BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Baby baby baby baby:

image.jpeg.6cece6cf41d64bc64b22d9c588349481.jpeg

THE casualty list tells its own story. More than 50 youths and girls were treated for fainting and shock, others complained of headaches and earache because of the noise. That was the scene at King George's Hall last night when 2,000 young fans welcomed chart - topping group Slade, back to North East Lancashire with their "Slade's Crazee Nite"

Ten nurses and 10 male attendants from Blackburn branch of the British Red Cross Society, who volunteered for duty at the concert, had a hard job dealing with the casualties at their makeshift first aid post outside the main hall.

Divisional officer Norman Lakin, who was in charge of the operation, said later "Since Slade came on stage we have had a constant stream of fans coming in here. Most of them have been treated for fainting and being crushed in front of the stage."

Crushed 

"We have had one or two ill - with headaches and earache too. This is the hardest job we have ever had at a concert at King George's Hall."

It was no surprise that some fans complained of headache and earache, and that many others were walking round with their fingers in their ears. For Slade are LOUD, too loud to listen to in comfort and certainly too loud for fans to really enjoy their music. Even in the bar at the back of the hall with the doors closed the sound was overpowering.

But it did not seem to deter the hundreds of banner and scarf waving youngsters who packed the auditotium in front of the stage or the hundreds of others upstairs in the balcony.

Football

From the opening blast of "Take Me Bak 'Ome" to the dying echoes of the encore "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" most of them were on their feet, arms in the air, clapping and swaying to the songs that have taken Slade to the top of the charts several times in the past three years.

Even with the so called quieter numbers like "When The Lights Go Out" and their current hit "Everyday" the scenes were more reminiscent of a football match than a pop concert. Slade had the fans chanting 'Rovers, Rovers' and singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone" 

During the most raucous number, "Get Down And Get With It" temporary barriers put up round the stage to cover last month's fire damage gave way under the crush of bodies.

The support group, Beckett, had the unenviable task of opening the show. they have improved a lot since they played at the hall last year, but anyone who wanted to listen to them had to put up with chants of "We want Slade" and banners being waved in front of the group.

They deserved a better audience with a selection of their own songs from their first album, and a version of Neil Young's " Southern Man"

A 15 year old Fulwood girl, Pam Crook, won a cassette recorder in a competition at the interval to find the best dressed Slade fan. 

Howard Foy, Lancashire Evening Telegraph 9/5/1974

Edited by Gav

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Baby baby baby:

THE casualty list tells its own story. More than 50 youths and girls were treated for fainting and shock, others complained of headaches and earache because of the noise. That was the scene at King George's Hall last night when 2,000 young fans welcomed chart - topping group Slade, back to North East Lancashire with their "Slade's Crazee Nite"

Ten nurses and 10 male attendants from Blackburn branch of the British Red Cross Society, who volunteered for duty at the concert, had a hard job dealing with the casualties at their makeshift first aid post outside the main hall.

Divisional officer Norman Lakin, who was in charge of the operation, said later "Since Slade came on stage we have had a constant stream of fans coming in here. Most of them have been treated for fainting and being crushed in front of the stage."

Crushed 

"We have had one or two ill - with headaches and earache too. This is the hardest job we have ever had at a concert at King George's Hall."

It was no surprise that some fans complained of headache and earache, and that many others were walking round with their fingers in their ears. For Slade are LOUD, too loud to listen to in comfort and certainly too loud for fans to really enjoy their music. Even in the bar at the back of the hall with the doors closed the sound was overpowering.

But it did not seem to deter the hundreds of banner and scarf waving youngsters who packed the auditotium in front of the stage or the hundreds of others upstairs in the balcony.

Football

From the opening blast of "Take Me Bak 'Ome" to the dying echoes of the encore "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" most of them were on their feet, arms in the air, clapping and swaying to the songs that have taken Slade to the top of the charts several times in the past three years.

Even with the so called quieter numbers like "When The Lights Go Out" and their current hit "Everyday" the scenes were more reminiscent of a football match than a pop concert. Slade had the fans chanting 'Rovers, Rovers' and singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone" 

During the most raucous number, "Get Down And Get With It" temporary barriers put up round the stage to cover last month's fire damage gave way under the crush of bodies.

The support group, Beckett, had the unenviable task of opening the show. they have improved a lot since they played at the hall last year, but anyone who wanted to listen to them had to put up with chants of "We want Slade" and banners being waved in front of the group.

They deserved a better audience with a selection of their own songs from their first album, and a version of Neil Young's " Southern Man"

A 15 year old Fulwood girl, Pam Crook, won a cassette recorder in a competition at the interval to find the best dressed Slade fan. 

Grapes afterwards.

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

Baby baby baby baby:

Crushed 

Football

I was there with Mrs. DeeCee mk.1 before we were married, was rocking 👍

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I had that gig advert poster on my bedroom wall Gav 😎

Those pics are superb.

I saw the poster above for sale recently - £900 - drawing pins and a rip!!

Edited by Gav

All the pics are from December 1979 and I’m not in any of the after show pics although I did manage to make up for that when they returned in June 1980 thankfully. 

That ‘79 gig remains the best concert I have ever been to, and that includes Live Aid!

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

What year was that @oldjamfan1 and is that you in any of the photos?

• Like 1

KGH was a great venue for music concerts and more. 

I used to frequent the place monthly lin the early 80s when the new wave of British heavy metal took off. Had some great nights there and saw some  great bands. 

Last time I visited was a few years ago to see Jethro Tull. All seats full I think. 

Underated venue IMHO and as good an atmosphere as Manchester Apollo. 

Miss those days. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Those pics are superb.

I saw the poster above for sale recently - £900 - drawing pins and a rip!!

I sold mine to a Jam memorabilia collector 25 years ago. Certainly not for £900 but it did end up in the book that accompanied the Jam box set anthology, which I was chuffed about. Same fella was behind the Jam exhibitions in London and Liverpool 5 or 6 years ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

KGH was a great venue for music concerts and more. 

I used to frequent the place monthly lin the early 80s when the new wave of British heavy metal took off. Had some great nights there and saw some  great bands. 

Last time I visited was a few years ago to see Jethro Tull. All seats full I think. 

Underated venue IMHO and as good an atmosphere as Manchester Apollo. 

Miss those days. 

And the Free Trade Hall👍

11 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

And the Free Trade Hall👍

Don't remind me..... I'm a massive Kate Bush fan and she did a concert there before disappearing off the live scene. I was just to young to get there by myself. 

Her next live gigs here in the UK were 22 nights at Hammersmith which sold out in 15 minutes. 

Another venue in Manchester which was acceptable was the academy... Seen Marillion there a couple of times. 

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just watching The Big Match Revisited on ITV4. Arsenal V Spurs. This song popped into my mind :

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley,

Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury,

Shanks say's no I don't think so,

But I've heard of the Blackburn Agro.

I know the 'tune' rigger but what was the original (if there was one) based on?

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Nope - The pub in the background is a giveaway.

Bernard Sumner? (in white t-shirt)

I can visualise the bloody pub (Adelphi ?) but can't name it.

It's one of those (Gav, you bastard) that ensures you don't sleep because you are traumatised at being unable to come up with the answer!

Tip of my tongue......

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

I know the 'tune' rigger but what was the original (if there was one) based on?

Every set of fans, even the Jocks, know the song. But nobody mentions the original. I can't believe that a song with such a widespread use, is not based on a well known tune. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

Every set of fans, even the Jocks, know the song. But nobody mentions the original. I can't believe that a song with such a widespread use, is not based on a well known tune. 

I've been singing it ever since!

You and that Gav, you're right pains in the arse!! 🤣

32 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Bernard Sumner? (in white t-shirt)

I can visualise the bloody pub (Adelphi ?) but can't name it.

It's one of those (Gav, you bastard) that ensures you don't sleep because you are traumatised at being unable to come up with the answer!

Tip of my tongue......

The pub - An event in 1977.

The chap in the picture - surname is a rank in the Army/Airforce.