BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is This The Dourest Period In The Clubs History?

This will be the fourth consecutive season of nothingness in the championship. Barring a relatively brief flirtation with relegation in the first season, we have had nothing to play for from about January onwards in the previous two seasons. This season effectively ended this time last week with a win over Fulham moving us clear of relegation.

I know some of the older posters like to pontificate that the younger generation have been spoilt with years of premier league football. However are there posters on here who can actually recall a more dreary and boring period in the clubs history?

A look back at the clubs end of season positions, certainly in the last 45 years, would suggest we are currently in the most dour period. Prior to the premier league period we had a pretty dire season in 90-91 under Mackay. However before that we finished in the play offs on three occasions; I was only 4-5 at the time, my dad had just started to take me and I remember they were exciting times.

The Saxton Era was before my time but we finished 5th and 6th respectively in the 2nd division.

Prior to this is the Kendall era, exciting times as were happily recollected following his recent passing. Even a couple of seasons before in 74-75 was a promotion from the 3rd division under Gordon Lee; my dad still talks about this season nowadays.

I then concede there appears to be a bit of a dark cloud in the late 60s following relegation from the top flight into the early 70s, albeit there was a 3rd place finish in division 3 in the early 70s.

I appreciate it isn't quite Rochdale who had 30 odd consecutive seasons in the 4th division. However it has been an awful period and the interest amongst fans is waning, as demonstrated in the plummeting attendances.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if it ranks along side the rancour of the Wembley ticket era, but its the worst of my Rovers days.

Things weren't great in the 80's money wise, attendances were regularly sub 10k. But for all that there was a sense

of united in adversity and supporters felt connected to the Club.

Today we have poor quality football and uncertainty about finances, but the real problem is the disconnect between the Club/Venkys and the supporters. Its like a cancer at the heart of the Club.

This needs to be addressed as much as footballing matters.

If it carries on a few more years then it has to be up there however if we do end up following the Blackpool/Bolton model then it could end up being the worst. Being boring in the middle of a division year on year is one thing but we have mostly got worse season after season since we all know when.

I saw most of the Saxton era but was too young to really appreciate the grand scheme of things, I thought it was good because I just enjoyed going but I didn't know any different not having watched must footy before I first set foot on Ewood.

The worst I've seen was the 90-91 season and I'd say now is on a par with that for sure, worse in some ways as there was still a bit of affinity between some players and the fans. It was however just after some good times even though it ended in disappointment. Then what followed was the stuff of dreams.

So for me personally I'd have to say this is the most miserable uninteresting period I've ever known :blink:

What worries me is some stinking rumours that seem to be getting stronger. Around a month ago a colleague of mine was privy to some info that came from an employee of the club that some staff hadn't been paid. Didn't think much of it, but last two weeks and tonight I've been working on Prestons games, spoke to someone last week who mentioned that shaw had left rovers as he knew what was coming (no money left), then tonight and comment from someone at Preston (not knowing I'm a rovers fan) saying its a shame for rovers fans as it won't be long before they follow Bolton, as they aren't paying some of their staff at the moment. Going to do some more digging with this.

Could have just been a strategy to force shelf out, especially if someone had an eye on his role :rock:

Anyway I'm not sure I'd take that much notice of anything that comes from the Preston direction. Not with a possibly bitter ex employee who's a huge knobber on the loose !

Yes in the clubs history there have been dreary, boring and frustrating periods with the end result being very very unhappy fans but that happens with most clubs and the fans live on hope that it will change which in most cases it does.

The difference here is that everything is compounded by the stupid owners with their isolation not just in distance but in their almost secretive and exclusive (to the fans) attitude. From afar they have wreaked havoc on Rovers tearing down its infrastructure bit by bit until only a shadow of the club remains. Every problem currently existing at the club including the rubbish being dished up on the field week after week is due to the actions of the clueless so called owners, in fact referring to them as owners is more than they deserve as they have no idea how to behave like owners.

That is my own personal opinion and in answer to the original question of this thread I have to say yes this is the "Dourest" period in the clubs history at least in my lifetime and the sad thing is it could all have been avoided with different owners.

What worries me is some stinking rumours that seem to be getting stronger. Around a month ago a colleague of mine was privy to some info that came from an employee of the club that some staff hadn't been paid. Didn't think much of it, but last two weeks and tonight I've been working on Prestons games, spoke to someone last week who mentioned that shaw had left rovers as he knew what was coming (no money left), then tonight and comment from someone at Preston (not knowing I'm a rovers fan) saying its a shame for rovers fans as it won't be long before they follow Bolton, as they aren't paying some of their staff at the moment. Going to do some more digging with this.

Before you make that claim I suggest you pass it on to certain "connected" fans like Kamy for instance. Really need to back up something that serious.

Aston Villa have been boring for some long and ironically its probably more interesting at AV now than in many years. I don't think not wanting the club to be "boring" means you want complete and utter turmoil though. Right now the only thing I really want is promotion then the club need to try and come up with some exciting ideas. As the club isn't likely to win the Premier League in the foreseeable future you really need a gimmick. Some people just want a "proper football club" but does that have to mean the same as "boring football club?" As much as I would like Rovers to be in the Premier League clubs like West Brom aren't exactly captivating. Most would take that over the present situation of course but isn't entertainment part of football?

That's kinda why I proposed something as insane as Maradona for manager before Venkys did. If there were enough safeguards so it wouldn't end in financial ruin why not look "outside the box?"

Good topic David Brent. Your original post seems to focus on points and league positions. However, if your intention was to put forward an argument for this being the most turgid period in terms of general entertainment, excitement etc I think there is a strong case to justify that it is. As you say, we've had a very flat 4 years since relegation, and that is despite two or three good cup runs and games against the top premier league teams - hell, we even won at Arsenal in the FA Cup but somehow even that still felt a little flat. I've found that so many home games in the league have blended into one I can barely remember many of them.

The good times are also still fresh in the memory (and I include the Allardyce years) which doesn't really help. Nor does having absentee and unpredictable owners

I don't think you can evidence a definitive answer to your question, but certainly in my time of watching Rovers (since 1970) I can't remember a more sustained flat/turgid period.

I live in hope that once PL has developed his own side and playing style, we might start to see an upturn.

As a fan of more than 30 years I think it's safe to say the last 5 years has been one big nightmare.

I was there during the 80's when we didn't have a pot to pi55 in and buckets were passed around to collect money for repairs to the riverside.

This just seems different. I still regularly attend both home and away but I can't stand what these people have done. We can blame Kean JA and the rest all we want but at the end of the day it's venkys name over the door.

Season after season our playing squad is plundered with inadequate replacements brought in, they don't communicate or attend.

I'll carry on going to games but I have to say these 'owners' have well and truly killed the passion I once had for the club.

As a fan of more than 30 years I think it's safe to say the last 5 years has been one big nightmare.

I was there during the 80's when we didn't have a pot to pi55 in and buckets were passed around to collect money for repairs to the riverside.

This just seems different. I still regularly attend both home and away but I can't stand what these people have done. We can blame Kean JA and the rest all we want but at the end of the day it's venkys name over the door.

Season after season our playing squad is plundered with inadequate replacements brought in, they don't communicate or attend.

I'll carry on going to games but I have to say these 'owners' have well and truly killed the passion I once had for the club.

correct

Yes it is in my time. However the only hope I can cling to is that Lambert is no mug and I expect we will see a much improved season next time round. That dailymail (was it?) artical about spending in the summer was worrying, it sounded like a bit of a threat, spend or I'm off.

I liken the present period to that of the late sixties when players were sold and eventually it led to relegation and four seasons in the Third Division - which was grim to say the least. I don't feel as despondent at the moment as I did then but the summer will be the make or break point for me. If money is made available to strengthen the squad with quality there will be hope for a brighter future - if not that I fear League One awaits.

It's definitely the worst period in our history, not sure about the dullest. We have gone from a mid-table top flight team to a lower end 2nd division during a period when with a bit of sensible management a club like us could have cemented our place in the PL long term. Probably not end end of our demise by any means either so doubt the next few years will be dull as this rudderless ship crashes into the rocks of the lower leagues.p

On paper it's not the worst, however as McClarky says, for me it is the most frustrating, as to go down in 2012, only 4 years before a TV deal kicks in that will transform every PL club into one of the world's richest 25 clubs just makes me despair.

All avoidable and the events of 2010-2012 will shape this club, for possibly decades to come.

I just think it is time to get over the events of 2010-13 and look forward to the future. Constant references to Kean/Berg/Appleton/Bowyer are pointless now. I don't really see what else Venkys can do at this juncture. They've shut up, they keep away from Ewood, they keep signing the cheques when most would have given up, and now they have delivered the management team most craved since Allardyce left. All the indications at this point - Lambert's arrival and embargo lifting - point towards having a good go at things moving forward.

How long does the constant talk about the past continue? It's gone. Done. Keep thinking about it and talking about it is going to hold us back. Birmingham are still owned by a man in prison in Hong Kong who was responsible for their drop from the Premier League. I don't see their supporters keep going on about it. They've rallied behind their manager and are reaping the rewards. Leeds fans have had the decade from hell which continues to this day with the Cellino madness, yet their supporters still turn up in droves and are ambitious for the future.

Sooner rather than later a line has to be drawn. Venkys aren't going anywhere and to be honest I don't want them to, because if things are bad now believe me they will get a lot worse without the bills being paid. We have to make the most of what we have. Hopefully we will survive this season and if we do I will be more optimistic for next season than I have been since 2010 as I will be confident that with some decent signings and investment of the Rhodes money, along with a full pre-season for Lambert and Irvine, will see a major improvement next season.

Next season 3 teams will go up. Why can't we be one of them? Burnley did it, Middlesbrough are close to doing it, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham are up there. There's absolutely no reason why with some sensible signings we can't do the same. However if everyone keeps going on about 2010 and telling themselves we aren't worthy and are destined for an eternity in the lower divisions then as in the 70's and 80's that's probably what will happen.

Totally agree JH. Somebody has to pick up the tab and at the moment it is the owners. We certainly aren't going to pay our way with income from the gate that's for sure. The past is the past. We can't change it no matter how much we might want to. Of course it was absolutely tragic the way we threw away our Premier League place with an untried manager and untried players but, no matter how much we rage against it, we can't change it. Whilst I may have some nagging doubts about Lambert - which were reinforced at the weekend - there have been games like Middlesbrough and Fulham when I came away full of optimism. As in life, dwelling on the past is a pointless and destructive exercise. The future is where we need to focus and hope that the owners and the manager can come up with the goods in the summer to take us forwards.

So when does the period stop? How much time has to go by before people stop talking about Kean and relegation in 2012? We're nearly at 4 years and we've gone through 4 managers since.

Does it stop when Venkys finally leave? Because there's no doubt in my mind if they left tomorrow and stopped their funding barring a miracle we'd be following Bolton into League One and selling club assets like Brockhall to generate funds. Investors won't be queuing round the block to buy a loss making club that can only get 11,000 fans in an FA Cup game.

Some people say they'd take League One or Two if it meant Venkys departed, yet I imagine that only applies if we swiftly rebuilt and returned to the Premier League within a few years. A prolonged period in the lower leagues and the 'malaise' would continue, just with different owners and reasons, as less people will pay to watch us mixing it with Accy Stanley and Barnet.

I don't like Venkys. Birmingham fans don't like Yeung, Leeds fans don't like Cellino, Charlton fans don't like Deuchatelet, Wolves fans aren't very happy with Morgan. What can I do about that? Spend the rest of my life complaining about it? Or accept that's where we are at, realise things could be even worse, and hope that Lambert and Irvine turn it around?

We got relegated FOUR YEARS AGO. We all know why it happened and none of us like it. The only way to erase that properly is to get back up, and the only way that will happen is if the supporters stick with the club and back the manager.

I don't understand the 'I'd take being in League 2 if Venky's left' argument.

You could make the argument the club would have more of its soul behind the scenes, but that certainly wouldn't translate to matchdays. Imagine 7,000 fans on a Tuesday night vs Crewe/Newport.

We wouldn't see the support Pompey get, that I'm sure of. Perhaps a controversial point, but Venky's being a reason for many stay-aways is a convenient excuse in my opinion.

Archived