BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ownership in Football

I'm concerned to read news that police are investigating after an anti-PIF/Saudi regime/Premiership bosses banner was unfurled by Palace fans in their game against Newcastle.  Croydon Met Police have said they they “received a report of an offensive banner displayed by Crystal Palace fans”. They added: “Officers are assessing the information and carrying out inquiries. Any allegations of racist abuse will be taken very seriously.”

Whilst there's no suggestion yet of any charge being brought against the Palace supporters group responsible for the protest, Holmesdale Fanatics, the fact that this is even being commented upon by police in these terms and investigated is a threat to free speech. The poster features a cartoon man in traditional Saudi male costume wielding a sword and clearly identifies the character as representing PIF, the Saudi-backed organisation that has bought out Newcastle. It also targets the Premier League by listing widely acknowledged Saudi regime human rights' abuses under the heading of "Premier League Owners Test".

The banner is accurate in its accusations against the Saudi regime, down to the symbol of execution, as Saudi Arabia does perform executions. By clearly labelling the Saudi male character with "P.I.F" on his midriff, the banner very obviously seeks to avoid a generalisation aimed at Saudi or Arab males and specify the target to the organisation and its backers, including the crown prince ruler of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman (MBS). In fact, the Saudi character representing PIF on the banner may well be intended to be MBS.

I fear, we are seeing a silencing of free speech and right to protest and debate under extremely weak claims of offensiveness and racism. Even if, as I expect they will, the police don't take this further, the talk of investigation is likely to have a chilling effect on other efforts to publicly comment on the takeover.

I disagree with singling out PIF or Newcastle, for whilst it might be the most egregious example of owners connected, in some way, to human rights abuses, it's not the only such case. However, I strongly believe in not just the right but the need to have this debate publicly and to have the free speech right to criticise the Saudi regime and, especially, their UK collaborators, including the government, no matter how much they are investing in the country.

Wood26:

"The takeover of Newcastle is just another step towards some kind of super league. It’s going to happen in our life time, despite the back track that happened earlier this year. Some kind of NFL model is inevitable.

It will be like how in USA they have the NFL as the main attraction but the EFL (college football) is where the fans go."

Perhaps, that could happen in the current format. If sufficient financial gap builds up between the Premiership contenders and the rest? Effectively, then, you'd have a 24/25 club Super League with no relegation, if you treated the Premier League and the top of the Championship together. In a sense, 

I agree that such is the gulf building up, the European Super League will continue to be pushed. I think the insidious way that it's being done is to expand the Champions's League with more clubs.

image.gif

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

The takeover of Newcastle is just another step towards some kind of super league. It’s going to happen in our life time, despite the back track that happened earlier this year. Some kind of NFL model is inevitable.

It will be like how in USA they have the NFL as the main attraction but the EFL (college football) is where the fans go.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Some sort of plan to get the clubs back under fan ownership needs to be worked out. I can see a political party putting it in their platform in a few years.

It was a Corbyn policy if I'm not mistaken?