BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is This The Dourest Period In The Clubs History?

I just think it is time to get over the events of 2010-13 and look forward to the future. Constant references to Kean/Berg/Appleton/Bowyer are pointless now. I don't really see what else Venkys can do at this juncture. They've shut up, they keep away from Ewood, they keep signing the cheques when most would have given up, and now they have delivered the management team most craved since Allardyce left. All the indications at this point - Lambert's arrival and embargo lifting - point towards having a good go at things moving forward.

How long does the constant talk about the past continue? It's gone. Done. Keep thinking about it and talking about it is going to hold us back. Birmingham are still owned by a man in prison in Hong Kong who was responsible for their drop from the Premier League. I don't see their supporters keep going on about it. They've rallied behind their manager and are reaping the rewards. Leeds fans have had the decade from hell which continues to this day with the Cellino madness, yet their supporters still turn up in droves and are ambitious for the future.

Sooner rather than later a line has to be drawn. Venkys aren't going anywhere and to be honest I don't want them to, because if things are bad now believe me they will get a lot worse without the bills being paid. We have to make the most of what we have. Hopefully we will survive this season and if we do I will be more optimistic for next season than I have been since 2010 as I will be confident that with some decent signings and investment of the Rhodes money, along with a full pre-season for Lambert and Irvine, will see a major improvement next season.

Next season 3 teams will go up. Why can't we be one of them? Burnley did it, Middlesbrough are close to doing it, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are up there. There's absolutely no reason why with some sensible signings we can't do the same. However if everyone keeps going on about 2010 and telling themselves we aren't worthy and are destined for an eternity in the lower divisions then as in the 70's and 80's that's probably what will happen.

Fair points although each other club mentioned has their own scenario going on. Brum were worse than us now but Rowett went in and got instant results and dragged them up the table so people naturally stick behind him, for now. Go on any Brum forum etc and the debate and criticism rages daily about their behind the scenes problems. It's just stopped manifesting itself in the stands on matchdays. It'll be back as soon as there is a bad run.

Leeds had according to some of theirs had less than 15k home fans actually in the ground v Boro and all the ones in the ground did all night was shout abuse at Cellino. Wolves fans got panned on radio Lancs after the Preston game at home for being on their players backs from the off.

I get sick and tired of the digs towards our own fans from our own fans when it comes to the subject of owners as if every other fanbase with problems acts like their owners/team/manager are the messiahs. Our lot get away with it very lightly indeed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it is time to get over the events of 2010-13 and look forward to the future. Constant references to Kean/Berg/Appleton/Bowyer are pointless now. I don't really see what else Venkys can do at this juncture. They've shut up, they keep away from Ewood, they keep signing the cheques when most would have given up, and now they have delivered the management team most craved since Allardyce left. All the indications at this point - Lambert's arrival and embargo lifting - point towards having a good go at things moving forward.

How long does the constant talk about the past continue? It's gone. Done. Keep thinking about it and talking about it is going to hold us back. Birmingham are still owned by a man in prison in Hong Kong who was responsible for their drop from the Premier League. I don't see their supporters keep going on about it. They've rallied behind their manager and are reaping the rewards. Leeds fans have had the decade from hell which continues to this day with the Cellino madness, yet their supporters still turn up in droves and are ambitious for the future.

Sooner rather than later a line has to be drawn. Venkys aren't going anywhere and to be honest I don't want them to, because if things are bad now believe me they will get a lot worse without the bills being paid. We have to make the most of what we have. Hopefully we will survive this season and if we do I will be more optimistic for next season than I have been since 2010 as I will be confident that with some decent signings and investment of the Rhodes money, along with a full pre-season for Lambert and Irvine, will see a major improvement next season.

Next season 3 teams will go up. Why can't we be one of them? Burnley did it, Middlesbrough are close to doing it, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are up there. There's absolutely no reason why with some sensible signings we can't do the same. However if everyone keeps going on about 2010 and telling themselves we aren't worthy and are destined for an eternity in the lower divisions then as in the 70's and 80's that's probably what will happen.

I'd rather them die a million deaths than stay .

VENKYSCUM OUT

The club won't build with them . We may have a better chance with lambert but they don't give a crap .

So when does the period stop? How much time has to go by before people stop talking about Kean and relegation in 2012? We're nearly at 4 years and we've gone through 4 managers since.

Does it stop when Venkys finally leave? Because there's no doubt in my mind if they left tomorrow and stopped their funding barring a miracle we'd be following Bolton into League One and selling club assets like Brockhall to generate funds. Investors won't be queuing round the block to buy a loss making club that can only get 11,000 fans in an FA Cup game.

Some people say they'd take League One or Two if it meant Venkys departed, yet I imagine that only applies if we swiftly rebuilt and returned to the Premier League within a few years. A prolonged period in the lower leagues and the 'malaise' would continue, just with different owners and reasons, as less people will pay to watch us mixing it with Accy Stanley and Barnet.

I don't like Venkys. Birmingham fans don't like Yeung, Leeds fans don't like Cellino, Charlton fans don't like Deuchatelet, Wolves fans aren't very happy with Morgan. What can I do about that? Spend the rest of my life complaining about it? Or accept that's where we are at, realise things could be even worse, and hope that Lambert and Irvine turn it around?

We got relegated FOUR YEARS AGO. We all know why it happened and none of us like it. The only way to erase that properly is to get back up, and the only way that will happen is if the supporters stick with the club and back the manager.

Blame the fans just like Kean did then

I don't understand the 'I'd take being in League 2 if Venky's left' argument.

You could make the argument the club would have more of its soul behind the scenes, but that certainly wouldn't translate to matchdays. Imagine 7,000 fans on a Tuesday night vs Crewe/Newport.

We wouldn't see the support Pompey get, that I'm sure of. Perhaps a controversial point, but Venky's being a reason for many stay-aways is a convenient excuse in my opinion.

blame the fans ?

Before you make that claim I suggest you pass it on to certain "connected" fans like Kamy for instance. Really need to back up something that serious.

Aston Villa have been boring for some long and ironically its probably more interesting at AV now than in many years. I don't think not wanting the club to be "boring" means you want complete and utter turmoil though. Right now the only thing I really want is promotion then the club need to try and come up with some exciting ideas. As the club isn't likely to win the Premier League in the foreseeable future you really need a gimmick. Some people just want a "proper football club" but does that have to mean the same as "boring football club?" As much as I would like Rovers to be in the Premier League clubs like West Brom aren't exactly captivating. Most would take that over the present situation of course but isn't entertainment part of football?

That's kinda why I proposed something as insane as Maradona for manager before Venkys did. If there were enough safeguards so it wouldn't end in financial ruin why not look "outside the box?"

I think you will find I don't need to back up anything, as I stated it was a passing comment, not passing it off as my own opinion. Not sure why I would need to pass it onto a fan? Think the contacts I have gained through my line of work are more reliable (no offence to the mentioned poster). I think I will stick to my own contacts, thank you.

Would also refer you back to this and your indirect accusations. http://www.brfcc.com/mb/index.php/topic/15391-vinjays-latest-rant/ -

I'd rather them die a million deaths than stay .

VENKYSCUM OUT

The club won't build with them . We may have a better chance with lambert but they don't give a crap .

Blame the fans just like Kean did then

blame the fans ?

I'm not blaming the fans at all - I just don't believe some (and by no means all) are staying away from Ewood because of Venkys. Some (and I'm keen to stress that it doesn't apply to all) use the Venky's as their reasoning for not attending, when I believe it's more down to the substandard quality of both our football and the opposition. I would hazard a guess that a lot of the 'not going until Venky's leave' made an exception for the Liverpool game.

We saw it with the 'I'm not returning until Kean's gone' group. Some have been true to their word, but a lot haven't come back, and attendances have continued to decline. Venky's were arguably at their maddest (or at least close to it) in 2011-2012, but we still had vastly higher attendances than we do now. You could argue that fans didn't know what was to come, but I'd make a case that Premier League survival that year wouldn't have seen the same drop off as relegation did.

And yes, the reason we are a league below is due to Venky's, but I don't believe a lot of those fans would return if Venky's left and we were relegated again.

Fair points although each other club mentioned has their own scenario going on. Brum were worse than us now but Rowett went in and got instant results and dragged them up the table so people naturally stick behind him, for now. Go on any Brum forum etc and the debate and criticism rages daily about their behind the scenes problems. It's just stopped manifesting itself in the stands on matchdays. It'll be back as soon as there is a bad run.

Leeds had according to some of theirs had less than 15k home fans actually in the ground v Boro and all the ones in the ground did all night was shout abuse at Cellino. Wolves fans got panned on radio Lancs after the Preston game at home for being on their players backs from the off.

I get sick and tired of the digs towards our own fans from our own fans when it comes to the subject of owners as if every other fanbase with problems acts like their owners/team/manager are the messiahs. Our lot get away with it very lightly indeed.

I suppose one thing it does show though is that if you get the right manager then issues around ownership can quickly become peripheral issues and if the results are good then people will be much happier.

We aren't alone in having inept/clueless owners. I just think that sometimes rather than keep complaining about it all the time we need to try and do our best despite it try to move forward with a positive outlook rather than keep discussing what happened 4 years ago. As Birmingham for one have shown, poor ownership/finances doesn't necessarily prevent improvement on the pitch.

Is it any wonder this is where we are now at, after Gary Bowyer yearned after 'stability' for 3 years - constantly reminding the fans that patience and stability were a thing to be strived for. Now, I realise that things needed to settle somewhat on a staffing level, but our whole club's ethos has been doused in malaise. It's been rammed down people's throats for 3 years. There is no ambition remaining, no desire, no 'thinking big'. Let's just sit on our thumbs and be good boys cause we're lucky to have Venky's servicing the debts. Thankfully, Paul Lambert doesn't seem to subscribe to this, and I'm hopiong that we'll see a full overhaul of the playing staff in the summer, becasue one thing os for sure - this lot aren't up to it by a long way!

The only thing that will ever keep a lid on it is what happens on the pitch and until this ownership at least makes a proper effort at restoring what they've totally ruined then it won't go away. The summer will be the biggest test yet of their tenure, come up short on that and I think it really will be curtains for them and us.

It's been a toxic relationship from almost day 1 or certainly from when the clown prince was put in charge and toxic relationships hardly ever end well.

Thank you for another reasoned and well thought out reply!

Your welcome .. I won't be ignoring or forgetting anything the lunes have done .

The only thing that will ever keep a lid on it is what happens on the pitch and until this ownership at least makes a proper effort at restoring what they've totally ruined then it won't go away. The summer will be the biggest test yet of their tenure, come up short on that and I think it really will be curtains for them and us.

It's been a toxic relationship from almost day 1 or certainly from when the clown prince was put in charge and toxic relationships hardly ever end well.

From the the moment dumb and dumber walked on the pitch for the first time . It was obvious they were clueless.

Your welcome .. I won't be ignoring or forgetting anything the lunes have done .

From the the moment dumb and dumber walked on the pitch for the first time . It was obvious they were clueless.

That wasn't my point. I know the damage they have caused.

My entire point was that I don't believe a Venky's exit would culminate in the fans returning (as many have said). There may be a short term boost, but not if we fall down a league or two.

Like you, I rue the day they decided to buy Blackburn Rovers.

Fair enough .. I know plenty who will return once the stains leave

Some definitely would, but I'm not convinced by a lot due to hearing all the same things about Kean. There was a brief (and still pretty minor) upsurge v Wolves the next week, but we soon reverted to type. Maybe the managerial merry-go-round and poor performances didn't help, but it was still underwhelming.

I think on the pitch success is key to bringing the fans back.

Back to the original question: no it isn't. The period from '66 to '73 was just awful, tumbling down two full divisions and going from players like Mike Ferguson to John O'Mara, Eamonn Rogers to Barry Endean, and being 19th in the old 3rd division at one point. Also the Saxton era was dire, our only ambition was to not go back to the third again. However, both those periods showed you are only ever a good manager away from better days. I thought the Full Members cup final was a dream come true and a day the likes of which we would never see again. I think people forget the sheer hopelessness of most of those times.

I know the FA Cup isn't what it was but in the last 4 years we have been to the 5th round twice and 6th round once. In my first 20 years of following the club I think saw us in the 5th round 3 times, losing limply in all 3!

The last five years have without a doubt been the most disheartening, demoralising, depressing years of my fifty odd years watching our team. Tie that in with the decline of the National team and I must say I've never been more disinterested in Football since I was about eight years old.

If the habit wasn't so thoroughly engrained I'd have found another interest by now.

Even back in the late 80's when I was just about getting old enough to go by me sen there are games that still stick in the mind. Beating Forest in t'cup, a couple of 5-4's, the Leicester 3-3, tonking City 4-0, the seemingly incessant obsession of the draw balls with Oxford in the cup, getting battered at Plough Lane......but in 20 years will any game from the last 5 years stick in the memory?

Think the late 60s and the 70s until Ken Furphy arrived were more grim.

Jim Iley's short managerial period was the bottom of the barrel.

We had an average attendance of 5,800 in 1985 and then 25,500 ten years later.

Certainly have more 'money' than any year prior to Uncle Jack.

It is the hope what kills you!

That bloody Video of just 14 years ago has ruined my day!!

On the memory stickers I can't think of any for football reasons apart from beating Arsenal away in FA cup. Apart from that the 3-3 at Wolves to delay the inevitable and the Dunny equaliser v the scruffs are the absolute only big deal things I can think off. The rest has been utter trash or absolute monotony with a sprinkling of the odd decent performance but only against bog standard opposition.

Fair enough .. I know plenty who will return once the stains leave

It's interesting what's happened to Cardiff's home support since the new owner started playing silly buggars with their club, despite a pretty

good home record this season of, W 8 D 7 L 1, the gates are down to 13/14 thousand.

I would wager, if he sold to someone who understands British football they'd be back up to 19/20k in no time.

Don't want to nitpick or anything but I find this venkys funding us quite alarming.

The funding is simply debt ( I'm guessing 80m give or take a few mil ) which at some point needs to be paid, or am I missing something??

I pray that Lambert is given 10-15m to strengthen the playing squad in the summer but my gut says it ain't going to happen.

Anyhow It is what it is, we are where we are, hopefully summer will be the turning point and we can start afresh.

Think the late 60s and the 70s until Ken Furphy arrived were more grim.

Jim Iley's short managerial period was the bottom of the barrel.

We had an average attendance of 5,800 in 1985 and then 25,500 ten years later.

Certainly have more 'money' than any year prior to Uncle Jack.

It is the hope what kills you!

That bloody Video of just 14 years ago has ruined my day!!

This picture won't help your day either. Guess the date.

20160224_170637.jpg

I appreciate the responses. Interesting what has been said about the 66-74 period, and likewise the early 80s. I've just never known a third consecutive league season end in January. I've pretty much decided I am not bothering with any more away games for the remainder of the season as we have nothing to play for.

Would love to be in PNE's position at the minute, charging towards the play offs. Lamberts first win seems a long time ago!

Don't want to nitpick or anything but I find this venkys funding us quite alarming.

The funding is simply debt ( I'm guessing 80m give or take a few mil ) which at some point needs to be paid, or am I missing something??

I pray that Lambert is given 10-15m to strengthen the playing squad in the summer but my gut says it ain't going to happen.

Anyhow It is what it is, we are where we are, hopefully summer will be the turning point and we can start afresh.

We'll probably only find that out when Venkys finally roll out of Town, and some dodgy Indian Bank comes looking for its rupees.

Archived