BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Did Graeme Souness get enough credit?

• Backroom

Souness is up there for being a real gent in person, alongside Fergie and Bobby Robson.

Personally, I think 'Sir Graeme Souness' should be mooted after his astonishing accomplishments playing for Liverpool, and his regular first class punditry. The guy is a real footy man.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 0:52 AM, Bigdoggsteel said:

I liked amuroso

He was useless. Putting it mildly. Total liability.

Graeme Souness did brilliantly for the Rovers. Top player, very good manager, decent pundit. Tough uncompromising player. Wish he had competed against Roy Keane.

58 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Amauseless is a typical example of one of Souness' poor buys. His good buys outweigh his poor buys but by the end it was close. A prime example of a manager outliving his shelf life.

At least amaruso was not too pricey unlike Grabbi and Ferguson.

Souness had the right group of players to suit his personality, a lot of men mixed with some top young players who needed discipline. When Jack passed I remember the memorial at Ewood, fans saw Souness and started chanting his name, he came over to us all in the Bburn End quietened us down and said something like "Today is about Jack, sing his name today" and then he clapped us all... That always stuck with me. I know he was always pretty uncompromising but stuff like that forms my opinion of him, on top of that it was a pleasure to watch the young team he had get promoted and to top it with a league cup was great. He left us at the right time, he needed a change and so did we as we were nailed on for relegation at the time after some poor transfer business... Signing Ferguson over Arteta was a bad one, me and my dad both knew that Arteta was the one he should have signed and we were linked with him only a few days before signing Ferguson. 

Even the season we fought to stay up with John Stead I found enjoyable, Everton away when Cole crossed to Stead to score a header... That was the game that pretty much sealed our safety... Never thought we'd win, sunny day, being wound up by @#/? stewards and Everton fans, ball went in... Absolute chaos. Fans on the corner of the pitch, fighting with stewards, Souness had a pot on his arm from beating up his son in law or something... I remember him looking over at us thinking... "That looks fun". 

P.S. Anyone remember that Swedish lad we had on loan called Anderson who played centre midfield that season?

I could never understand why Ferguson flopped down here. He had it all in terms of what you need as an attacking midfield player. I saw him play for Scotland and he was head and shoulders above the rest of the team. When he signed for us I was delighted for us to get such a top class player in at Ewood. He was just showing signs of what he could do when he did his knee at Newcastle and that was that.

i remember that John Stead header very well. It was a glancing, falling backwards type of header from an Andy Cole cross. The thought went through my head that if he tried that 100 times 1 would go in just like that header did. He could do no wrong at the time, everything he did came off. He scored another massively important goal at Fulham with a bobbling shot that my mum could have saved.

I thought Andresen was a steady if unspectacular midfielder. 

9 minutes ago, Neal said:

Souness had the right group of players to suit his personality, a lot of men mixed with some top young players who needed discipline. When Jack passed I remember the memorial at Ewood, fans saw Souness and started chanting his name, he came over to us all in the Bburn End quietened us down and said something like "Today is about Jack, sing his name today" and then he clapped us all... That always stuck with me. I know he was always pretty uncompromising but stuff like that forms my opinion of him, on top of that it was a pleasure to watch the young team he had get promoted and to top it with a league cup was great. He left us at the right time, he needed a change and so did we as we were nailed on for relegation at the time after some poor transfer business... Signing Ferguson over Arteta was a bad one, me and my dad both knew that Arteta was the one he should have signed and we were linked with him only a few days before signing Ferguson. 

Even the season we fought to stay up with John Stead I found enjoyable, Everton away when Cole crossed to Stead to score a header... That was the game that pretty much sealed our safety... Never thought we'd win, sunny day, being wound up by @#/? stewards and Everton fans, ball went in... Absolute chaos. Fans on the corner of the pitch, fighting with stewards, Souness had a pot on his arm from beating up his son in law or something... I remember him looking over at us thinking... "That looks fun". 

P.S. Anyone remember that Swedish lad we had on loan called Anderson who played centre midfield that season?

It certainly was. With Jansen, Duff, Dunn, Gillespie that was a very good team on the eye.

The Cup win was a very good achievement. Go on Sparky, had a blinder in centre mid-field and the very best keeper I have ever seen at Ewood was absolutely superb. Respect to Big Brad Friedal.

22 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didnt we get the two FA cup semis under Hughes? I remember a really tight one against Chelsea,I think Ballack scored the winner for them late on to make it 2-1. We had a really nice team

Lovednus under Hughes,  a team to be respected and one no one fancied playing.  Teams hated to come play us at Ewood.  Hughes for me over Souey.  Souness was great, at first, used to love listening to him.  Sadly I think his own ego was his downfall.  Cost us a potetial legend in Dunny who would never have left but for Souness and probably sold Duffers agaunst his wishes by some accounts.

The three crown jewels he called them and by the time he left we had none of them.  Still, Friedel, Tugay, Berkovic, Bent, Hignett, Mahon, some players he brought in that I enjoyed watching.

Souness was great at first and signed some good players, and was also fortunate to inherit Dunn, Duff and Jansen etc.   Then he started signing garbage like Dominic Matteo,  Amo and Dino  Baggio to replace all the good players he fell out with and it quickly turned sour-ness. 

Still, Tugay and Friedel will always be two of the best players ever to play for Rovers. And he won a trophy. History will be kind to him, even if the team was in a bit of a mess when he left.

4 hours ago, Neal said:

I was at the Everton game near the dugout with the home fans. Loved Souey. By the end of it though he needed to go. Defiantly the game had taken over him and he failed to keep up to date with the modern side of it particularly fitness.

Martin Andresen - On loan from Stabeak. I liked him, box to box player.

The Ferguson transfer was a right F.U. 7.5 million and we gave him away cancelling out clauses owed. Cost us big time. Always felt something was up with Souey and Rangers and the EBT funding.

Archived