BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Social Media In Sport

ABBEY

That would be fixing the problem from the wrong end, a bit like asking if sportsmen should be banned from driving after Kean's drink driving conviction.

I was about to say that sportsmen need an education in social media, it's permanence and the consequences of a single moment of stupidity, but frankly that's true of half of humanity, not just sportsmen.

Must be hard to bite your lip if your a player taking stick but they are always happy to take the plaudits. They should be fined for any spats they get into simple as that, it's a no no. They don't start rowing with fans at the stadium when they get the heat so why on there ? Perhaps they should just stick to one general comment on the matter then just leave it. You never know who's at the other end of the twitter thing so I don't know why they rise to it, just block abuse if you can't hack it.

That toerag at Blackpool should be sacked on the spot though.

When did Duffy slag fans off?

Last night he remains polite whilst answering questions.

What about the fans/people who sent football/etc players abusing messages/tweets then?

The Blackpool thing is a disgrace!!!

Thought you was ignoring me ?

Is it time to ban sports people from social media?

Just this weekend we have had Duffy slagging fans and the Blackpool commercial account calling fans w@@kers and assh@les.

Nope, because freedom of speech.

It's funny because people often comment on how today's footballers are detached from the average man, unlike in the bygone era when they would drop into the local and mingle with the fans, well perhaps Twitter is the modern day equivalent of that? It allows footballers to interact with fans in a casual way and seem more relatable, or conversely it can show their true colours (Bradley Orr, anyone?). Although I do think clubs should monitor player accounts and take disciplinary action for any gross misconduct.

That's my point .. I couldn't go on Twitter and slag my employer or customers but that's what Orr did and Duffy shouldn't be questioning fans opinions with put downs . There's some real retards like Fury and then there's controversial but entertaining ones like Barton.

Last season Gary Bowyer's daughter was abused on twitter by some ppl. Thats is totally unjustified.

footballers and their families are entitled to their private lives

Abuse on social media is something that needs to be addressed in entirety, by the companies with the software.

Last season Gary Bowyer's daughter was abused on twitter by some ppl. Thats is totally unjustified.

So was JAs, but people weren't quite so quick to condemn that!

That's my point .. I couldn't go on Twitter and slag my employer or customers but that's what Orr did and Duffy shouldn't be questioning fans opinions with put downs . There's some real retards like Fury and then there's controversial but entertaining ones like Barton.

I'm sure I've seen you bitch and moan about your employer on social media :P

Abuse on social media is something that needs to be addressed in entirety, by the companies with the software.

That's kinda like making the highway's agency responsible for bad driving. We have perfectly good laws for dealing with abuse (both online and off) and they are starting to be used for online abuse, it's just that people are too uninformed (I was going to say stupid) to understand the consequences.

This site alone is littered with thousands of examples of fans using social media to abuse players, club management, the owners, the manager, the referee, other clubs, other supporters, each other, the list is endless. Yet people get upset when a footballer behaves in the same way. I don't know what Duffy is alleged to have said , he would be well advised to post nothing, but it can hardly be thought surprising in the modern world.

I can't claim to have seen any part of the Twitter conversation but this was posted on here.

"Shane Duffy ‏@ShaneDuffy34 4h4 hours ago

@grrrzie17 don't know what your watching but we were comfortable out there you think no team are not gonna have chances ?"

With this response:

"a shiit footballer and ill educated too. My, we are scraping the barrel these days."

Funniest thing I've read this weekend and sums up so much. Perhaps being careful when using social media should apply to fans as well?

Correct but why would she say she was GB's daughter in the first place?

That's kinda like making the highway's agency responsible for bad driving. We have perfectly good laws for dealing with abuse (both online and off) and they are starting to be used for online abuse, it's just that people are too uninformed (I was going to say stupid) to understand the consequences.

I don't think it's unreasonable to include a ban on discussing football matters on social media in players contracts. Not only that Glenn but your line of reasoning precludes the influence of alcohol which imo is frequently the catalyst for awkward and embarrassing contributions.

btw How come none of our lot come on here to defend themselves? I don't want them to mind but why is twitter and facebook better than on here to discuss matters relating to BRFC?

How does someone who uses Twitter know if someone else is getting abusive Twits.

Do you have to stalk them or is the word used 'follow'.

I have met plenty of abusive Twits in the local Pubs - no need to go online.

I'm too old for all this crap - but the old saying of 'if you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen' comes to mind.

"footballer". Now that is funny in reference to Duffy !!

Why? That's rather a silly and immature comment PB. Rem he earns a living from playing football in a very competitive industry. I seem to recall a figure of only 1 in 7000 boys ever manage to become a professional footballer.

I think it comes with the job of working in football. They should expect some crtisism when performances aren't good. But some people do take it too far.

Jason Roberts blocked me on Twitter for suggesting that the reason he hadn't tweeted in a few days was because there was no wifi in Richard Dunne's pocket. (think this was after the "entries in the box" Kean game at Villa Park)

Correct but why would she say she was GB's daughter in the first place?

Like most they drop the name for the gain. But then squeal if the gain brings pain.

I've always shied away from Twitter....seems very dull and full of abuse from what I here

Plus I'm against it because I like to ignore everything Nicko related but his banal comments get spewed onto here by the twits*

* I seem to remember that was the name for twitter users....or is it twitterati?

• Moderation Lead

People use Twitterati, but I'd be more inclined to agree with your version Shaun!

Everything gets re-hashed in the news that's deemed significant, and anything Rovers-related is usually relayed on here, unfortunately that means I indirectly follow Nixon :rolleyes:

Archived