BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cameron Gone, Osborne To Follow?

David Cameron announced his resignation as prime minister Friday after Britain voted to leave the European Union in a referendum that sent shockwaves through Europe.

“It would not be right for me to be the captain that steers our country to next destination,” he said.

The prime minister, speaking outside Number 10 Downing Street, said the “British people have voted to leave the European Union. Their will must be respected.”

George Osborne, the chancellor of the exchequer, is also likely to leave.

In the run-up to the vote, Cameron had insisted he would continue as prime minister regardless of the vote.

There will now be a snap Conservative leadership election to choose the next leader. Calls for a fresh general election to ensure the next government has a mandate to negotiate with the EU will inevitably mount.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Cameron or Osborne but at least they had a ******* plan. There isn't a politician in the Leave camp capable of running the country.

We must have a general election. God knows what's going to happen next.

David Cameron announced his resignation as prime minister Friday after Britain voted to leave the European Union in a referendum that sent shockwaves through Europe.

“It would not be right for me to be the captain that steers our country to next destination,” he said.

The prime minister, speaking outside Number 10 Downing Street, said the “British people have voted to leave the European Union. Their will must be respected.”

George Osborne, the chancellor of the exchequer, is also likely to leave.

In the run-up to the vote, Cameron had insisted he would continue as prime minister regardless of the vote.

There will now be a snap Conservative leadership election to choose the next leader. Calls for a fresh general election to ensure the next government has a mandate to negotiate with the EU will inevitably mount.

You need to include Corbyn in the resignation stakes, after all it is the Labour vote that took us out of the EU.

• Moderation Lead

You need to include Corbyn in the resignation stakes, after all it is the Labour vote that took us out of the EU.

I have to agree tbh. He's not conducted himself very well at all and genuinely don't think he's cut out for mainstream politics, not to mention leading a major political party.

Disagree.

The strongest Labour vote in the country is in London which voted 60-40 to remain. Similarly, Merseyside, Manchester and adjacent boroughs, Cardiff, Leeds and Newcastle all voted remain.

Yes Labour areas did vote leave but look at the Tory shires and that is where the leave vote was most solid. Apart from Cambridge (won from the Lib Dems at the last election), I am struggling to think of many Tory held boroughs outside London which went remain.

History will remember Cameron as a prime minister who gambled the nation’s future on an attempt to appease his own party.

Cameron has possibly caused more damage to this country than any prime minister in history.

At least he had the honour to leave quickly.

Disagree.

The strongest Labour vote in the country is in London which voted 60-40 to remain. Similarly, Merseyside, Manchester and adjacent boroughs, Cardiff, Leeds and Newcastle all voted remain.

Yes Labour areas did vote leave but look at the Tory shires and that is where the leave vote was most solid. Apart from Cambridge (won from the Lib Dems at the last election), I am struggling to think of many Tory held boroughs outside London which went remain.

Disagree by all means, I was making that point after watching it unfold and listening to the "experts"

Will you respect the result Philip ?

History will remember Cameron as a prime minister who gambled the nation’s future on an attempt to appease his own party.

Cameron has possibly caused more damage to this country than any prime minister in history.

I thought it was the population that voted, and the Labour vote swung it to the out position against expectations.

I know (I live there) Just pointing out the the overall Labour message was VERY weak.

Agreed, Labour have to shoulder some of the blame here. Corbyn's heart clearly wasn't in it and it's hard to motivate your core base if that is the case.

Corbyn will probably survive because it seems to be ridiculously difficult to get rid of Labour leaders.

Boris booed and called a @#/? getting into his car.

What a spineless reaction from cameron, he could have taken on the challenge of steering us through these historic changes and cemented his name in the history books for something positive, instead he jps ship, he'll now just be as good as forgotten about in a few years.

At least on one thing ,he stuck to his promise, not like somebody else I could mention. Imagine the mood of the voters 10 years ago when they were promised a vote on the EU might have been a totally different result.

Corbyn was voted in by an overwhelming majority only 12 months ago so he's no need to resign, and the reason we're out this morning is because of the continued attack by the Tories on the poorest and most vulnerable in society and a general lack of affinity to the political elite, people have had enough.

Protest Vote, pity it wasn't in the general election!

I'm disappointed in Cameron. I thought he had more guts than that and I honestly don't see a reasonable alternative. Surely Boris Johnson is not the right man and Corbyn will never be a figurehead. Who then?

I'm disappointed in Cameron. I thought he had more guts than that and I honestly don't see a reasonable alternative. Surely Boris Johnson is not the right man and Corbyn will never be a figurehead. Who then?

Indeed. Proper question Al as I believe you voted for Leave.

Who do you want to lead the country or do you feel there should now be an election to allow the people to chose?

Theresa May has cynically kept her head down as a secret Eurosceptic Remainer.

Apart from the Tory membership being ludicrously elderly now, she is perfectly positioned.

Archived