BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where For Holidays In These Dangerous Times?

• Backroom

I'll be back in Blighty for a week at Christmas. Does anyone have a recommendation for an overnight/2 day trip somewhere with nice winter scenes?

There's a beautiful hotel on the side of Lake Thirlmere, just 20mins or so drive from Keswick. Love it up there.

Me and Debs went to both places last year CLB. We drove across Texas on route West, loved the Rio Grande and Edwards plateau, ended up in Lubbock West Texas, famous for 2 things, Buddy Hollys birth place and sand storms ttgat regularly engulf the place like a Tsunami!

Brilliant GAV! We flew in to San Antonio but didn't spend any proper time there unfortunately.

I was a bit disappointed with the Rio Grande. I expected a river at least the size of the Thames in London but in reality you could virtually p!ss across to the other side in places! Damned hot as well but that was to be expected. Crossing the Chiuahahuan (sp?) desert was an experience as well. Bloody huge.

Brilliant GAV! We flew in to San Antonio but didn't spend any proper time there unfortunately.

I was a bit disappointed with the Rio Grande. I expected a river at least the size of the Thames in London but in reality you could virtually p!ss across to the other side in places! Damned hot as well but that was to be expected. Crossing the Chiuahahuan (sp?) desert was an experience as well. Bloody huge.

I had a bit of film on YouTube the other night. It was about a guy making a pilgrimage to the site of plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper and the pilot. It's completely in the middle of nowhere. There was one or two trinkets by the little memorial but some guy had left an Everton FC scarf by it.

Yes I know what you mean about the Rio Grande, at points it's nothing more than a trickle, it's those old westerns that are to blame!

We drove from Florida to the West coast, fantastic experience over 3 months, something we'll never forget.

Yeah, looking at the canaries as the alternative should sharm be a no go.

Cant do Lanzarote, the wife dad passed away there only in the last couple of years so a bit raw I think.

Fuertaventura looking ok though...

Had 4 nights in the Sheraton hotel in Fuertaventura in mid October.

Very nice hotel, would recommend it.

Sri Lanka is a good shout- mountains, beaches, wildlife, culture. Has everything. Very safe also in my opinion.

Japan amazing and very safe. Also the Yucatán is great. I know Mexico has its significant security problems at the moment but Yucatán is locked down and off the major drugs routes. Unbelievable beaches and water clarity, loads of turtles and sea life, great history with the Maya temples.

No matter where you go (outside of truly mega dangerous countries like Afganistan, Syria, Iraq, maybe Egypt and Israel) you are safe as long as you are sensible imo. Spent all of last year travelling Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia. Never felt in danger anywhre.

Sri Lanka is a good shout- mountains, beaches, wildlife, culture. Has everything. Very safe also in my opinion.

Japan amazing and very safe. Also the Yucatán is great. I know Mexico has its significant security problems at the moment but Yucatán is locked down and off the major drugs routes. Unbelievable beaches and water clarity, loads of turtles and sea life, great history with the Maya temples.

No matter where you go (outside of truly mega dangerous countries like Afganistan, Syria, Iraq, maybe Egypt and Israel) you are safe as long as you are sensible imo. Spent all of last year travelling Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia. Never felt in danger anywhre.

But have you been to Darren ^_^

But have you been to Darren ^_^

Yeah sorry, reading that back sounded a little boasty... Didn't mean it like that. More meant that dangers around travelling are almost universally exaggerated.

Your diet and driving the roads are far more likely to kill you than a plane crash or a run in with a terrorist or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived