As for Cameron, his opinion sways with the wind. He'll say whatever he thinks you want to hear.

Besides which, there are 1.9m syrian refugees in Turkey, 1.2m in Lebanon, 600k in Jordan and nearly 250,000 in Iraq.

I think he was trying to say if they were after political asylum they would have stopped a bit sooner.

If so he has a point.

Two points:

Why do you think the right wing papers are overwhelmingly more popular in Britain than left wing papers? People tend to read what they want to read about, as such maybe right wing papers reflect the mood of the nation.

There are plenty of left wing papers to compete, but they don't: Independent (and The I), Guardian, Observer, Mirror as well as Buzzfeed and Huffington Post online.

Four points:

1. This is probably the first time I have responded to one of your posts.

2. I don't respond because you give the appearance of knowing nothing about anything at all

3. The above is a prime example. Do some research on the history of British press ownership.

4. This is the last time I respond to one of your posts.

Close the borders, no more effing immigrants, this country is already overloaded, one day we will be the minority

Alf Garnett? In case you missed it, immigration has net plus to the UK economy, and I think you'll find the NHS couldn't function without immigrants.

I think he was trying to say if they were after political asylum they would have stopped a bit sooner.

If so he has a point.

Well if you look at his initial points and map and my points regarding numbers of migrants in the countries immediately surrounding Syria then its not really a valid point.

I'm all right Jack and screw the rest of the planet.

You've posted some vile stuff in your time but this one just about takes the biscuit.

Even Baroness Warsi - an unlikeable woman and one of the worst sort of Tories - admitted on radio today we have a responsibility to take more refugees.

The media are only shining a light on the refugees, building up anxiety and anger and showing the horror and realism of what really happens when boats capsize etc in preparation for a land invasion on Syria. It's the paint by numbers approach (pushed by governments) that works with a dumbed - down population.

Close the borders, no more effing immigrants, this country is already overloaded, one day we will be the minority

It seems to me we may have or will reach a point when the UK population becomes too large, unsustainable. However that does not mean we should be closing our borders, it means solutions have to be found to the huge problems the world faces.

Do you comprehend the huge impact of closing our borders to your "effing immigrants"? Much of our society and the life we are privileged to lead is reliant on a workforce of "effing migrants."

Closing our borders could shut us off from at least EU markets for our imports and exports and probably even world markets. EU countries are already pretty irritated by UK government attitudes and our lack of contribution in some areas. If Cameron thinks he can @#/? off the EU and then expect support for his proposed changes he's a fool.

British farming produces approximately 50% of our food requirements. Close the borders and we might find importing our food becomes a problem in the future.

We are forecast to import 70% of our gas requirements by 2020. If this supply was cut how do you propose we keep the lights on?

Approximately 5.5 million British citizens currently live outside the UK. If we closed our borders and other countries retaliate by forcing these people out where do you propose we put these people?

We live in a world and society we helped shape and create. We cannot walk away from the responsibilities centuries of benefitting from people and resources scattered across the world have given our country.

Mass migration of people fleeing war, terror, famine, drought have been taking place in Africa for decades. Other countries, far poorer than the UK, are taking literally millions of refugees. Interesting isn't it that we only really take an interest when the refugees start banging on Europe's door.

For me we have a moral responsibility to help these people in the long and the short term. If the world doesn't solve these issues the population and wealth imbalances will unleash terrible consequences.

So by all means close the borders to your "effing migrants" but from a purely selfish view we might want to consider the consequences. If Britain abandons the EU, the world what makes you think other countries will be interested in us?

Closing the door to "effing migrants" could change or society for the worse in a very short period.

We live in a world, we cannot isolate ourselves for moral, practical and self-interest reasons. Shut the door if you wish but don't complain when the world responds.

Instead of having one of your predictable pops at me would you like to argue why it's in our long term benefit to close our borders?

Do you want to live in a country with plentiful food, power and medical resources or not? Long term as populations grow and resources diminish countries which chose to isolate themselves may suffer the consequences.

The right wing is misreading the mood of the nation. Ordinary Britons see the difference between desperate refugees and economic migrants more clearly than a prime minister who uses the same language as the xenophobes (swarms of migrants?). A large, rich and ageing continent such as Europe desperately needs new people and can easily absorb such newcomers and will profit greatly from their energy and enterprise

Puzzling comment, aren't they coming from a much larger, rich and ageing continent?

Archived