BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phoenix From The Flames

Brilliant. Bet you've a few stories to tell. Biggest moaner on the field? Hardest manager to deal with? Most exciting game? Controversial incidents or awards? No problem if it's not for public domain.

I've been trying to convince my lad to become a referee.

Whilst I was active you needed permission to go public on certain things, particularly anything controversial. Now I am retired (since 2006) there is no such pressure.

Refereeing is now a career and the number of younger officials is at an all time high. The problem is retention.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I was active you needed permission to go public on certain things, particularly anything controversial. Now I am retired (since 2006) there is no such pressure.

Refereeing is now a career and the number of younger officials is at an all time high. The problem is retention.

Tony, I used to work with Phil Richards. Having played in games you have both officiated in, I can observe that he had a totally different reffing style to you. Let me put it this way, you could tell you had actually played the game while he was an officious mouse hunt (rhyming slang). but he did come into work with some great stories on a Monday morning. You should write a book, or at least do a blog or something. I see that Jeff Winter does okay out of some of his stories.....

We have a couple of you young local lads doing well at the minute in the refereeing world. One lives in Leyland and the other in Blackburn. The one who lives in Blackburn was fourth official at Turf Moor not that long ago and got soundly booed when his name and town were read out. He shared the story with me and was quite proud about it. He is a big Rovers fan too.

I know his dad, who was a terrific player in the local leagues.

Tony, I used to work with Phil Richards. Having played in games you have both officiated in, I can observe that he had a totally different reffing style to you. Let me put it this way, you could tell you had actually played the game while he was an officious mouse hunt (rhyming slang). but he did come into work with some great stories on a Monday morning. You should write a book, or at least do a blog or something. I see that Jeff Winter does okay out of some of his stories.....

I know his dad, who was a terrific player in the local leagues.

Yes that's right. I have met both of his parents and they are both rightly proud of him.

I was involved in around 500 games at Football and Premier League level and UEFA as either referee, linesman or fourth official. Geography and allegiance meant I couldn't officiate at Ewood in proper games although I did pre season and testimonial games.

You're not George Courtney, then........

Excellent and I am sure arbitro saw the funny side of that.

That was one of the nicer things! I used to challenge players to come up with something original but they couldn't. I mentioned this to a woman I used to work with. I said to her that she couldn't insult me by saying anything that I hadn't heard before. She thought for a bit and the quipped 'you have got a little dick'. I replied 'how do you know?'.

Is he still alive? I'd like to apologise for hitting him at Valley Parade with a 2 pence. I wish it was a 50 pence coin.

The sooner these Rao's are forced out, the sooner we can rise up the football pyramid. Rather be rid of this death by a thousand cuts. If we have to start from Division 2 so be it.

Not guilty although I got to know George well and he is a lovely man. I used to remind him about Selhurst Park but we were paid back at Wembley. Most referees have skeletons in their closets.

Is he still alive? I'd like to apologise for hitting him at Valley Parade with a 2 pence. I wish it was a 50 pence coin.

The sooner these Rao's are forced out, the sooner we can rise up the football pyramid. Rather be rid of this death by a thousand cuts. If we have to start from Division 2 so be it.

The pies at Bradford were funny

If we somehow force them out, it may be a lot lower than League 2 that we have to start from.

If we somehow force them out, it may be a lot lower than League 2 that we have to start from.

If we are down with the likes of FC United, Chorley and Fylde so be it.

My mate is boycotting Blackpool fan who goes on fylde he loves it ... His mates had a tug of war with Harrogate fans last weekend and who was there star tugger .? The one and only Our Own Jordan

Can't click this thread without hearing ♫ "Phoenix from theeeeeee... Flames Phoenix, From the Flames, Phoeeeeeee... nix!"

Not really getting it. Can you hum the first couple of bars...?

Now who was that other club who used the "phoenix from the flames" motto...ah yes Harchester United!

Well the last few years have been like watching a standard episode of Dream Team. At current rate Kean will probably come back and drive his car into the team coach.

I know some aren't interested at all but here's some interesting stats. The attendance one is interesting as its higher than quite a few league clubs have managed over the season.

http://m.herefordtimes.com/sport/14464689.STATS__Hereford_FC_s_title_triumph_in_numbers/

Apologies if I've upset anyone with the thread, I know Vinjay really didn't like it and it wasn't written to cause offence. It was more of a positive look st the absolute worse case scenario.

Don't be daft its been a great read and shows what can be achieved.

They're off to Wembley soon also having sold 15,000 tickets, I wish them all the best.

Archived