BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where For Holidays In These Dangerous Times?

I used to go trekking in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco until 2 years ago when the cafe we sat at was bombed two weeks later (very same seats we sat on) and 2 were killed.

I used to go diving in the Red Sea but would not touch it with a barge poll any more.

We used to go to Israel every year but the country is beset with stabbings and shooting.

We still do NYC and also Madeira every year and still regard these as relatively safe.

India and Sri Lanka for 2016 have just been crossed off the proposed holiday list.

Apart from regular weekends in the UK and a week in mid-Wales we are struggling to find safe destinations.

Any ideas?

I'm off to Nicaragua and Costa Rica on Friday Mike - I'll let you know how I get on!

Why just New York? Personally I find a number of destinations in the US better than NYC. For example Boston, Chicago, San Diego and especially San Fransisco. I also really liked Portland Oregon two years and the rest of Oregon state. Then there's the whole of Canada (well maybe not the middle bit).

Then there's the whole of western Europe and most of the east. Australia and New Zealand?

Where? Most of the world avoiding a few obvious hot spots and airlines. Sensible precautions nothing more.

I've no time for worrying about terrorism as I could get blown apart in Manchester, Milan, Madrid or Marakesh.

• Backroom

Where? Most of the world avoiding a few obvious hot spots and airlines. Sensible precautions nothing more.

I've no time for worrying about terrorism as I could get blown apart in Manchester, Milan, Madrid or Marakesh.

Or you could walk under a lorry any minute. Exactly, no point worrying too much.

Why cross off Sri Lanka - its a cracking place to visit, and never seen any hint of trouble on both occasions i've visited.

Like everywhere, its got its rough areas that you wouldnt want to be anywhere near at night, but you can say the same about Barbados, Antigua, Turkey, Vegas, Accrington or anywhere.

I'm off to Nicaragua and Costa Rica on Friday Mike - I'll let you know how I get on!

Why just New York? Personally I find a number of destinations in the US better than NYC. For example Boston, Chicago, San Diego and especially San Fransisco. I also really liked Portland Oregon two years and the rest of Oregon state. Then there's the whole of Canada (well maybe not the middle bit).

Then there's the whole of western Europe and most of the east. Australia and New Zealand?

Sounds wonderful o2g. A friend went bird watching in Costa Ricsa and loved it.

I did Boston last year as I was on a course at Harvard; the missus came over to join me for a week. Will probably do Chicago this coming year.

Loved Portland, Seattle and further up the coast to Vancouver Island and the San Juan Islands whale watching.

I did like North Africa and the Middle East but this is completely no go for us now.

Have a good one.....Mike.

Get yourself over to Springdale in Utah, just 2hr drive from Vegas.

Some absolutely stunning walks/hikes Mike, we stayed here for 5 days:

http://www.harvesthouse.net/

Great place right on the edge of zion national park, some great micro beers from the area but beware, you can only buy a beer with food, I've never eaten some many nachos in my life :lol:

We hope to get over next June, simply stunning pal it really is.

If you love hiking / outdoors activities would def recommend New Zealand, fly to Auckland, get a 4x4 hire and work you way down the North Island, Need a good couple of weeks at least or if your slightly mad / thrill seeker type head straight to South Island :) lots of activities down that way .

Whichever Island both are stunning

If you love hiking / outdoors activities would def recommend New Zealand, fly to Auckland, get a 4x4 hire and work you way down the North Island, Need a good couple of weeks at least or if your slightly mad / thrill seeker type head straight to South Island :) lots of activities down that way .

Whichever Island both are stunning

That's the big retirement trip - 6 weeks next Feb/March now that my wife has retired.

That's the big retirement trip - 6 weeks next Feb/March now that my wife has retired.

That's probably an ideal amount of time so many places to visit, are you planning on going to both islands? , hopefully going back there in 2017 want to do the Northern Explorer train journey

http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz/northern-explorer

• Backroom

That new Premier Inn in Blackburn looks nice, views of the historic boulevard and that halfway house as well!

My dads off to Hurghada this week - not too sure about that but some people worry more than others and some just go and hope for the best.

We've done Egypt before and enjoyed it but wouldn't even consider it now with a 4 year old and one on the way.

We've postponed next years Disneyworld trip due to the impending Nipper but will be back in 2017 but even a place like that could be a target and a risk.

Did Kos this summer and that had the refugee situation but didn't feel unsafe - wasn't a huge fan of if mind. The wife went to NYC in February and I was a bit on edge whilst she was there but only the same as I often get a tiny niggling feeling anytime I'm on the underground, just bad association.

That's probably an ideal amount of time so many places to visit, are you planning on going to both islands? , hopefully going back there in 2017 want to do the Northern Explorer train journey

http://www.kiwirailscenic.co.nz/northern-explorer

We are going to both islands, although only spending the first week and the last two days on the North and 31 days on the South. You might think in 6 weeks you could see everything but we couldn't fit in Northland the Coromandel or Stewart Island into the plan and we are missing out Rotorua by choice.

We are going to both islands, although only spending the first week and the last two days on the North and 31 days on the South. You might think in 6 weeks you could see everything but we couldn't fit in Northland the Coromandel or Stewart Island into the plan and we are missing out Rotorua by choice.

Some great scenery around there and you get accustomed to the smell after a day :) but the buried village is so , so , the geothermal park is quite good though. Presume you will be in Auckland at some point can highly recommend the Auckland War Museum if it is not already on your itinerary. We did a three week north Island and a two week south island on different occasions and we both are still keen on going back to visit places we missed and revisit others.

My two favourite countries, Switzerland and Norway. Both just a tad expensive but ideal for walking/trekking if you're into that. Stunning vistas in both places as well. In Noway I've crewed a yacht around the Lofoten Islands within the Arctic Circle, been walking in the Hardanger area east of Bergen and also had city type breaks in Bergen and Oslo. I've done similar stuff in Switzerland. Zurich, Luzern and Bern are beautiful cities with very Germanic old towns. The Alps speak for themselves and a great trip is to go, by train, to the top of the Jungfrau, pausing en route to stare down the north face of the Eiger, it's surreal.

I was in Texas this April spending around five days each in Big Bend National Park and Edwards Plateau. The Big Bend refers to a bend in the Rio Grande which forms the border between Texas and Mexico, cowboy type scenery and a 7000 ft mountain range. Edwards Plateau is around 4000 ft high and a huge plateau of very green, rolling countryside with woodland and rivers. Both areas totally unexpected as I thought Texas was all flat farmland with ranches etc.

Me and the wife are waiting on news of our Sharm holiday.

Due to fly on the 28th for my birthday and our 1st wedding anniversary.

Flights being cancelled as far as 25th at present and I expect till end of the year to follow as time passes.

Not sure what we are going to do now as feel like I'm just settling for anything thats available.

Need some sun as worked hard all year without a break.

Not inspired by what I'm looking at.

Probably got £1200/£1500 to use for holiday if its cancelled.

Preston B try this one:

Fly to Perth WA, buy perthblue a beer,

spend a couple of days down in the Margaret River area, taste some of the worlds best wines....

fly to Uluru, four days there, see the Rock, and Kata juta, go to Kings Canyon, back to Uluru and have dinner in the middle of the desert.

fly to Cairns, spend four or five days snorkeling the reef, maybe a bit of scuba to. get up to the tablelands, great spots up there, then...

Maybe NZ, Christchurch, yep they've had an earthquake, but this place is sensational, get out to Queeenstown, Wanaka, Milford or Doubtful Sounds, places that are just, well you have to see it.

Then, up to Hong Kong/Singapore for a bit of retail therapy, and home

Me and the wife are waiting on news of our Sharm holiday.

Due to fly on the 28th for my birthday and our 1st wedding anniversary.

Flights being cancelled as far as 25th at present and I expect till end of the year to follow as time passes.

Not sure what we are going to do now as feel like I'm just settling for anything thats available.

Need some sun as worked hard all year without a break.

Not inspired by what I'm looking at.

Probably got £1200/£1500 to use for holiday if its cancelled.

Canaries? You can get 5* all inclusive in Lanzarote for that money.

Depends if you are a sole traveller or have family to pay for too...I love Japan. been twice in CherryBlossomSeason and Late Autumn..Dont forget the rail pass whatever you do....Recomend Kyoto and Hirosima and the island just off that..Best timefor Fuji is Spring..Can be cloudy ...So much to do and see thats different.there..

Canaries? You can get 5* all inclusive in Lanzarote for that money.

Yeah, looking at the canaries as the alternative should sharm be a no go.

Cant do Lanzarote, the wife dad passed away there only in the last couple of years so a bit raw I think.

Fuertaventura looking ok though...

I was in Texas this April spending around five days each in Big Bend National Park and Edwards Plateau. The Big Bend refers to a bend in the Rio Grande which forms the border between Texas and Mexico, cowboy type scenery and a 7000 ft mountain range. Edwards Plateau is around 4000 ft high and a huge plateau of very green, rolling countryside with woodland and rivers. Both areas totally unexpected as I thought Texas was all flat farmland with ranches etc.

Me and Debs went to both places last year CLB. We drove across Texas on route West, loved the Rio Grande and Edwards plateau, ended up in Lubbock West Texas, famous for 2 things, Buddy Hollys birth place and sand storms ttgat regularly engulf the place like a Tsunami!

Archived