BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn

It needs the places opening then hopefully they stick it out. Won't happen overnight but get a few places up and running and a half decent summer and off it goes again.

Certainly won't. Young people need money to spend, which requires jobs. Normally businesses go where the money is, whereas recent history of Blackburn seems to be businesses taking a punt - or perhaps being sold a regeneration pitch by the council.

The recent failure of Ed's diner - always an odd choice of location given that The Mall is closed in the evenings - is an example. Pricey food in a town centre of pound shops. (Anyone know why it shut? Ominous that there are signs on the door telling people to keep out).

BHS building being taken over by Wilko is another example. When M&S departs there will only be Debenhams left with any, let's call it, class. If Debenhams ever departs it will be a very sad day indeed for Blackburn.

Is the High Street crap because people are shopping online? Or are people shopping online because the High Street is crap?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this a public toilet by chance? I don't see why this is discriminatory, surely it's just the two use the same entrance.

No it's not, it is what used to be the Seven Trees pub, which clearly has segregated entrances for for male and female

Just seen a sign that says "Ladies and disabled entrance"

Discrimination alive and kicking in Blackburn, didn't have time to take a photo but will do later

Seven trees area by the way.

Burnley miners don't or didn't allow women in the snooker room?

You point is?

That's it? No further thoughts?

I'm presuming this is a Muslim religious building which has separate entrances for men and women. If this is correct I don't see what the issue is if it's a part of the religious practice. Judaism seperates the sexes in some instances.

The Royal and Ancient at St Andrews only permitted women to be members in 2015. I guess we could find other examples if we tried.

True in burnleys case, plenty of places don't allow women in, still don't get your point?

The point is, the sign says women and disabled entrance,

no sign that says men's entrance,

it is discriminatory by design

Why do have any idea why they decided to do that?

I know virtually zero about golf but do know Muirfield has been told it will not host The Open again until it admits women. Perhaps the same pressure was applied to St Andrews?

The point is, the sign says women and disabled entrance,

no sign that says men's entrance,

it is discriminatory by design

So if a sign saying men's entrance is erected you'd be happy?

I'm 100% for sexual equality but if it's a religious practice for the sexes to worship seperatley I don't see an issue. I do agree it would be better to label both entrances.

I haven't noticed you complaining about other instances of sexual inequality.

A shop floor staff member at M&S Preston had an interesting take on why the store was closing and why Christmas shopping was so quiet.

She summarised the problem as online shopping (generally and specifically M&S), people's desire to visit the Trafford Centre or similar for its' perceived variety and avoiding the charity collectors, homeless and Big Issue vendors.

This last point was one I'd never considered. I don't want to see people living on the street because in our society it should not happen and is an indictment of our failures. My shopping habits aren't dictated to by the presence of people in this awful situation.

One of our local Big Issue sellers positions himself outside Booths door. I'm always surprised, and this is a credit to Booths, that he hasn't been moved on. I see him as a great reminder if I can afford Booths £2.50 for a Big Issue is a very small thing. Speaking to the vendors is equally important as buying - the Romanian lady in Chorley gives out hugs!

Chuggers though I'm never happy with though they do seem to have disappeared from Chorley.

Nice sentiments but...

the City center of Manchester every night as i make my way home i must be approached by five of them at least asking for change as i make my way through the center, it's quite a pain every day. Allot can be found in door ways, under scaffolds and bridges and newly EU members harassing people to purchase a big issue. I wouldn't mind if the police actually stopped and moved them on but they don't.

Not to mention the filth they leave behind with random bedding, old tents, food/waste etc. Having to walk through it is surely a matter of public health.

They're not harassing people, they're trying to have a warm bed, food in their belly or water on their lips. The issue here is that it's scandalous we live in a country that has enough money to pay big expenses bills, massive bonuses to CEOs and enough cash to invade countries, but there's people sleeping rough through no fault of their own on our streets.

I'm presuming this is a Muslim religious building which has separate entrances for men and women. If this is correct I don't see what the issue is if it's a part of the religious practice. Judaism seperates the sexes in some instances.

The Royal and Ancient at St Andrews only permitted women to be members in 2015. I guess we could find other examples if we tried.

Need to make a mental note. You believe that discrimination against women is acceptable / justifiable due to religious practises. In Britain. In 2017.

Have I got that right?

I know virtually zero about golf but do know Muirfield has been told it will not host The Open again until it admits women. Perhaps the same pressure was applied to St Andrews?

I'm 100% for sexual equality but if it's a religious practice for the sexes to worship seperatley I don't see an issue. I do agree it would be better to label both entrances.

You want a running commentaryon my life ?

your point is ?

I saw a sign which is discriminatory, in full view on a main road so I made a comment, discrimination has no place in a modern society, can't believe you don't seem to agree just because it is one section of the community.

• Backroom

They're not harassing people, they're trying to have a warm bed, food in their belly or water on their lips. The issue here is that it's scandalous we live in a country that has enough money to pay big expenses bills, massive bonuses to CEOs and enough cash to invade countries, but there's people sleeping rough through no fault of their own on our streets.

Wasn't there a report last year that if we diverted the cost of launching one missile at Syria, we could end homelessness in this country within 6 months or a year or something?

Will try looking it up.

You will use any weasel words to justify the unjustifiable in what Muslims do. It's discrimination against women and you know it but won't admit it.

If some clubs and golf clubs do the same that is difficult to justify too, and is quickly being phased out. Not so in medieval Islam. Although I must admit that a ladies fourball in front of you means slow play and frustration on the golf course but you just get used to it.

Archived