BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Pickup - Groundsman

37 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You haven't got an argument or an answer. He's got a BIG promotion, the equivalent in football terms of going from a Championship Academy team to a League 1 first team. Why on earth would he stay at Ewood unless they were offering him the Head Groundman job? He'll be on more money too.

This is Blackburn Rovers. 

They are Fleetwood Town. 

I dont believe any move from here to there represents a promotion. A pay rise yes, but that leads to more concerns and questions. 

We have a Category 1 academy, wonderful facilities and 3 sites to maintain. 

Highbury is a dump and Fleetwood a non league club propped up by their owner.

They've a new training ground yes but that isn't remotely close to what we have at Brockhall.

I don't doubt he's got himself a pay rise. I suppose the question is why? Why does a Rovers supporting groundsman see a move there as a progression in his career?

We all know the answer deep down

Not because Fleetwood is a promotion or a better club. But because they are a professional outfit whereas Rovers are not. Shame but that's now we operate nowadays which is why most people get out of here quickly and we lose staff to lower division clubs.

• Like 1

Oh for Christ sake. This is a total non-story. He’s moved to a lesser club so he can have a bigger role. That happens. It’s food on his families table and has absolutely no reflection on the club. Complete over reaction to a guy going for a better position.

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't doubt he's got himself a pay rise. I suppose the question is why?

“The question is why”? 

The answer is he’s gone from Academy Groundsman to Head Groundsman elsewhere. It’s a promotion of position, title and funds for his family. Total non-story.

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

He's pissed off by the hierarchy...that's why he's moved on

Did he tell you that himself or is this just a complete guess based on your pre-existing position that it MUST be because the club is shit?

I’d guess the latter!

51 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Did he tell you that himself or is this just a complete guess based on your pre-existing position that it MUST be because the club is shit?

I’d guess the latter!

BRFC (as an entity) is certainly not shit pal, quite the contrary!.....Respectfully, get a grip!

PS: Keep guessing btw...you never know, one day you may get one right.

Edited by darrenrover

48 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

BRFC (as an entity) is certainly not shit pal, quite the contrary!.....Respectfully, get a grip!

PS: Keep guessing btw...you never know, one day you may get one right.

You guessed, poorly, without researching. A few people presented the truth with fact to back it up and your response is "get a grip". 

17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You guessed, poorly, without researching. A few people presented the truth with fact to back it up and your response is "get a grip". 

Your comprehension is truly woeful. You're being told to get a grip about BRFC and what it is, not about why the academy groundsman has jumped ship to Fleetwood or why out chief scout has also jumped ship (on the Talking Back podcast that was linked).

The academy groundsmen could well have gone due to a lack of budget to maintain said grounds.

When you fished up on this message board, you claimed you were researching a book. How is that coming? Don't let that keep you here. Of course, the reality is that you're part of the firm providing the Club with Analytics that Mowbray uses for his 'possession based style', not that Mowbray has a style.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

“The question is why”? 

The answer is he’s gone from Academy Groundsman to Head Groundsman elsewhere. It’s a promotion of position, title and funds for his family. Total non-story.

Funds being the operative word. You think he'd have left the club he supports to join mighty Fleetwood for the kudos of having a higher job title/position? No chance

Comes down to cash.

He's getting paid more at Fleetwood. If you're comfortable with that good for you. I find it worrying that our staff are walking out for a pay rise at lower division clubs.

Edited by JHRover

53 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

The academy groundsmen could well have gone due to a lack of budget to maintain said grounds.

Except we simply know that to not be the case, as evidence has been provided as to why the move has occurred. 

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He's getting paid more at Fleetwood. If you're comfortable with that good for you. I find it worrying that our staff are walking out for a pay rise at lower division clubs.

It's not a "pay rise", it's a completely different position. Our academy groundsmen aren't going to be paid more than the 1st team head groundsman at a club one division below - that would be an incredibly silly financial strategy.

First time post.

I don't understand this. I think we should probably celebrate a person getting a promotion and more money for his family. Good for him.

There are concerns for the club, from the poor results to the continued anonymity of our owners and the lack of transparency in future planning. But I don't think we need to attribute every single thing that happens to Mowbray, Venus & Waggott. 

Edited by AndyW
Incorrect language used
  • Like 2

i did hear he was`nt to pleased that mowbray was training the first team at ewood,despite there being indoor facilities at brockhall(tony came up with some nonsence about artificial pitches causing  injuries)it caused an argument as mowbray apparently thought he knew more about grass than the groundsman,as we know the pitch was in a bad way,mr pickup got the blame and it was`nt his fault,due to the above issues,basically he`s just said "stick the  job up your ****,im`e off somewhere they appreciate me"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyW said:

First time post.

I don't understand this. I think we should probably celebrate a person getting a promotion and more money for his family. Good for him.

There are concerns for the club, from the poor results to the continued anonymity of our owners and the lack of transparency in future planning. But I don't think we need to attribute every single thing that happens to Mowbray, Venus & Waggott. 

Welcome to the board.

In and of itself, it may just be one of those things, maybe it’s closer to home for him. But with everything else going on it’s just another example of how badly run we are.

Personally, I think he has moved to get away from the crap here. Even getting the blame for the state of the pitch, despite its overuse for training. The fact that a staff member would even think of having to move from Rovers to a club like Fleetwood to progress is pretty damning and a sign of how far we have fallen.

Like everything over the last ten years though, the real measure is who they replace him with and how they perform.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

I’d guess the latter!

Do either you or Hoochie know the bloke that's leaving personally?

If not your comments that he MUST be on more money at Fleetwood sound at least as speculative as the ones you're criticising.

If you know as much about it as you claim, what's the difference in salary in %age terms between the head groundsman at Fleetwood and the head Academy groundsman here?