BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ownership in Football

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The interesting part about this for me is that even though the Saudis are the majority owners, with 80% of Newcastle, they are in business with Staveley and the Reubens who each own 10%.

The public front of the deal ever since the start has been Staveley - she was the one at St James' Park watching games, she has been the one at the ground this week shaking hands with the fans and doing TV interviews.

If the Saudis were so bothered about getting into football they could have bought any club in the world, at any time, yet have done nothing whilst rival regional powers Abu Dhabi and Qatar have taken over Man City and PSG and before those takeovers were increasing their involvement in the sport through lucrative sponsorship deals with Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, sponsoring Barcelona etc. It looks to me as though they have been sold a 'project' by Staveley who was on the lookout for serious cash to bankroll her plans.

The Saudis could have just cut her out of the equation, bought the whole lot from Mike Ashley and done everything on their own terms, yet are preferring to do it as part of a group. I don't know what that means but it is clearly a different arrangement to the takeovers at City and PSG.

The Saudis are a long way behind on their involvement in the sport. Maybe they've seen the positive publicity it has had for those other powers and fancy a bit of the same, but again I wonder why they are doing it in conjunction with others. The one at Man City was very much driven by the Abu Dhabi group - from the word go they owned the lot and made entirely their own decisions and appointments and followed their global plan with the City Football Group - buying or setting up other clubs around the world.

It will be interesting to see how things go but I'm not sure it is going to be so simple as just blowing everyone out of the water and appointing Zidane or Conte as manager. To begin with I don't think the PL or UEFA will allow it.

"Sack Bruce and get Conte or Zidane in" seems to be a common train of thought by Newcastle fans on Twitter. I'm guessing they assume that it will be that easy to attract a big name manager to St. James Park.

There's no way they'll go straight from Bruce to someone like Conte. They'll probably have a stage like City did where they had Hughes as manager, and signed players like Gareth Barry, Joleon Lescott, Shay Given etc - good, reliable PL players that'll get you up the table a few places, but no established top players yet.

I know he probably wouldn't be an option any time soon but somebody of the ilk of Brendan Rodgers I'm picturing. Maybe establish them in the top 6 or so over a couple/few seasons. At that point they may be able to attract a Conte or similar.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, frosty said:

There's no way they'll go straight from Bruce to someone like Conte. They'll probably have a stage like City did where they had Hughes as manager, and signed players like Gareth Barry, Joleon Lescott, Shay Given etc - good, reliable PL players that'll get you up the table a few places, but no established top players yet.

I know he probably wouldn't be an option any time soon but somebody of the ilk of Brendan Rodgers I'm picturing. Maybe establish them in the top 6 or so over a couple/few seasons. At that point they may be able to attract a Conte or similar.

Dyche 

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I think that a majority of Rovers fans would support it. Weren't Rovers linked with a Qatari takeover at one point?

I spoke to a Newcastle supporting mate of mine about it. He's not bothered about the political side of it at all. 

The Saudi investment fund have fingers in lots of pies including Facebook, Uber, and Twitter. He said that it's too late now to start caring and put the genie back in the bottle. 

The Premier league is global. With only 20 opportunities to join the club (and then have to deal with a potential relegation), membership is prestigious and hard to come by. The Saudi's are playing catch up. The Emiratis (City) Kuwaitis (PSG), and Qatar (World Cup 2022) all have a leg up on them. 

Will they be able to get the players?

They'll want a new manager too. Bruce is competent yet unspectacular. Conte is free, as is Zidane. I wonder what Man U are thinking?

Yes, there was rumoured Qatari interest in Rovers back in 2012/13. The talk at the time was that 3 of the Venky family wanted to sell, but Balaji didn't agree. I don't know how accurate that is, though. I just remember that was the line going around back then.

There's no doubt a large part of our fan base would be celebrating just like a lot of Newcastle fans are doing. The prospect of becoming a big player again after years of dross under Venky's, where all hope has looked lost, would be difficult to turn down.

The worry that I have is that the Premier League could soon become the billionaires playground and where would that leave the rest of us? Quick,  somebody show the Qatari Royal Family Fever Pitch! They'll soon realise that the real story lies in getting Rovers back up there for a 2nd title 😁.

I expect Newcastle to go for experienced Premier League players to begin with, like City did, to gradually build up to the big signings further on down the line. They are already being linked with the likes of Tarkowski, Lingard and so on. Big wages and the way the 'project' is sold could sway some on the fringes at bigger clubs. Van de Beek, Loftus Cheek and the like, possibly.

I think talk of Conte is wild right now and I don't see that happening this early on. Exciting times for them nonetheless and it will be interesting to see how they go about it.

16 hours ago, JHRover said:

The interesting part about this for me is that even though the Saudis are the majority owners, with 80% of Newcastle, they are in business with Staveley and the Reubens who each own 10%.

The public front of the deal ever since the start has been Staveley - she was the one at St James' Park watching games, she has been the one at the ground this week shaking hands with the fans and doing TV interviews.

It will be interesting to see how things go but I'm not sure it is going to be so simple as just blowing everyone out of the water and appointing Zidane or Conte as manager. To begin with I don't think the PL or UEFA will allow it.

From what I have read about the takeover that Saudis are taking actively involved in running the club and the Club non chairman is expecting to be there for the first game according to SSN. 

No one is Conte or Zidane going there. They appoint someone like Lampard. 

from what I have read about the new owners plans there is they want to appoint an experience CEO, Sporting Director and head coach. Plus transfer wise they won't spend stupidly in January and I expected they will buy younger players who will develop and get better in time. Plus the owners need to invest in the Stadium and training ground which need improvement and redevelopment. 

Why would PL and UEFA stop their owners investing in the club along as the meet the Profit and sustainability rules?

17 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I spoke to a Newcastle supporting mate of mine about it. He's not bothered about the political side of it at all. 

The Saudi investment fund have fingers in lots of pies including Facebook, Uber, and Twitter. He said that it's too late now to start caring and put the genie back in the bottle. 

The Premier league is global. With only 20 opportunities to join the club (and then have to deal with a potential relegation), membership is prestigious and hard to come by. The Saudi's are playing catch up. The Emiratis (City) Kuwaitis (PSG), and Qatar (World Cup 2022) all have a leg up on them. 

We have 2 Newcastle fans  at work  and they don't give a toss about the political side of this. They seem it getting rid of Ashley and new owners are here. 

14 hours ago, frosty said:

Look like Frank Lampard is someone that the new owners are speaking too and he could even be appoint before Sunday game from what I read online. Whether its happens we will see. 

They got a new CEO, Sporting Director and Head coach to appoint now they bought the club. 

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If I were a Newcastle fan and the first step the new owners took was to appoint Frank Lampard as manager I'd be very underwhelmed.

They arent going to attract Conte or Zidane at this stage and in my opinion its the last thing they need. Newcastle owners need to put in place a proper footballing structure like experience footballing CEO, Experience Sporting director and head coach. 

I don't expect they been spending 100 million pounds in January but making 3 or 4 good signings that will improve the squad like Dingles defender James Tarwoski, Manchester United Jesse Lingard and Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah. Good sensible and thought-out signings

Lampard seemingly in the run in for the job then purely based on his name and his playing career rather than his managerial history. Surely they can find someone perhaps across Europe with a far better CV/reputation than him.

I find it hard to warm towards Newcastle at all and to be honest would find it hilarious if at all fell apart. The media and seemingly their fans seem to be entitled and see consistent Premier League finishes and 100m spent in the last few seasons as hardships and have treat Steve Bruce horribly in terms of personal insults when to me the job he has done is very similar at Premier League level to Rafa Benitez who for some reason they loved.

If the money indeed is imminently coming, lets hope that it is spent poorly, that they chase the storybook manager ie Lampard and big name past it players and go down this season!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They arent going to attract Conte or Zidane at this stage and in my opinion its the last thing they need.

That's like saying the Rovers couldn't have attracted Dalglish.

If the potential and ambition is there, and more importantly the money is right, they'll be able to attract pretty much anyone.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lampard seemingly in the run in for the job then purely based on his name and his playing career rather than his managerial history. Surely they can find someone perhaps across Europe with a far better CV/reputation than him.

Did a very good job at Chelsea and he was manager who brought through players like James, Mount and etc when they faced a transfer embargo and he got them a top 4 place. 

I think he would be good appointment for Newcastle but I do feel they need to employ the new CEO and Sporting Director first before appointing the new head coach even tho I would sack Bruce today

13 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

That's like saying the Rovers couldn't have attracted Dalglish.

If the potential and ambition is there, and more importantly the money is right, they'll be able to attract pretty much anyone.

Conte turned down Spurs in the summer over the lack of challenging for trophies ability. Plus he has just walk away from Inter Milan last season over budget and ambition. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did a very good job at Chelsea and he was manager who brought through players like James, Mount and etc when they faced a transfer embargo and he got them a top 4 place. 

If they were on an embargo did he have any choice but to play them...? Your statement doesn't make sense.

Any idiot could see they were top players anyway, thus type of player is not waiting in the 23s at toon.  This needs a proper manager like Benitez, etc.  Someone who has won stuff.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think he would be good appointment for Newcastle but I do feel they need to employ the new CEO and Sporting Director first before appointing the new head coach even tho I would sack Bruce today

Conte turned down Spurs in the summer over the lack of challenging for trophies ability. Plus he has just walk away from Inter Milan last season over budget and ambition. 

You've basically just pointed out why Conte could be attracted to Newcastle,they are the richest football owners going plus ambition to make Newcastle a top club challenging for trophies.

• Like 2

Lampard, stop gap to halt the slide, will be able to attract a few decent players in January to improve them.

Stabilise next season, then a marquee manager to attract the big names.

3 year plan? They'll want it immediately, should be interesting.

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Gerrard totally overhyped.  Done a mediocre job in a 2 team league where the other team is in turmoil.  Their European form shows Gerrard up for what he is

Has Rangers' European form shown Gerrard up? In the last 2 full seasons, they qualified from a group ahead of Feyenoord and Young Boys after winning some tricky qualifiers, before knocking out Braga before succumbing to Bayer Leverkusen in the last 16. In the season after, again they got to the last 16, knocking out Galatasaray last season, before topping a group unbeaten and ahead of Benfica.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lampard would be an underwhelming appointment for me if I was a Newcastle fan, very underwhelming actually. I would put him below Gerrard and Eddie Howe even. Conte would be the man, if they could get him that is...

Will a manager of Contes stature want to join a club who will have no champions League football for at the very least 18 month.

Did Lampard do that bad a job at Chelsea?I'd put Gerrard ahead of him but Howe?Not for me.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Has Rangers' European form shown Gerrard up? In the last 2 full seasons, they qualified from a group ahead of Feyenoord and Young Boys after winning some tricky qualifiers, before knocking out Braga before succumbing to Bayer Leverkusen in the last 16. In the season after, again they got to the last 16, knocking out Galatasaray last season, before topping a group unbeaten and ahead of Benfica.

This season they've been shit 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I'd back him to get us up with a couple of quid to spend.  He's done what was asked of him and over taken celtic, they always struggle in Europe but they have beaten a few decent teams.  Maybe a promotion from the championship is his next step.

• Like 3