BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barry Bennell

It's been 2 weeks since Andy Woodward told of his abuse at the hands of former youth coach Barry Bennell. Since then at least 4 other players have come forward, Bennell allegedly tried to take his own life, has been arrested again on abuse charges, a Newcastle youth coach has been implicated, now other names apparently being talked about.

The story has now made its way Stateside; https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/30/the-slow-unraveling-in-english-soccer-of-a-possible-pedophile-ring-that-players-kept-secret-for-decades/?utm_term=.426e547be602

I grew up playing football all over the North West in the late 80's early 90's but have never heard of him. Maybe East Lancs was too far north for him? Maybe I was playing after he'd been rumbled. But I do wonder if he was operating at the same time I was playing youth football. I had friends who had trials at Crewe. City too.

Some of the stores about him are chilling.

How many more are out there?

How did he get away with it?

I had never heard of this guy until this week, but reading that link he appears to have spent time in Jail in the USA. How come this has not been publicised and FA have not come out and brought this to the attention of the media in the UK? Has there been some sort of cover up going on and another round of NDA's signed by all and sundry? The world of football, appears to get murkier by the day.

its scandalous,just read chelski paid a ex player 50k to stop it leaking out that one of there scouts was a peado,were is this going to end.

Just another example of football thinking and acting like its above the law, non disclosure deals are rife as we well know, and it starts at the very top off the game and filters down through every country.

Its rotten to the core blue kiwi and just another reason to fall out of the love with the once beautiful game.

Just another example of football thinking and acting likes it above the law, non disclosure deals are rife as we well know, and it starts at the very to off the game and filters down through every country.

Its rotten to the core blue kiwi and just another reason to fall out of the love with the once beautiful game.

All these NDA's should be investigated as they are simply there to hide things and cover up, usually for wrongdoings. The FA even got Allardyce to sign one and I would wager that the majority of recent Chief Executives at the FA (of which there have been many) have signed them too.

You are correct Gav about football and football people believing they are above the law and I get the feeling this could be about to implode. Only this week I read that Sky have made four senior reporters redundant and they are seriously worried about the number of subscription cancellations.

Just another example of football thinking and acting likes it above the law, non disclosure deals are rife as we well know, and it starts at the very to off the game and filters down through every country.

Yes, I agree. But there is something about organisations and a sense of self preservation. Lets also keep in mind the fact that many other institutions, who should be far more responsible than the rotten to the core FA, engaged in the same closing down, covering up, buying off processes...

Excellent article here which covers the 1997 Dispatches investigation into abuse within football. The press and the FA don't come out it very well. It portrays the FA as more concerned with it's own image than with the victims. They had the chance to investigate then but they didn't and a culture of suppressing the truth has become the norm instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/03/football-child-abuse-dispatches

i know its so wrong whats allegedly happened but why are these coaches being named before a trial? Imagine if they are not actually guilty.

Unfortunately it happens far too often. Careers have been ruined by the unscrupulous newspapers publicising names of people later found not to be guilty.

All these NDA's should be investigated as they are simply there to hide things and cover up, usually for wrongdoings. The FA even got Allardyce to sign one and I would wager that the majority of recent Chief Executives at the FA (of which there have been many) have signed them too.

You are correct Gav about football and football people believing they are above the law and I get the feeling this could be about to implode. Only this week I read that Sky have made four senior reporters redundant and they are seriously worried about the number of subscription cancellations.

What i can not understand with some of these NDA`s is if they are covering up a criminal act , is that not perverting the course of justice.

It's time somebody spoke up on behalf of Catholics. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but there's many a vicar had an interest in the choirboys and scout masters too. It's not by any means confined to Catholic priests

Archived