BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eu Referendum, In Or Out - Looks Like Blackburn Wants Out !

How will you vote on June 23rd  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or Leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got some more on this other than the parliamentary notes document? I would like to read more.

Found this (written before June 23):

Britain's exit from the EU, Prof Douglas-Scott says, would require the repeal of legislation such as the European Communities Act, the mechanism by which EU law is brought into the body of UK law. But a big complication is that the ECA and other primary legislation implementing EU laws are incorporated directly into the devolution statutes in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Scotland Act 1998 states that acts of the Scottish Parliament which are not compatible with EU legislation are “not law”. Similar provisions exist in the Government of Wales Act and the Northern Ireland Act.

“If the UK government insists that powers repatriated from Brussels go to Westminster [after a vote to leave the EU], this could set Westminster and Holyrood on a collision course,” said Andrew Scott, professor of European Union Studies at the University of Edinburgh.

For instance, control over agriculture and fisheries policy, handed to Scotland at the time devolution was enacted because the EU was assumed to have responsibility in this area, would “default” to Scotland in the event of Brexit, Prof Scott said. “That would then set up a major constitutional problem because the UK government would be likely to want to retain control over these areas.”

By convention, Westminster must seek the consent of the Scottish parliament for legislation on devolved issues. Any attempt by a UK government to force through changes would be likely to provoke outrage in Scotland — where polls suggest a majority intend to vote to remain in the EU — and boost support for a second independence referendum.

Simple facts - pound has taken a huge hit, credit outlook has been downgraded, cost of borrowing up, Scotland with fresh confidence to go it alone, a broken ruling party with no credible opposition in parliament... no you're right, nothing to see here. Lwt's get back to talkijg about shooting gorillas.

Another bad loser.

What I'm finding most alarming about all this is the number of liberals who don't respect democracy.

Lots of desperate scrambling from people with a vested interest in staying in the EU (and their children).

If the backbiting continues it's going to get very ugly.

Yes I agree completely but there's a problem here. EU member states have to comply with the single market rules which allow for two key points, the EU negotiates trade deals on its members behalf and individual members are not permitted to make other deals. These are two of the arguments against EU membership.

I'm 100% in agreement the EU will wish to trade with us. The issue is the rules. No one country can make a trade deal with the UK without breaking EU rules. The UK has effectively rejected the EU single market rules. We are though in the weaker position meaning if we want trade we will have to accept:

Free movement of labour

Pay in to the EU coffers

Comply with EU legislation

I've yet to see any argument has to how any single EU member will trade with us outside of the single market. I don't think there is one.

You don't need a trade deal to trade. You just buy and sell in an open market.

Just accept the democratic result and shut up. Poor looser.

If you'd have bothered to read the article that was part of the post (not the first time you've done something like that either) you will have realised that what it was saying is that the people with the biggest complaint are the ones who voted 'Brexit' based on two absolutely whopping lies - one of which was plastered right across the 'Leave' tour bus, rather than the so-called losers. Gove, Johnson and Farage will have to explain to those that voted based on these lies why they can't deliver.

Very poor response from you there Al - and it is 'losers', not 'loosers'

So are you telling us that America, China, Australia etc etc do exactly this to trade with the EU? If your assertion were true the whole world would be one common market.

There are 190 plus countries through out the world, most of them ticking along quite nicely without EU membership and whatever you may think Britain can and will prosper outside of that failing club.

I've run out of "likes" for the day so I have to quote this post to show my approval. Limiting the amount of "likes" is counter productive.

Its time we export more to non EU countries like Brazil, Mexico, USA, Canada, south Asia, Mayalsia.

Car companies from the EU will still sell their cars here for the same prices.

I also think countries like France, Holland, Austria and maybe Spain will look at coming out of the EU

It's all threats from the EU. They can be heavily influenced by members though. Imagine what would happen to Spain's economy/tourism industry if Brits boycotted it for a year.

Yes I appreciate what that will do to Spain's economy but are you seriously arguing people who voted to Leave will then boycott to Spain to pressurise a trade deal which favours the UK?

Let's face it Rovers supporters largely won't boycott what's happening in their own backyard.

What price a return for David Milliband?

It will not happen in the near term. Corbyn believes he is answerable to the Labour Party membership rather than the British people, and this is why he will NEVER get in power. Corbyn is a man of protest not a man of power and power requires compromise and partnerships, these are two qualities he does not have.

Unfortunately the Labour Party is now a Trotskyite party, which is why I left it and now watch a once grea Party disintegrate. I. Knew Corbyn in the 80's: he was a Trot then and he is still a Trot now.....he was anti-EU then and and do not have a clue what he is now.

Unfortunately, we're all losers Al - the country, the economy, but especially the man on the street.

Was you this angry at labour when they allowed the countries finances to be raped by the financial institutes during their last reign, which is one of the key reasons why so many people voted to 'leave' as a protest vote.

Corbyn sacks Hilary Benn from the shadow cabinet. The only one on either party's cabinet with a shred of integrity.

Labour will never be elected whilst he is in charge, and have never been credible since they elected the wrong Milliband, allowing the Tories to rule unchecked.

Corbyn still has massive support from the people that count, the party members, so unless he resigns he's going nowhere.

Hilary Benn is a man of integrity, a decent politician and one I'd want in my cabinet and lets not forget his dad wanted out of the EU.

Obviously those countries do not contribute financially to the EU nor, for very practical reasons, do they have free movement of labour. They will though have to comply with EU legislation in many areas.

There is a huge difference between trading across the world with the EU and across the channel.

The EU cannot make us a special case simply because other near neighbours will demand the same. Other states may elect to leave the EU and expect similar treatment. If the EU is to remain strong and navigate the problems it faces its' only choice is to stand firm otherwise it probably will fail.

No it's exactly the same.

Let's face it Rovers supporters largely won't boycott what's happening in their own backyard.

A bizarre and hugely hypocritical comment from one of the most vocal posters against boycotting Ewood.

It will not happen in the near term. Corbyn believes he is answerable to the Labour Party membership rather than the British people, and this is why he will NEVER get in power. Corbyn is a man of protest not a man of power and power requires compromise and partnerships, these are two qualities he does not have.

Unfortunately the Labour Party is now a Trotskyite party, which is why I left it and now watch a once grea Party disintegrate. I. Knew Corbyn in the 80's: he was a Trot then and he is still a Trot now.....he was anti-EU then and and do not have a clue what he is now.

It was interesting listening to Stephen Kinnock on TV this morning - a younger MP (albeit with a dodgy dad) putting forward the theory that the Labour Party (indeed all parties) had to wake up and smell the coffee now in a post-brexit politics. The Lib Dem Rovers fan guy also spoke a lot of sense too. They would be in a pretty strong position now I think if they hadn't sold their soul to the Devil 6 years ago.

It was interesting listening to Stephen Kinnock on TV this morning - a younger MP (albeit with a dodgy dad) putting forward the theory that the Labour Party (indeed all parties) had to wake up and smell the coffee now in a post-brexit politics. The Lib Dem Rovers fan guy also spoke a lot of sense too. They would be in a pretty strong position now I think if they hadn't sold their soul to the Devil 6 years ago.

Yes, Farron and the Lib Dems have come out of this with much credit.

Hilary Benn is a man of integrity, a decent politician and one I'd want in my cabinet and lets not forget his dad wanted out of the EU.

And yet one would expect Benn Jr to lead a post-EU Britain despite it not being the result he wanted - unlike Cameron.

Corbyn could well be ousted if enough of the Labour Party want him out. Under Corbyn it has stopped being the Labour Party and become a red-rosette wearing version of the liberal party.

The next few weeks look set to be lots of squabbling and looking for loopholes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the referendum was declared null and void. Either that or Londonistan breaks away from the rest of the EU and applies to remain in the EU along with Scotland. Both of whom seem to think that they are no longer part of the UK after all. I guess the pretence has finally gone.

Just seen that Hilary Benn was planning to oust Corbyn, if thats true no matter how well meant its a disgrace.

Another example of a politician thats not happy with democracy unless its on their terms.

Just seen that Hilary Benn was planning to oust Corbyn, if thats true no matter how well meant its a disgrace.

Another example of a politician thats not happy with democracy unless its on their terms.

Sorry Gav but Corbyn isnt good enough to be leader.

Most of country wont vote for him.

Where his plans going forward? Never heard of one simple idea from him. Not strong enough on Defence or have any idea how to sort out the NHS, Education or Transport.

Benn should be leader. Hes is strong talking person and good on defence

Obviously those countries do not contribute financially to the EU nor, for very practical reasons, do they have free movement of labour. They will though have to comply with EU legislation in many areas.

There is a huge difference between trading across the world with the EU and across the channel.

The EU cannot make us a special case simply because other near neighbours will demand the same. Other states may elect to leave the EU and expect similar treatment. If the EU is to remain strong and navigate the problems it faces its' only choice is to stand firm otherwise it probably will fail.

We will have the same rights to trade with the EU as the rest of the world and under the same conditions.The club is doomed,other states may well elect to leave (We are already seeing the beginnings of this) but whatever the outcome,your assertion that we will only be allowed trade with the EU if we continue to allow free movement, etc etc is false and misleading

He also voted for the Iraq war and abstained on the Welfare Bill, give me his dad any day of the week.

Sorry Gav but Corbyn isnt good enough to be leader.

Most of country wont vote for him.

Where his plans going forward? Never heard of one simple idea from him. Not strong enough on Defence or have any idea how to sort out the NHS, Education or Transport.

Benn should be leader. Hes is strong talking person and good on defence

That may well be true Chaddy, but he's been elected to office by a massive majority, far too many people seem to be ignoring that.

Why bother voting if Tories in disguise like Hunt and Umunna can force elected members out?

That may well be true Chaddy, but he's been elected to office by a massive majority, far too many people seem to be ignoring that.

Why bother voting if Tories in disguise like Hunt and Umunna can force elected members out?

Lets not forget Labour members and the unions voted for him not the Public.

Like I said no plans for Future. IMO, He doesnt have a clue what to do

Archived